Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing windshield hardware  (Read 826 times)

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Removing windshield hardware
« on: February 10, 2007, 08:29:29 AM »

I was attempting to remove the horizontal brace across the middle of my windshield when I realized it was somehow attached to the windshield. (this was after I had removed the nuts and bolts, lol) Not sure if HD used an adhesive or what.  Any hints on how to remove without scratching windshield would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
Re: Removing windshield hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »

It is attached with something that is akin' to double-sided tape, of the "real sticky" variety.  I heated it with a hair dryer for a couple of minutes to soften it up, got my fingers under it at one end, and pulled it up.  Came off pretty easy really.  Good luck!
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »

I was attempting to remove the horizontal brace across the middle of my windshield when I realized it was somehow attached to the windshield. (this was after I had removed the nuts and bolts, lol) Not sure if HD used an adhesive or what.  Any hints on how to remove without scratching windshield would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

They use an adhesive, but it's not on that strong. You can get a screwdriver under the trim strip and pry horizontally in the direction of the strip. You'll get enough to get your finger under it. Then start working it across with your fingers. It will eventually pop off because of the curve. If you pry under the strip, you won't see anything, even if you do scratch it. But mine didn't scratch at all. Just stay away from the exposed part of the W/S and you'll be fine! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »

SCRM-R and HOIST - Thanks for the advice. Have been out riding all day or I would have replied sooner. Kinda thought heat might help with a little leverage being applied but then I started wondering if the hardware was not supposed to come off so I didn't want to try anything until I talked to someone who knew. Thanks again. JJ

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.