Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your boots on....we're going on an adventure!  (Read 3288 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Get your boots on....we're going on an adventure!
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »

I posted on facebook a couple of days ago "get dressed...we're going on an adventure.  Early yesterday I posted to Alan and Mike "get your boots on...we're going on an adventure".  We succeeded!

Left San Diego and headed north.

Mike lead us through De Luz Rd. and in to Old Town Temecula.  From there I led us down historic US395 through Rainbow.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Get your boots on....we're going on an adventure!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »

Soon Alan was leading.  Now we're off the beaten path and way back up in.....who knows where.   He made a turn or two and the road got narrower and narrower but beautiful scenery so we just kept going.  Eventually, we found ourselves on a single lane road that eventually led us up a mountain to a barn behind someobody's home.  Rut-roohhhhh, turn around.

We head down another road and there's an old guy walking down the road and Alan stops and asks him how to get where we want to go.  I heard "well continue on down this road and it turns in to a dirt road.....just keep going......"   I started laughing......Alan's bike doesn't even know what dirt is.   :huepfenlol2:   OK, another U-turn, Alan still leading. 

A few miles down the road Alan turns on his turn signal.  As he makes the right turn and heads up another very scenic road I spot the signs on the other side of the road.....one says "Private Property" and the other sign says "Residents only....no through traffic".  So Mike and I just sit at the intersection and wait.  Eventually Alan finds his way back down.  I turned and told Mike "Alan can't lead any more!".  :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »

See, we learned that Alan suffers from the same thing that Andy suffers from a disease called "directional challenged" and in certain situations and locations can be life threatening.   You guys may know somebody suffering from this little know disease or maybe even suffer from it yourself.   Just this morning Andy text me and told me " it's an uncontrollable condition.  We should get some disability funds from the goverrnment every month".  I believe it's kind of like altizhmers......poor guys shouldn't be let out alone.  :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »

Soon we found our way back out to Pala and on up the Hwy. to Lake Henshaw and more specifically, the Roundup Grill for some incredable b-b-q!  This place has been there for many years however, this family took it over and opened up the b-b-q about 18 months ago so if you're from So Cal this is a destination that you really want to take a ride to.

The b-b-q chicken without the sauce...

and the rack of ribs (note...3 tiers deep).....uuummmmmmmmm

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »

Full belleys....we rolled on down the road and eventually start heading back down towards sea level.  It was a brisk ride.....you guys know how it is, full belley, full tank of gas, a beautiful day and not to hot....just a rollin and keeping a watchful eye on our radar detectors. 

But the narrow two lane, twisty road seems to have more of those pesky tourist type drivers than the law allows and next thing you know.....we may have drifted across the double yellow line a time or two....rut rohhhhh...he was hiding behind a large shrub or bush or something and no radar on.  The rest is history.....

He collects all of our license, registration and insurance info and returns to his car.  Since it was a roadside fruitstand with tables and umbrellas we strolled over and took advantage while the kidn officer practiced his ABCs on his tablet....

and now he comes and asks us for our autograph.  It was definately a day of adventure!

West Coast GTG   

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »

Full belleys....we rolled on down the road and eventually start heading back down towards sea level.  It was a brisk ride.....you guys know how it is, full belley, full tank of gas, a beautiful day and not to hot....just a rollin and keeping a watchful eye on our radar detectors. 

But the narrow two lane, twisty road seems to have more of those pesky tourist type drivers than the law allows and next thing you know.....we may have drifted across the double yellow line a time or two....rut rohhhhh...he was hiding behind a large shrub or bush or something and no radar on.  The rest is history.....

He collects all of our license, registration and insurance info and returns to his car.  Since it was a roadside fruitstand with tables and umbrellas we strolled over and took advantage while the kidn officer practiced his ABCs on his tablet....

and now he comes and asks us for our autograph.  It was definately a day of adventure!

Poor kid was probably thinking "Crazy old Bastards have more money than brains". But he wants to be just like you guys someday.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 12:16:36 PM »

Uh, I always advise my wife if a cop wants to pull us over the responsibility of the lead bike is to do so... If that happens to be me, she knows to keep on rolling with the rest of the group in tow.  Find an appropriate spot down the road to pull the group over and wait for me there.

No sense in us all getting ticketed.  :nixweiss:

Always works for us!  Not that I speed all the time or anything like that.  ;)

Great ride report thus far JC.  Can't wait to continue the adventure with you!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:37:38 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »

Uh, I always advise my wife if a cop wants to pull us over the responsibility of the lead bike is to do so... If that happens to be me, she knows to keep on rolling with the rest of the group in tow.  Find an appropriate spot down the road to pull the group over and wait for me there.

No sense is us all getting ticketed.  :nixweiss:

Always works for us!  Not that I speed all the time or anything like that.  ;)

Great ride report thus far JC.  Can't wait to continue the adventure with you!
I completely screwed up, I was in the back and he passed me and told me to follow him. Like the "boy scout" (don't mean that in a positive way) I am I followed him for quite a while while JC and Miguel looked for a spot to pull over. After he gave us our tickets, he told me he thought I would just pull over turn around and take off the other direction. That made it 100 times worse for me hearing that!! To add insult to injury he knew my cousin who is a sergeant in the CHP but told me he had to write all of us. To JC's credit, he told him that they were fine with him not writing me but no luck..
Yes, I AM AN IDIOT
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »

I completely screwed up, I was in the back and he passed me and told me to follow him. Like the "boy scout" (don't mean that in a positive way) I am I followed him for quite a while while JC and Miguel looked for a spot to pull over. After he gave us our tickets, he told me he thought I would just pull over turn around and take off the other direction. That made it 100 times worse for me hearing that!! To add insult to injury he knew my cousin who is a sergeant in the CHP but told me he had to write all of us. To JC's credit, he told him that they were fine with him not writing me but no luck..
Yes, I AM AN IDIOT

Not that I'm such a saint......but I knew that Mike and I could do traffic school and get it dismissed but that Alan had a ticket about a year ago so he's not elegible for traffic school.

Lesson learned Alan.....try not to beat yourself up to much.....next time you'll know that the next turn to anywhere is where you are headed.   :huepfenlol2:

Grizzly is right, most of the time they want the lead bike.....the person setting the pace.  In Utah, out in the boonies it was the same situation.....he went around Ernie, Andy and Jon and got behind me and pulled me over. No place for them to turn off so they just all cruised right on by and waited down the road a mile or two......so only one ticket.   :2vrolijk_21:

Hey, he had a great attitude and there were several other incidentals that he could have wrote and didn't. 

By the way......now days it's a lot different than back when I used to be a regular at this....especially when it's one of them and several of us.   They may be apprehensive....even nervous.  When he asked for our license, registration and insurance he was talking/focusing on Alan (cause Alan looks like a real gangsta) so I said to him...."I'm going to reach in my back pocket to get my wallet with my license".  He just watched me, no comment.  I then said "my registration and insurance are in my tour pack so I'm going to open it and get those for you".  He replied "go for it and thanks for letting me know what you were doing".  Just take a minute and put yourself in their shoes and it's not hard to understand how some of those shootings occur.  :nixweiss:  Just a suggestion..........grumpy ol men's lives matter too!

Grizzly.....that was just a 189 mile day ride so we're already back home.  But more ride report to follow in a few weeks for another adventure with a few of the fellows......
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:16:53 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

luca65

• CVO1: '16 FLHXSE
    • My longer trips with the Harley
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »

Great report JC, thank you for sharing your adventure.
Regards from Switzerland,
Luca
One life, live it

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »

I'm sure Alan will know better for next time.

Just like his AMEX, JC never leaves home without his camera - no matter how short the day ride, and good for you because many on this site look forward to following your adventures JC.

Funny you mentioned Utah... A number of years ago I was leading approximately 12 bikes to Moab from Bryce Canyon and riding behind three campers for 30 minutes, (due to single lane traffic) it was really getting to me.  When we arrived in a town it went to 4 lanes, so I made my move and the others followed.  Sure enough at the far edge of town out pulls one of Utah's finest and races after us with lights flashing.  He starts to pass 1 or 2 bikes at a time until he reaches me at the front and throws on his siren.  Naturally I pulled over and my wife led the group past me (waving as they did, I might add) down the road a few miles.

After giving me my ticket I kind of surprised the officer by pulling out my camera and saying "say cheese"!  Of course he wasn't impressed at all and wondered what I thought I was doing.  I explained that that was the very first ticket I had ever received while riding my bike and I wanted to remember the moment for all time.  Needless to say, he wasn't amused.  And yes, you bet he was part of that ride report.  ;D

Oh, the things that humour us, eh?

Take care & ride safe.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 07:05:22 PM »

great story.. my first ticket was on veterans day in Tenn.  I didnt want to push the picture thing with the 9.  I did opt to take a class to reduce the ticket... that was pretty painful. 
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »

Great story, great route, great looking food....sorry about the ticket but it doesn't sound like it hindered your enjoyment in any way...

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 21 queries.