Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: A bunch of random questions and observations....  (Read 2525 times)

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
A bunch of random questions and observations....
« on: August 31, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »

Just looked at the red and black CVO SG....and sorry to say I was not impressed with the paint scheme...and that saddens me as I have a deposit on an orange-black or grey-black depending on which trips my trigger. Now to my concerns...there was Laguna orange RG sitting next  to it with really stunning paint.  So the SG was 39,233 as it had a $999 set up fee the RG was 26,2xx.  That folks is 13 K difference...The graphic package just doesn't flow with the reversed color scheme and black slash across the front fender.  Not sure what is going on but the total package just doesn't look like more than 40K out the door. 

I would like opinions....If one were to buy a SG special in Laguna Orange then had all the original bits powder coated gloss black, throwing a stage 3 114 kit into the 107...wondering out loud how much one would save and end up with a better looking bike!  Disregard the innate better resale value of the CVO...The other question would a stage 3 114 based on the shorter stroke 107 give equivalent performance to a stock 114 CVO which has the longer stroke crank...or a 117 if you swapped out the crank? So board members I would like the opinions on these areas of concern.  What say ye?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: A bunch of random questions and observations....
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 07:08:46 PM »

Just looked at the red and black CVO SG....and sorry to say I was not impressed with the paint scheme...and that saddens me as I have a deposit on an orange-black or grey-black depending on which trips my trigger. Now to my concerns...there was Laguna orange RG sitting next  to it with really stunning paint.  So the SG was 39,233 as it had a $999 set up fee the RG was 26,2xx.  That folks is 13 K difference...The graphic package just doesn't flow with the reversed color scheme and black slash across the front fender.  Not sure what is going on but the total package just doesn't look like more than 40K out the door. 

I would like opinions....If one were to buy a SG special in Laguna Orange then had all the original bits powder coated gloss black, throwing a stage 3 114 kit into the 107...wondering out loud how much one would save and end up with a better looking bike!  Disregard the innate better resale value of the CVO...The other question would a stage 3 114 based on the shorter stroke 107 give equivalent performance to a stock 114 CVO which has the longer stroke crank...or a 117 if you swapped out the crank? So board members I would like the opinions on these areas of concern.  What say ye?

A THOUSAND DOLLAR SETUP FEE?   

Jesus Christ copulating a mallard....   Don't worry about the rest of it.  Get you damned deposit back and go someplace else whose business name doesn't translate to Shyster Stealer Asswipe Without Lube Inc.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »

What say ye?

If I said to just stick with the GSA so we don't have to endure months and endless threads of drama in the spring, would you listen?

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »

Now that is funny!  You are probably right. Thanks for the onput...new gsa on order too!!

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:52:45 PM »

I was at a dealer in northern Chicago Sunday pricing a bike and they had a $980 set up fee and $350 doc fee!! I was floored!

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »

Interestingly enough regular setup is $599 at this dealer...CVO setup is $999...plus the freight.  The more I think about your comment about just riding my GSA the more I realize your advice is probably spot on as I found myself not using the 2015 CVO... Maybe I am caught up in the new is better response to the new motor.  When I saw that an orange and black CVO was going to be available it did interest me...as I am a sucker for a pretty face.  Your comment was well intended even if based on frustration... and was received as such, but it does have a ring of truth. I will have a HD back in the garage (hell 90% of my t-shirts say HD on them...and the man cave looks like a HD store...) but need to re think my impulse purchase which was what happened on the 15 bike.  I do appreciate that kick in the a**. 

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:26:35 PM »

Get off the batwing kick and buy that RG. Ride it as it sits for a few months before doing anything to it. You might just like it. :2vrolijk_21:

... and tell the dealer to stuff his 2 hour  prep up his $599 azz.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »

Now that is funny!  You are probably right. Thanks for the onput...new gsa on order too!!

I just couldn't resist.  I have to say, you took it quite well.  I'll be nice, (for) now. :)  Good luck with your decision.  :2vrolijk_21:

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:56 PM »

All in good fun.  I think since I retired I have way too much time on my hands to ponder such things...which end up costing me money.  Thanks again for the reply.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »

Interestingly enough regular setup is $599 at this dealer...CVO setup is $999...plus the freight.  The more I think about your comment about just riding my GSA the more I realize your advice is probably spot on as I found myself not using the 2015 CVO... Maybe I am caught up in the new is better response to the new motor.  When I saw that an orange and black CVO was going to be available it did interest me...as I am a sucker for a pretty face.  Your comment was well intended even if based on frustration... and was received as such, but it does have a ring of truth. I will have a HD back in the garage (hell 90% of my t-shirts say HD on them...and the man cave looks like a HD store...) but need to re think my impulse purchase which was what happened on the 15 bike.  I do appreciate that kick in the a**.

I believe your thinking is headed in the right direction now.  I wouldn't be so quick to get the first year, beta testing, model of anything that's drive train related.  Aside from that, I find it hard to believe that people are still considering and even paying these outrageous set up and doc fees.  I mean if they're just going to give away their money.....throw it my way.  Even if you're going to do it now, run from that dealership.....it's not armed robbery because they're not using a gun.....it's just plain robbery!  To many dealerships that will deal fairly and then fly and take a long ride home.  As the ol' saying went......patience grasshopper (especially if you have something else to ride for awhile).  You asked, so JMHO.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »

I didn't have to pay set-up or shipping on my '09 or '15. They didn't even ask, just waived it, Now I wouldn't pay it and if necessary I would take opinion above and fly if necessary. Rather spend air fare for a trip than give it to dealer for inflated profit.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 03:13:10 PM »

Set up fees and Doc fees are nothing but additional dealer PROFIT period same as a car dealer. They just like car dealers get paid a set fee from the manufacturer to do the setup already.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »

If you also bought a GSA you will not ride the Harley much. I ride my GS 95% of the time. Although the HD got a little more fun with the 117 kit.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 07:14:48 PM »

That is concerning as that is what happened with my 15 CVO...I rode my 13 GSA all over God's green earth while the HD sat.  But after not having a HD in the garage I find myself missing the times that I did ride the HD.  On the slab it was the bike of choice but any other time it was the GSA.  And I wonder out loud if that will happen again.  Funny thing about my 15, I changed nothing on the bike, no windshield, no seat, just highway pegs...because I KNEW that I would not keep the bike on the ride back from the dealer upon pickup.  I really did not give the bike a chance.  And then whined about it on this forum. The other consideration is that I have a  trade in credit at my dealer that can be applied to any new bike purchase within a year of my 15 sale. That amounts to close to $2500 sales tax savings on next purchase.  If it is not used with in one year it is forfeited. That said it makes no sense to buy a 40K bike to save $2500 if I am not going to use it. Still the garage has its "street glide parking only" sign waiting for a bike to be parked next to it....lol! Anyway, thanks for your reply. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:21:45 PM by spook120 »

stevep1794

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 10:35:26 PM »

Set up fees and Doc fees are nothing but additional dealer PROFIT period same as a car dealer. They just like car dealers get paid a set fee from the manufacturer to do the setup already.

Annnnnd WRONG...but typical... Doc fees are set up by each state. Dont believe me? Call your state comptroller and Dept of revenue. You'll get your spoonful of knowledge you are lacking in your diet.

Set up fees...so some wrench is just turning itself while your bike is getting put together in the Service Bay? No tech is doing anything but riding the clock claiming to be "setting up your bike"...keep believing that nonsense too...SMH

FYSA, Bikes come off HD trucks on metal skids...wrapped in white plastics and parts are then taped or wrapped in shrink wrapped to your seat... those just magically unwrap themselves and poof.. on your bike they go?? hahaha... ok!

Set up fees are charged for a reason. Dealerships have to pay the tech to do all the work prior to you taking delivery of your scooter. some dealerships take them off because they set DSRP. a markup so they can cover that and make it look like a discount. If you are buying a CVO SG at MSRP and you are getting those fees waived..by all means buy it. But I'm sure you are, in one form or another.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 20 queries.