Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Best Tires  (Read 6414 times)

RedWings11

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Best Tires
« on: June 02, 2016, 09:14:48 PM »

Coming up on 5k on my 14 Street Glide and thought I'd ask for opinions on the best tires. Live in Florida, so lots of heat and humidity for most of the year.

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

Re: Best Tires
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 09:29:53 PM »

Well, it tends to be a subjective thing, but on my 2012 Street Glide I got Michelin Commander II's and really liked them over the stock Dunlops.  Even the guy that installed them (an HD tech doing business on the side) noted that they rode much nicer, and he's tried a few.

I wish Michelin had a fitment for my 15 CVO, I'd almost be willing to install them even before the stock tires are burnt up.  I don't know if they have a fitment for the 14 Street Glide with a 19" front though...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »

Coming up on 5k on my 14 Street Glide and thought I'd ask for opinions on the best tires. Live in Florida, so lots of heat and humidity for most of the year.

There aren't many choices available, especially for the 18" rear.  Currently the only choices I'm aware of in the correct size and load range are the stock Harley branded Dunlops, the American Elite Dunlop, and then brand new offerings from Metzler and Michelin Commander II that will probably be available by the time you get enough miles on the stock tires to require a change.  At this point I can't imagine anyone has had the opportunity to actually put many (or any) miles on the alternatives to the stock tires, so you aren't likely to get many responses.  Just be aware that there are many tires advertised and sold in the stock rear size that were designed for sport bikes and do not have a high enough load rating for your Street Glide.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »

"There aren't many choices available,"

I heard that! Can't blame the tire companies with Harley changing rim sizes like socks.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Boomerscvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »

Shinko 777 are better load ratings and same for speed! I will be putting another set on for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 02:01:00 AM »

There aren't many choices available, especially for the 18" rear.  Currently the only choices I'm aware of in the correct size and load range are the stock Harley branded Dunlops, the American Elite Dunlop, and then brand new offerings from Metzler and Michelin Commander II that will probably be available by the time you get enough miles on the stock tires to require a change.  At this point I can't imagine anyone has had the opportunity to actually put many (or any) miles on the alternatives to the stock tires, so you aren't likely to get many responses.  Just be aware that there are many tires advertised and sold in the stock rear size that were designed for sport bikes and do not have a high enough load rating for your Street Glide.

Jerry
Jerry, any ideas when the Metzlers will be available for our bikes? Understand they may be a bit "stickier" than the stocks. Just put a new front tire on a few thousand miles ago but now need a new rear. I was going to match up the rear with doing a stock tire but was hoping to go to the Metzlers on the next go around which for me because I ride like an idiot will be in about 5000 miles. Should take me around 4 months.
Alan

RedWings11

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »

Appreciate the input from all!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »

I've been buying the stock tires. . I get really good wear and never had had any problems. . . I get about 15k on the rear and the can never wear out a front. . Tho I will change with every other rear. . . . Just my thoughts. .  Stuart.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 10:56:58 PM »

Jerry, any ideas when the Metzlers will be available for our bikes? Understand they may be a bit "stickier" than the stocks. Just put a new front tire on a few thousand miles ago but now need a new rear. I was going to match up the rear with doing a stock tire but was hoping to go to the Metzlers on the next go around which for me because I ride like an idiot will be in about 5000 miles. Should take me around 4 months.

Alan El Cajon Harley is free labor if you buy the tire there.  They answer the phone "El Cajon Harley Davidson...home of the free tire install".    Note:  they will try to sell you some other service "needs" but if you resist that, it's a really good deal. :2vrolijk_21:

Like CVOStu, I've been OK with the stock OEM tires.  Been accused of being an aggressive rider but using OEM tires without any problems is proof that I'm not!  :P  Well, at least next to Alan.....I'm not!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 11:20:28 PM »

Alan El Cajon Harley is free labor if you buy the tire there.  They answer the phone "El Cajon Harley Davidson...home of the free tire install".    Note:  they will try to sell you some other service "needs" but if you resist that, it's a really good deal. :2vrolijk_21:

Like CVOStu, I've been OK with the stock OEM tires.  Been accused of being an aggressive rider but using OEM tires without any problems is proof that I'm not!  :P  Well, at least next to Alan.....I'm not!  :2vrolijk_21:
Cycle visions is doing the same deal with free installation. Im blaming you for only getting 4500 out of this rear tire BTW...  :D
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 11:28:31 PM »

I really don't have any issues with the stock tires either but just thought next time when I do both front and rear I would try the Metzlers just for the heck of it. As long as I don't lose grip figure Im not risking much
Alan

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 03:34:11 AM »

You won't lose grip at all. The Metzlers  are great riding and handling ties but you will wear them right out. They don't last at all.  Too soft of a compound I think. . That's why I quit using them several years ago. . Stuart. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:21:08 PM by cvostu »

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 06:38:20 AM »

"There aren't many choices available,"

I heard that! Can't blame the tire companies with Harley changing rim sizes like socks.
And most all other parts.....a little trick they started in 2000 that put a huge dint in the after-market guys wallets and fattened theirs
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »

Cycle visions is doing the same deal with free installation. Im blaming you for only getting 4500 out of this rear tire BTW...  :D

I think you better blame that S&S 124" for the low mileage. 

By the way Alan, my experience with Metzlers.....they're a softer compound so they stick better and you'll like that while twisting the wick.  But, because they're a softer compound, they  wear out much faster.  Let us know?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »

after a few sets of the hd branded dunlop i switched  to the dunlop american elite. All previous sets of the hd branded howled like crazy and cupped. no problem so far with the elites. jp cycle not a bad price
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.