Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Dunlop American Elite - mileage?  (Read 19274 times)

Tractor Bubba

• Full CVO Member
  • Life's Short - Eat your dessert first!
    • GA

• CVO1: '19 FLHTK Ultra Limited - Silver Flux/Black Fuse
    • CVO2: '14 FLHRSE Road King - Tribal Orange/Galactic Black
Re: Dunlop American Elite - mileage?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »

OK, so Labor Day weekend I was taking a solo ride on twisty/mountaneous road...
And noticed a "howling type sound" from the rear when going through "higher-speed" curves.
More-so on left-handers...the sound ends when I straighten-up.
I checked the tread depth...still 3/32 tread left on the almost 11k original (rear) tire.

From this series of posts, NOW it's seeming as-if the "howl" is caused by "cupping" of the rear tire?

Question #1: is this just "annoyance" - or is this a "safety issue"?
Question #2: anyone getting quieter operation and/or better mileage/life out of other tire brand?
2019 FLFRTK
2014 FLHRSE6

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »

I have gotten 17K miles on 5 sets of D407 and had tread left.  I religiously keep the pressure at 40 psi or higher and only see minimal cupping...never enough to howl.  But that's just me.  Does howling sound like tinnitus?  :nixweiss:
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »

I have tinnutis, the 'howling' I heard was more of a roar, than the ring.  it's fairly obvious, you lean into a turn, and hear some friction type noise, then straighten up and it's gone.  I don't know that it's loud enough for someone riding with  you to hear, but to the rider, it's pretty evident.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 08:22:58 PM »

I purchased a 2009 street glide last October with 4,200 on it with the stock tires on it. The original owner ran the front tire low on air pressure and the outer edges had minor cupping due to the low pressure. I replaced it this spring with an Dunlop American Elite and the rear tire appeared ok.

At 7,000 miles I started hearing a howl coming from the rear of the bike and I thought that it might be coming from the belt or the tire. It was not the belt and the tire had minimal wear at that point.

We just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to the Michigan UP and it got much worse as we were 2 up and heavily loaded. It was noticeably cupped and I ordered a new AE from my indy shop and I put it on the bike yesterday. The front AE tire has about 4,000 miles on it and it looks excellent.

It has plenty of cornering stick and there is no noise at all on cornering. I will have to see how it works in the wet and what the total mileage will be. The stock HD Dunlop has 9,800 miles on it and it appears that it would have went to 15,000 miles, but the howling and the fact that it was 7 years old made my decision.

My local indy shop has had excellent results with both the Dunlop AE and the Michelin Commander II tires on his Harley customer bikes.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 09:41:30 PM »

I have tinnutis, the 'howling' I heard was more of a roar, than the ring.  it's fairly obvious, you lean into a turn, and hear some friction type noise, then straighten up and it's gone.  I don't know that it's loud enough for someone riding with  you to hear, but to the rider, it's pretty evident.

My rear tire howls when you lean left. Tire is cupped. I just turn the radio up it has thousands of miles of tread life left.  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »

Not directed at anyone specific here but for all youz guys getting 15k + out the rear tires, well ya got to be riding like a lil girl.

To me the AE's are a big hit and I'm monitoring them carefully. Got over 6k on them now and looking good.  :2vrolijk_21:

Just ride

TN

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:48:58 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »

I am convinced that the tire life depends on your watching tire pressure, and riding style.  For us heavier guy they are going to cup and wear faster. Just think about what a couple of hundred extra pounds do when you are leaning in a corner.  As you lean and ride aggressively you are actually build g force which multiplies the extra weight and wear and tear on the tire.

V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »

Not directed at anyone specific here but for all youz guys getting 15k + out the rear tires, well ya got to be riding like a lil girl.

To me the AE's are a big hit and I'm monitoring them carefully. Got over 6k on them now and looking good.  :2vrolijk_21:

Just ride

TN

Says not directed at anyone specific, then directs it at a specific group...

It's all good TN I still love you. I don't ride like a girl but I do ride with the mother of my girl on the back.    ;)

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Rocketman69

• Mr. Roboto
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXCUSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »

Just ride
TN
Think what you want, but I'm far from a conservative rider.  The outer edges of my floorboards are all ground off.  My friends like the spark show.  I live for the twisties, and probably over-do it most of the time.  But a sport bike won't carry all of my chit.

I am convinced that the tire life depends on your watching tire pressure, and riding style.  For us heavier guy they are going to cup and wear faster. Just think about what a couple of hundred extra pounds do when you are leaning in a corner.  As you lean and ride aggressively you are actually build g force which multiplies the extra weight and wear and tear on the tire.
I watch my pressure...but probably not as well as most.  I ride hard.  I fluctuate between 225 and 250 lbs.  Much of the time, I have a BSR.  I carry a lot of gear on longer trips.  I haul an N-Line trailer on the big rides when both of us are along for the trip, especially if we're planning on camping.  Needless to say, I don't take it easy on my tires.  And I still get a ton of miles out of them.  Now....the 18" rear on the FLHXSE3 has worn faster than my 16" on the '09 SG, and it's been cupped for a long time....it's still lasting twice as long as the old D402 they used on the older bikes.  Maybe you guys are pickier about the noise caused by the cupping....maybe you have more money to blow on tires than I do.....but I'm definitely not babying this thing.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »

Gentlemen, I'm inviting you to come take a ride with me, somewhere that twisties abound and let's see what ya got, really. Scraping floorboards will slow you down and proves nothing. Leave yer bitches at home for this one, it won't be for the faint of heart.  8)

I feel the luv

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »

Gentlemen, I'm inviting you to come take a ride with me, somewhere that twisties abound and let's see what ya got, really. Scraping floorboards will slow you down and proves nothing. Leave yer bitches at home for this one, it won't be for the faint of heart.  8)

I feel the luv

TN

I don't ride without momma. I enjoy her company unlike most husbands.  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:11:30 PM by Jswerve »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »

New Elites cured Maybelle's wobble.  It's all good!  Don't know how long they'll last, but probably around 4-5000 miles, like all the rest of 'em.  I'm anal about tire pressure, too.  40 rear, 38, front.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »

Phillip I don't understand either. I'm on my third CVO, One RK and 2 09 CVO RG and 6-7K if I'm lucky. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. But it hard to believe that anyone can get 15k out of one.

BigLew

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 01:12:23 PM »

Phillip I don't understand either. I'm on my third CVO, One RK and 2 09 CVO RG and 6-7K if I'm lucky. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. But it hard to believe that anyone can get 15k out of one.

BigLew
That's nuts. I've replaced mine once I have almost 31k right now and I won't be replacing this one anytime soon  :nixweiss:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 01:33:32 PM »

BigLew

Most of us aren't running 124" WOT.  Having said that, I usually only get about 9k-10k per rear tire and that's down to the wear bar.  Haven't dealt with cupping the last three tires which makes me wonder if some dealerships are using bad tire balancers and don't know it.     I've been accused of being an aggressive rider but that's just a conspiracy.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 20 queries.