Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: So it is a scam  (Read 6197 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: So it is a scam
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 10:38:39 AM »

I do the same.  Appears some of them are using computer generated fake Caller IDs, no way to block them effectively.  Yesterday I played Forest Gump with one for about 5 minutes.  Think I enjoyed it a lot more than they did.

The phone companies have the technology to block them, but they don't use it in this country.  At the telecom level they can identify spoofed numbers easily, before the call is routed to you. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »

The phone companies have the technology to block them, but they don't use it in this country.  At the telecom level they can identify spoofed numbers easily, before the call is routed to you. 

Jerry

Agreed.  They could but they won't. Possibly is because they get a cut when some scam call back number is used to dial out of the country. Have read that Congress has considered legislation, apparently enough Congresscritters do not suffer from the scam callers as much because somebody else answers their phones at home. And they love telecom lobby money, long time.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 10:42:18 PM »

Had a problem with them years ago. I recorded the phone company's tones for disconnected number to my answering machine before the greeting. Made their computer think the number was bad. I guess they pass that information to each other. The calls stopped.
RETIRED! :fireman:

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 09:56:15 AM »

Had a problem with them years ago. I recorded the phone company's tones for disconnected number to my answering machine before the greeting. Made their computer think the number was bad. I guess they pass that information to each other. The calls stopped.

Best solution yet....well done   :2vrolijk_21:

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »

Nomorobo seems to work very well and it's free. I have been using it for about 6 months and the calls are intercepted and hung up on after the first ring. It is pretty well rated by PC magazine and others. You have to be with a carrier that supports it though. Some info on it for those interested. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492079,00.asp
T-MAN 117 kit

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »

My understanding of the nomorobo system is that it only works on VOIP systems, and not POTS analog land lines.  So it would be of no help to folks like me who have retained a POTS line.  This system does illustrate however just how easy it would be for the phone companies to set up their own systems, if they actually gave a chit about their customers.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 12:06:22 PM »

Nomorobo seems to work very well and it's free. I have been using it for about 6 months and the calls are intercepted and hung up on after the first ring. It is pretty well rated by PC magazine and others. You have to be with a carrier that supports it though. Some info on it for those interested. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492079,00.asp
Going to have to look into that. While we never answer the house phone or even bother having the ringers or the answering machine on, it gets old seeing 30 missed calls per day on the caller ID. We only have a house phone because it's free and sometimes people call it that might have lost out cell numbers.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »

My understanding of the nomorobo system is that it only works on VOIP systems, and not POTS analog land lines.  So it would be of no help to folks like me who have retained a POTS line.  This system does illustrate however just how easy it would be for the phone companies to set up their own systems, if they actually gave a chit about their customers.

Jerry
As long as you keep paying that phone bill every month, they will tell you they care about you. As a customer facing tech I can tell you that if a customer calls in with a complaint against a tech, it is not taken lightly regardless of the circumstances.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »

If our newly consolidated and thoroughly screwed up countywide 911 system could effectively locate addresses on anything other than POTS calls, the wife and I would have dumped that landline in a heartbeat.  There have been so many publicized screw-ups with the system over the past couple years, with more than a few people losing their life waiting for help, that my wife got nervous about dropping it when I brought the subject up.  AT&T would prefer that everyone drop POTS, since the government won't let them out of their requirements to maintain the system as long as people still use it and depend on it.  It's much cheaper for them to switch everyone to VOIP, and that's why they try so hard to convince folks to do so.

Jerry

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »

If our newly consolidated and thoroughly screwed up countywide 911 system could effectively locate addresses on anything other than POTS calls, the wife and I would have dumped that landline in a heartbeat.  There have been so many publicized screw-ups with the system over the past couple years, with more than a few people losing their life waiting for help, that my wife got nervous about dropping it when I brought the subject up.  AT&T would prefer that everyone drop POTS, since the government won't let them out of their requirements to maintain the system as long as people still use it and depend on it.  It's much cheaper for them to switch everyone to VOIP, and that's why they try so hard to convince folks to do so.

Jerry
Many time I go to a house to install internet and voip and the customer (usually older) is unaware of why other than the fact that they'll be saving money. AT&Greed recently started doing voip for small businesses up to 6 lines. That's been a real fiasco.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 11:24:32 PM »

One I use from time to time when they ask my address is I ask them to hold on so I can go check on the side of the mail box for it and then just lay the phone down for several minutes
Most great stores start with a bad decision
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.