Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Deals Gap Crackdown  (Read 3045 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Deals Gap Crackdown
« on: February 12, 2007, 07:17:51 PM »

I just got the following in an email from a friend:

>
>posted by a State Trooper:
>
>"Hey, just to give you a heads up for next season----we have a new
>captain in the Knoxville district which covers Blount county------
>he has already told us that we will put a stop to the "race track
>driving" up on the dragon this year------so far what they have said
>is that the speed limit is 30mph and "ANYONE" caught going 50mph and
>up will be charged with reckless driving and will be jailed and
>their bike/car will be impounded--- --I am telling you this because
>i am trying to put the word out to everyone i know----or to people
>who know people that go up there-----I don't want to have to take
>people to jail for this---however I have bills to pay and I kind of
>like having a job---so never the less I have to do what i am told to
>do-----so the way i see it is that if killboy.com knows and you know
>and dealsgap.com knows and whoever else can find out can pass this
>along---it will benefit everybody--- -----feel free to copy and past
>this and let everyone know-------if you get caught up there it is
>only your fault because i am trying to pass the word along for
>everybody's sake-----we are not just going to come up from the
>bottom like in years past---they are gonna have us go through
>cherohala skwy in north Carolina and come from the top down to the
>bottom----so no more free rides on your way back to the state
>line----they are gonna bring unmarked cars with radio's and have
>unmarked bikes up there----this will be a joint effort with Blount
>county and the THP-----The entire THP motor unit will be brought in
>2 people at a time(for a week long assignment) to be paired up with
>the local car----they plan on busting tail at least 3-4 times right
>off the bat---then they will sit back and see what takes
>place-----these orders came from Nashville Headquarters- --we have a
>complete brand new higher ranking structure from the very tip top
>spot down----they have said we will work until the problem is
>solved----just wanted to give you and your friends a heads
>up.......... SIGNED... .......Trp Cagle with THP assigned to Blount
>County Division---- (don't come crying to me if you get
>busted----cause I'm telling you now)"

Is this for real?

Chief

Bagger

Re: Deals Gap Crackdown
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:24:31 PM »

I kinda thought this was coming.  I'm up there several times each year........and will probably be up there more often now that we're closer.........and each time I go there, someone dumps.  Be careful up there.  It is a ton of fun, and very addicting.  It is best to get there very early in the morning, or late in the afternoon.  Middle of the day is the worst time because of the crowds.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 07:35:40 PM »

Are they going to have signs posted to warn innocent tourists of their intentions? Seems to me that there's gonna be a lot of unsuspecting people sitting in jail without a bike or car.

I wonder what the bail's gonna be :confused5:

Last year I noticed a lot of sport bikes running track tires, that's hardly legal either.

It doesn't take much to twist it and be going over 50mph in between those twisties.

Hopefully they'll have a paddy wagon the first week or so :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:38:18 PM by Grover »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »

It may or may not be to some lesser or greater extent true.  Orders, especially verbal orders from a troop commander to a trooper would likely be difficult to verify if not otherwise a matter of public record.  Generally, however, beware coincidences that involve names that have been in the news or that might have an ax to grind.

A Trooper Brent Cagle (likely the name from above record) is documented in both case records and new accounts as working the Dragon last August.  It was an unfortunate day that he had to work the fatality accident of a Florida state highway patrolman who had crashed his 2000 Honda CBR.  While working the scene (which would have been bad enough) some asshole apparently came barreling down the mountain.  Trooper Cagle flagged the rider down.  The rider stopped, then stupidly rolled forward in to the oncoming traffic lane and stopped again, then after some discussion with Cagle trying to get the guy off the road and out of harms way the guy on the bike tried to run over him rather than just stopping and taking his medicine.  The trooper was knocked to the ground with only minor injury.  But it's easy to see the man deciding he had a bone to pick with bikes on the dragon.

What's really going on isn't known.  But it's always a good idea to strongly analyze coincidences such as these.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »

Are they going to have signs posted to warn innocent tourists of their intentions? Seems to me that there's gonna be a lot of unsuspecting people sitting in jail without a bike or car.

I wonder what the bail's gonna be :confused5:

Last year I noticed a lot of sport bikes running track tires, that's hardly legal either.

It doesn't take much to twist it and be going over 50mph in between those twisties.

Hopefully they'll have a paddy wagon the first week or so :huepfenlol2:

First let me say that I've been known to "twist the throttle" (ain't that right Mark ;)) so I'm not saying what they are doing is going to be fair after turning the cheek for so long. However from being on the side that has had to go pick up the pieces after accidents I can understand why they want to get control of the situation.

Maybe some of the LEO/Police that are members could better answer this, but in regards to your question of it being posted. I would think the speed limit sign would be sufficient. Along those same lines I believe 20 mph over the speed limit is considered "reckless driving". Can't say for sure, but the impounding of the vehicle for "reckless driving" may be up to the officers discretion. So what they are doing may be just enforcing (to the limit) the rules/laws that are already there. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:48:08 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:04:44 PM »

First let me say that I've been known to "twist the throttle" (ain't that right Mark ;)) so I'm not saying what they are doing is going to be fair after turning the cheek for so long. However from being on the side that has had to go pick up the pieces after accidents I can understand why they want to get control of the situation.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Damn straight Gary!

You Twist it and Twist it Good...WFO baby :2vrolijk_21:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 08:22:16 PM »

I can honestly say, I've never popped a wheelie, nor gone over 50 MPH on the dragon. more like  potato, potato, potato, potato
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Bagger

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 08:24:17 PM »

I can honestly say, I've never popped a wheelie, nor gone over 50 MPH on the dragon. more like  potato, potato, potato, potato

I've never popped a wheelie.....period.......don't know how, don't wanna know how, but I've gone over 50 mph on the dragon.  Not anymore.

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »

Check out this site. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Here's the text.
BULLETIN: We have received numerous emails concerning the recent posting on the Internet by a supposed Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper warning of dire consequences on the Dragon this coming year for speeders. We do not post rumors on this site so we contacted Captain Ray Fletcher of the Knoxville Division Tennessee Highway Patrol. He confirmed as we had believed that some of the details in the post are completely false, such as the immediate arrest and impoundment of vehicles for speeding over 50 mph on the Dragon.

Captain Fletcher was not able to comment on whether or not the post was made by a Trooper, but some of the language, unusual statements and obvious errors as stated above make us believe the post was by someone other than who supposedly signed their name and position to it. Obviously a real Trooper would not jeopardize his job by signing such a post.

Captain Fletcher stated that the laws will be enforced on the Dragon as they are on all Tennessee roadways. Tail of the Dragon advises riders to obey the laws and they will have no trouble with the Tennessee Highway Patrol or Blount County Sheriff Deputies.

We will post relevant news as it occurs in the coming year. Watch for continuous updates.
=======================================================================

To believe or not????:nixweiss:
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 08:47:11 PM »

Wouldn't be suprised, the THP has been catching a lot of bad press for corruption and scandal from the statehouse on down the past few years. They have been way abusive to truckers and others, IAB and the lawsuits are coming down on them hard now. So, lets find other targets that can't complain. Granted some deserve it, but 51 on a straight away or sweeping corner - on your side of the yellow line with no other traffic around - does not warrant vehicle impoundment and Jail, write the ticket, make it hefty, collect the dough and move on.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 08:52:31 PM »

Check out this site. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Here's the text.
BULLETIN: We have received numerous emails concerning the recent posting on the Internet by a supposed Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper warning of dire consequences on the Dragon this coming year for speeders. We do not post rumors on this site so we contacted Captain Ray Fletcher of the Knoxville Division Tennessee Highway Patrol. He confirmed as we had believed that some of the details in the post are completely false, such as the immediate arrest and impoundment of vehicles for speeding over 50 mph on the Dragon.

Captain Fletcher was not able to comment on whether or not the post was made by a Trooper, but some of the language, unusual statements and obvious errors as stated above make us believe the post was by someone other than who supposedly signed their name and position to it. Obviously a real Trooper would not jeopardize his job by signing such a post.

Captain Fletcher stated that the laws will be enforced on the Dragon as they are on all Tennessee roadways. Tail of the Dragon advises riders to obey the laws and they will have no trouble with the Tennessee Highway Patrol or Blount County Sheriff Deputies.

We will post relevant news as it occurs in the coming year. Watch for continuous updates.
=======================================================================

To believe or not????:nixweiss:

Not a surprise.  Given the likely less than coincidental usage of a name recently in the news up there, the circumstances surrounding him and the half-baked manner of the recent "presentation" the whole thing seemed a bit cooked.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 09:14:14 PM »

So, lets find other targets that can't complain. Granted some deserve it, but 51 on a straight away or sweeping corner - on your side of the yellow line with no other traffic around - does not warrant vehicle impoundment and Jail, write the ticket, make it hefty, collect the dough and move on.

I totally agree Ceej

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 10:58:33 PM »

Maybe some of the LEO/Police that are members could better answer this, but in regards to your question of it being posted. I would think the speed limit sign would be sufficient. Along those same lines I believe 20 mph over the speed limit is considered "reckless driving". Can't say for sure, but the impounding of the vehicle for "reckless driving" may be up to the officers discretion. So what they are doing may be just enforcing (to the limit) the rules/laws that are already there. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

d00d, the posting of speed limits is all that is required. The law is the law. In other states the limit must be posted “X” number of feet or miles. I do not know Tenn. or NC law. The taking of a vehicle is pretty uncommon.

A patrol officer has a lot of discretion. Ultimately it is funding. If the higher ups want more enforcement it takes money to put those patrols on the road.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:03:00 PM by hard10 »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 12:08:06 AM »

Some day I hope to ride The Dragon but I have only seen photos and videos so far of the area. That area would be hard to do enforcement operations from what I have seen.
Speed enforcement details can be expensive and time consuming considering. They would have to use extra troopers who would not be answering normal calls for service so that would come from overtime or off-duty troopers unless normal operations are curtailed which has it's own issues.
On a practical side it would be hard to set up radar to accurately get a court defendable reading since not many areas to stop along the road and moving radar could be challenged with all the angles of the roadway and reflective surfaces. Pacing by car and bike would be hard too since normal pacing needs to go on for a set distance with a calibrated police vehicle. Then you have the problem of conducting a safe traffic stop in an area and manner that doesn't create a safety hazard for the trooper as well as the offender and also the other motorist.
Considering all of those factors I would guess the most effective law enforcement efforts would be a police bike that is calibrated with maybe moving or stationary radar to set alongside the road and radio to a roadblock type setup ahead the description of the violator and then they get stopped and issued summons in a safe location or if moving to follow only at a safe speed until a unit ahead can make the stop. Young troopers may want to make the stop at all cost and follow at warp speed but veterans will want to go home at the end of shift and will not risk dieing for a speeder.
States vary on the traffic codes and some states can impound a car for reckless driving others will not for just speed but most states will do more than just impound for racing they will try to confiscate the vehicles involved which means if the effort is successful you would not get it back if it is deemed by the court you were racing not just speeding.
The practical issue for The Dragon area is if the trooper impounds your bike and you are let loose by sumons, what do you do? Walk off of the mountain to a distant town? If he has to take you into custody then that takes him off of his enforcement detail and many violators are not stopped so that doesn't seem efficient. Only possible solution would be a paddy wagon or bus to load all of the violators into and take the group in all in one trip. Again who has the manpower and equipment to make the enforcement practical.
The possible effort could be conducted with media ride-a-long and several arrest and impoundments if it was a political thing for the troopers command and they were responding to public outcries for something to be done. That would spread the word and appease the public for awhile. In that case a short term media campaign does not have to be practical and since it would be short lived it would not be that expensive.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 12:44:45 AM »

VA that was my point. The media blitz would out weigh the cost of actual enforcement. You wouldn't pull someone for speeding in an area that was unsafe for practical reasons. However, reckless driving ie. passing over a doulble yellow line, weaving in and out of traffic, pulling a 'wheelie' would all be probable cause. In the case of added units, it would not make sense to pull officers from rotunie patrols to combat this problem area. A vehicle safty check point along the route would be more effective.

I have seen the television shows on the Dragon where they show sport bike racing up and down this road. I have never driven it myself. It looks to be a little unsafe when there is a lot of traffic.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 20 queries.