Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Danny Gray Airhawk  (Read 6345 times)

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTC Vivid Black (soon to be for sale!)
Danny Gray Airhawk
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:54:55 PM »

Did a search on thread subj but didn't find what I was looking for. Looked on the DG website at the long haul xl airhawk seats and it doesn't appear they have one for the Rushmore CVO bikes (mine's a 15 Road Glide CVO). Short of calling them up, anyone running this seat on a 14+ CVO? Thanks.
Joe B

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Danny Gray Airhawk
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 07:20:53 AM »

Not much help, but I got one on my '13 SERK.......never go back to "a seat"
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 10:53:42 AM »

Not sure your point of not calling them, that would seem to be the best approach. I had one on my '09, great seat, I tried it on my '15 and it fit fine but I had an opportunity to sell it for what I had paid for it and it didn't have heat as my stock, comfortable, seat did. But if I were to buy another aftermarket seat it would definitely be a DG, I got a thousand comments on the fact that the stitching matched my bike color and that upgrade cost mere pennies.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »

I really liked that DG long haul xl airhawk, but found out I couldn't use my HD backrest (adjustable forward and backward) with it.  Don't remember if they had their own backrest available, but for sure it wouldn't have been adjustable fore and aft.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:52:11 PM »

Not sure on the Danny Gray.

However the Corbin I had on my 12 SERG is now on my 15 SERGU.  So it seems the seats from 09 up should fit as the frame and tank was not changed.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:08:38 PM »

Thanks for the info. I do plan to call them anyway to ask about the seating position relative to stock. As most everyone else, the stock seat on the 15 SERGU has me sitting on the tank and I'd like to be back further. Fitment can be tricky too; Corbin seems to have '08 bikes by themselves, then 09-13, and 14 up. Mustang on the other hand looks to be 08-16. I have the Mustang Super Solo from my previous 09 Elect Glide on the RG now. Did a xcountry run in early May and survived the Mustang but was glad for our stops every 1.5 hrs... Looking for something more comfortable. As I read it, the Corbins are firmer than Mustang, and leather. DG has the air hawk and you have to use their backrest, same situation w/Mustangs w/built in backrest receiver. Earlier on I had a C&C on a Deuce that was really firm and I never got used to it, so I'm not sure how I would do on a Corbin. Need to make the trip to Ormond Bch and try the Dual Tour and Solo Tour out. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Joe B

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »

I've had the DG AIRHAWK and didn't care for it. It was fine until you hit a bump and got the energy up your spine. I prefer the HD Hammock seat that comes with CVO Touring models.

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »

I've had the DG AIRHAWK and didn't care for it. It was fine until you hit a bump and got the energy up your spine. I prefer the HD Hammock seat that comes with CVO Touring models.

If I weren't so close to the tank and foot brake pedal I could probably  like the Hammock too, and it's got heat. But I don't like the slope of the back section, I keep sliding forward even more and an constantly having to push myself back into the seat.

Joe B

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »

Another option. Buy a used tall boy and have Russell Long Day build a custom for you.

http://www.day-long.com

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »

Thanks for the info. I do plan to call them anyway to ask about the seating position relative to stock. As most everyone else, the stock seat on the 15 SERGU has me sitting on the tank and I'd like to be back further. Fitment can be tricky too; Corbin seems to have '08 bikes by themselves, then 09-13, and 14 up. Mustang on the other hand looks to be 08-16. I have the Mustang Super Solo from my previous 09 Elect Glide on the RG now. Did a xcountry run in early May and survived the Mustang but was glad for our stops every 1.5 hrs... Looking for something more comfortable. As I read it, the Corbins are firmer than Mustang, and leather. DG has the air hawk and you have to use their backrest, same situation w/Mustangs w/built in backrest receiver. Earlier on I had a C&C on a Deuce that was really firm and I never got used to it, so I'm not sure how I would do on a Corbin. Need to make the trip to Ormond Bch and try the Dual Tour and Solo Tour out. Cheers.

After several seats on my '15 RGUCVO I bought the Corbin Dual Touring seat with heat. Wife and I love the seat and is great for all day or all week rides. Corbin also has rider and passenger backrest available. Not sure how they work as I've never used a riders backrest. I also purchased the matching TP back rest so it all matches. The Corbin store in Ormond had what I wanted in stock so we rode home on a new seat. They shipped my old seat and backrest home at no charge! May want to give them a call to see what's in stock before riding down there unless you just want to take a ride. Hope this helps.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 08:36:57 PM »

:-\
My current ride is a '14 Street Glide Special.  The stock seat was fairly comfortable,  but I now have a D.G. Airhawk seat on it and it's very comfortable.  Have not taken an extra long ride........several hundred miles,  but I would expect it to work out OK with the ability to add/subtract some "cush" via the air system.

Past rides of mine have had both Corbin and Mustang seats.  A Corbin seat is (genuine leather),  a good thing,  but it is comfortable for only a couple of hundred miles or so (to me).  After that,  your azz will start to squirm and hurt big time.

Had to invest in a "gel" seat pad for my return trip from Milwaukee Rally many years ago..................cause my azz was not gonna tolerate that Corbin (hard seat) for the return trip.   As to the Mustang seats,  they are "OK",  and I must  say have super follow-up customer service if you have a problem. :nixweiss: 

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »

Called DG today and left msg; haven't heard back from them yet. Their availability chart shows the long haul 2up XL air hawk is excludes the CVO/SE bikes. Need an answer on that and seating position - I need to be back off the tank like the Mustang's 1.75". We'll see what they say when they call back.
Joe B

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 11:21:56 PM »

I have posted this before but I have had a DG Airhawk for 43000 miles and it is by far the most comfortable mc seat I have ever had. Last seat I had was a Corbin, Mustang before that and neither is even close. Key is to not pump to much air in it.  I got mine a few years ago I dealt with Sherry and her customer service was world class. I had an issue with the backrest a couple of years after I got the seat and I called her and they not only took care of the problem, they completely went over the seat including putting in the new style Airhawk pad that I didn't even know about. Seat came back looking brand new and I was blown away that they did that without me asking for it.
Alan

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »

Talked to Sherry at DG; she was very helpful. Seems the fitment on CVO bikes has to do with some stick-on strips on top of the fender (to protect the paint). Since the DG seat(s) sit directly on the fender (the underside of their seat pans are carpeted) the strips would interfere with proper fitment. I sent her photos and confirmed my bike didn't have the strips. If they were present, simple matter of pulling them off and seat fits fine. Deal breaker on this seat, however, was that the sitting position was pretty much like stock, not set back away from the tank. She suggested the Airhawk Weekday XL and sent a dimensional sketch with the various measurements. Hope this helps clear up the issue of fitment.
Joe B

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »

Talked to Sherry at DG; she was very helpful. Seems the fitment on CVO bikes has to do with some stick-on strips on top of the fender (to protect the paint). Since the DG seat(s) sit directly on the fender (the underside of their seat pans are carpeted) the strips would interfere with proper fitment. I sent her photos and confirmed my bike didn't have the strips. If they were present, simple matter of pulling them off and seat fits fine. Deal breaker on this seat, however, was that the sitting position was pretty much like stock, not set back away from the tank. She suggested the Airhawk Weekday XL and sent a dimensional sketch with the various measurements. Hope this helps clear up the issue of fitment.
I put my seat over the strips and have never had an issue.
Alan
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.