Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: New to site, new to brand  (Read 5213 times)

Tracy1973

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

New to site, new to brand
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:12:48 PM »

I am Tracy. My husband is turning 40 in September and I want to buy him a CVO for his birthday.

Currently he is without a bike, because he had to lay down his old bike because it was too tall for him and he couldn't reach the ground in a curve and ended up having to push it to the ground since his feet wouldn't reach.

Can I get some suggestions on Harley models to look at? It needs to be something where he can reach the ground with his 31" inseam, and something that is fun for two up rides as well.

Also, can I get some suggestions on a Harley dealership to buy from near Atherton, California?

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Re: New to site, new to brand
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »

Welcome from Toronto, Canada. :bananarock:

Start reading different treads and post. You will find the answers you are looking for. You can lower a bike by replacing the rear shocks or change the seat are two ways to lower a bike. Sometimes wearing boots with a longer heel helps too.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:33:34 PM »

Welcome to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21:

Best way to find out what bike is going to suit your needs is to go to a "Demo Day" at dealerships and ride some bikes. Hard to recommend or suggest a particular bike w/o knowing what your expectations (riding style/distance) and desire (bike style/look).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Tracy1973

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »

Welcome to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21:

Best way to find out what bike is going to suit your needs is to go to a "Demo Day" at dealerships and ride some bikes. Hard to recommend or suggest a particular bike w/o knowing what your expectations (riding style/distance) and desire (bike style/look).

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks. I should mention, I want to surprise my husband with the new bike. So I think going to a demo day would kind of give away the secret!  :D

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:59 PM »

I am Tracy. My husband is turning 40 in September and I want to buy him a CVO for his birthday.

Currently he is without a bike, because he had to lay down his old bike because it was too tall for him and he couldn't reach the ground in a curve and ended up having to push it to the ground since his feet wouldn't reach.

Can I get some suggestions on Harley models to look at? It needs to be something where he can reach the ground with his 31" inseam, and something that is fun for two up rides as well.

Also, can I get some suggestions on a Harley dealership to buy from near Atherton, California?

Exactly how short is he and why would he need to reach the ground in a curve?  :nixweiss:    This really begs for an explanation.

Oh, by the way.....I'm very familuar with Atherton.  One of my projects is on Sand Hill Rd.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »

Welcome from Long Island.

What I can tell you from a vertically challenged position, I am 5'7" and have a 29"-30" inseam and there isn't a Harley I can't ride.  They are generally on the lower ride side as opposed to the other manufacturers. 

Now weight, on the other hand, may be a whole different challenge you want to look at as well.  Harley's are generally heavier than most other brands.

You need to find out if he likes a sporty, cushy, type ride, aggressive position or laid back, forward controls or floorboards, long distance riding with saddle bags/tour pack or bar hopper style. 

There's a lot to consider.  Hope I didn't complicate it too much.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:27:02 PM by dm930 »
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:30:35 PM »

Welcome to the site from The Lowcountry of South Carolina! I have a 29" inseam and I haven't found a Harley that I couldn't ride or sit at a stop light with both feet firmly planted on the ground.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Tracy1973

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:48:31 PM »

Exactly how short is he and why would he need to reach the ground in a curve?  :nixweiss:    This really begs for an explanation.

Oh, by the way.....I'm very familuar with Atherton.  One of my projects is on Sand Hill Rd.

I am not a motorcyclist so I cannot get too technical here. But he was taking a curve (admittedly too fast, so he says) and got to the point where the bike won't stay upright if you don't "scrape" a foot to keep it upright, sort of like riding a skateboard, where you plant a foot on the ground and push. Anyhow, as he could not reach the ground he ended up having to lean deeper and then ended up hitting his foot, and had to make the quick decision to lay down the bike to avoid crashing into the ground uncontrolled. I am just thankful that he had the quick instincts he did!

That is great that you know the Atherton area!! We live in Lindenwood

Tracy1973

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 10:50:03 PM »

Welcome to the site from The Lowcountry of South Carolina! I have a 29" inseam and I haven't found a Harley that I couldn't ride or sit at a stop light with both feet firmly planted on the ground.
Mike
 :drink:

That's great, so with 31" inseam, I hope that he can reach the ground on any bike that Harley makes.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 11:00:27 PM »

Welcome from South Korea.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 05:50:55 AM »

Welcome from PA !!!

Dante
DND

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 07:02:27 AM »

Thanks. I should mention, I want to surprise my husband with the new bike. So I think going to a demo day would kind of give away the secret!  :D
Demo riding the bikes to find out which one fits his physique and riding style IMO will not give away the secret of you surprising him with a bike. Letting someone  (us) on a website suggest/decide what is the best bike for him is a recipe for disaster. :nixweiss:

Can someone "pass me a beer". :confused5: :-\

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 08:00:15 AM »

Welcome to the site.
I understand the desire to surprise your husband but as others have said there are many variables to consider that can only be answered by you and your husband. What exact model with what features is hard to answer if we don't have the info. It's sort of like letting your husband pick an outfit for you to wear without knowing the event you plan to attend and whatever he picks out you will have to wear for several years.
It sounds like from your posts that your husband should attend a Ride Like a Pro course to refresh his riding and improve his skill level too. We all need refresher courses from time to time since we all get rusty or develop bad habits. You could gift him the course as part of reentering riding with the idea that you both want to learn and be as safe as possible. It may help him decide which model of bike he feels comfortable with as well.
https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 08:18:19 AM »

Welcome from SW PA..... JC

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 09:29:15 AM »

It is very hard to pick out a bike for someone else. Do like others have suggested go to a demo day. Giving up the surprise is a small price to pay in order to get a bike that he likes and fits properly. CVO's are very expensive and the last thing you want to do is have to trade one back in two,weeks after purchase. If you insist on it being a secret maybe get one of his friends to help find out what bike you're husband would buy.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 20 queries.