Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Dunlop American Elite - mileage?  (Read 19472 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Dunlop American Elite - mileage?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »

Most of us aren't running 124" WOT.  Having said that, I usually only get about 9k-10k per rear tire and that's down to the wear bar.  Haven't dealt with cupping the last three tires which makes me wonder if some dealerships are using bad tire balancers and don't know it.     I've been accused of being an aggressive rider but that's just a conspiracy.  :nixweiss:

Are you still running the stock Dunlop? I am and both have cupped. They use dyna beads now so I wonder what the deal is  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2016, 02:42:26 PM »

When I put the new Elites on, the dyna beads were clumped together in the Dunlop originals.  So, if you're not an everyday, or very frequent rider, dyna beads are worthless.  I went back with chrome wheel weights.  Smoot as silk.  'Cept when they fly off, sometimes!  Lol.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »

On my 10 SEUC, the stock tires were replaced at 17k miles (still had tread but cupped badly) and air pressure maintained regularly.

Replaced them with Elite 3's and they lasted about 15K miles and cupped badly.

Replaced them with Commander 2's and then had accident.

My 14 now has 15k on the stock tires  and again the rear is cupped badly.  Putting Commander 2's on it but don't like the made in Thailand.

Don't ride hard (can't keep up with TN or most of the people on here), maintain air pressure, and still the stock Dunlops and Elites cupped for me.

Will see how the Commanders do.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »

On my 10 SEUC, the stock tires were replaced at 17k miles (still had tread but cupped badly) and air pressure maintained regularly.

Replaced them with Elite 3's and they lasted about 15K miles and cupped badly.

Replaced them with Commander 2's and then had accident.

My 14 now has 15k on the stock tires  and again the rear is cupped badly.  Putting Commander 2's on it but don't like the made in Thailand.

Don't ride hard (can't keep up with TN or most of the people on here), maintain air pressure, and still the stock Dunlops and Elites cupped for me.

Will see how the Commanders do.

Same here Boatman. I check the tire pressure before every ride and maintain 40psi rear and 36psi in the front. Rear always cups.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »

Not directed at anyone specific here but for all youz guys getting 15k + out the rear tires, well ya got to be riding like a lil girl.

To me the AE's are a big hit and I'm monitoring them carefully. Got over 6k on them now and looking good.  :2vrolijk_21:

Just ride

TN

whether I 'ride like a girl' or not, I ride to have fun.  so, I ride harder than some, less than others.  but it's fine for me.

besides, i'm not gonna complain about having to replace tires at 20k.  i'll laugh all the way to the bank :D
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2016, 10:26:57 PM »

All I know is that whenever I put on new motorcycle tires (no matter what brand), I think I have a new bike again.   :huepfenlol2:

Pita

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2016, 10:59:26 PM »

I have a '15 Ultra Limited and rear tire is at 2/32 at 8k miles on stock Dunlop.

I just ordered the Michelin Commander IIs for $328 set; local Harley dealer wanted $299 for a rear tire/Dunlop 408 plus installation.

Installation quote is $50 per tire if you buy tires from dealer-Tuesday install special/$50 per tire. Another dealer wants $173 to change a rear tire plus cost of tire ( 1 1/2 hr labor rate)

So, any suggestions on who I should visit to get a set of tires installed at a reasonable price. What's the average charge for each wheel?

Live in MD if anyone can recommend a shop, etc.

Thanks in advance for suggestions/thoughts.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »

Are you still running the stock Dunlop? I am and both have cupped. They use dyna beads now so I wonder what the deal is  :nixweiss:

Yes, stock OEM Dunlops.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »

Yes, stock OEM Dunlops.

Thanks.

Funny my uncle rode with me yesterday. Stock Dunlops with almost 20k on both front and rear and plenty of tread left. I did notice his rear is cupped on the left side just like mine. Why are they cupping only on the left side??

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »

'10 CUSE5,
Original front, 14,400; AE front 22,000

Original rear,  12,440; AE rear 10,700; AE rear 13,000

Very happy with the AEs, hated original Dunlops.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2016, 01:28:56 PM »

Thanks.

Funny my uncle rode with me yesterday. Stock Dunlops with almost 20k on both front and rear and plenty of tread left. I did notice his rear is cupped on the left side just like mine. Why are they cupping only on the left side??

Do you sit slightly off center to the left perhaps?  Or ride with more stuff in the left bag than in the right?  Or do you just corner harder when turning left?  Perhaps it's just a faulty observation on my part, but for whatever reason I find that not only I but many others seem to be more comfortable cornering aggressively on the left side and a bit more cautious going to the right.  In my case it's the same even at low speeds, where I can easily do a full lock left turn without even thinking about it, but the same full lock turn to the right takes more thought and effort.

Jerry :nixweiss:
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2016, 02:19:36 PM »

Do you sit slightly off center to the left perhaps?  Or ride with more stuff in the left bag than in the right?  Or do you just corner harder when turning left?  Perhaps it's just a faulty observation on my part, but for whatever reason I find that not only I but many others seem to be more comfortable cornering aggressively on the left side and a bit more cautious going to the right.  In my case it's the same even at low speeds, where I can easily do a full lock left turn without even thinking about it, but the same full lock turn to the right takes more thought and effort.

Could it be related to riding on "high crowned" roads... could that possible put more contact on the left side of the tire? :nixweiss:

:fireman:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2016, 05:18:57 PM »

It's 2 different bikes with 2 different riders and riding styles.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 01:18:57 AM »

Thanks.

The drive belt is on the left of a rubber mounted drive train...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 05:28:04 AM »

The drive belt is on the left of a rubber mounted drive train...
Yes it is. There you have it. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.