Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving backrest further back.  (Read 2848 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Moving backrest further back.
« on: September 18, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »

Just pulled the seat off and moved my back rest bracket to the furthest rear position on my '16 CVO RG  Still not enough, this new back rest is much thicker than the '11 backrest. Just not comfortable yet. Too friggin far forward! I'm 6-3

What I am thinking about doing is pulling the seat off, the backrest bracket off slipping the backrest back in the bracket, sticking the bracket in the vise and firing my torch up. I have a little " rosebud" tip that will put a lot of heat in a very small area. Just heat a small spot on the metal part on the backrest right above where it sits on the bracket , low as possible away from everything and push. Thinking it will bend it an inch or so and with the angle should be good. Anyone done this tweak yet, or am I going to be the first??

Any other I ideas?
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Moving backrest further back.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »

You can only go so far back before the slot in the seat will not expand enough to accept the receiver of the backrest. Be careful, as I am sure you will be, with the heat transfer getting to the foam/material of the backrest. I really don't think this will work, the seat will tear from being stretched at the opening. I agree with you regarding the fact new backrest is thicker, I tried my leftover backrest from the SERG and it did work better as far as comfort but was not very appealing visually. Sold it, wished I hadn't.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »

You can only go so far back before the slot in the seat will not expand enough to accept the receiver of the backrest. Be careful, as I am sure you will be, with the heat transfer getting to the foam/material of the backrest. I really don't think this will work, the seat will tear from being stretched at the opening. I agree with you regarding the fact new backrest is thicker, I tried my leftover backrest from the SERG and it did work better as far as comfort but was not very appealing visually. Sold it, wished I hadn't.

I'm with you on that Don. Came up with a much better idea...It's call a Press!. Going to lay the bracket in a press, and give  a nice controlled bend there. Rode about 300 miles to the office in South Texas, other than needed a backrest tweak and a taller windshield. I like it!       

mgardner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »

I went the other way.  I rotated the bars forward a hair.  That solved it for me.  I am not quite as tall as you at 6'2", but long arms made me feel like T Rex holding onto the bars.  Had to pull the cover off and pull a small pin out, but once I figured it out it didn't take long and made the ride more comfortable for me.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 02:17:51 PM »

I've never used my backrest and never wanted to, but to each his own.  I have a question however.  If you find a way to move the rider backrest further back, any passenger over the size of a ten year old is going to have issues.  Do you never carry a passenger?  If you don't, why not look at changing the seat out for a solo model and move the T-P forward?  I know I've seen such setups on Harley's before, so it's doable.

I'm with Don on the potential damage to the seat if you just bend the backrest arms back.  It would also alter the angle of the backrest pad.  If you seriously want to do this, you might be better off fabricating a completely new backrest that only bends after it clears the top of the seat, and then has a second bend to give the correct angle for the pad.   :nixweiss:

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »

Im 6'4 and the backrest on the sundowner did the same thing to me. Shoved me forward. Tried adjusting the mount around but it stretches the opening out badly. Returned the sundowner and bought a mustang. Now its like riding in a recliner.  Super comfortable.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 06:03:15 PM »

I've never used my backrest and never wanted to, but to each his own.  I have a question however.  If you find a way to move the rider backrest further back, any passenger over the size of a ten year old is going to have issues.  Do you never carry a passenger?  If you don't, why not look at changing the seat out for a solo model and move the T-P forward?  I know I've seen such setups on Harley's before, so it's doable.

I'm with Don on the potential damage to the seat if you just bend the backrest arms back.  It would also alter the angle of the backrest pad.  If you seriously want to do this, you might be better off fabricating a completely new backrest that only bends after it clears the top of the seat, and then has a second bend to give the correct angle for the pad.   :nixweiss:

JMHO - Jerry

Appreciate the feed back, Had the bars moved up on delivery, good there. We slipped the backrest in the press and only bent it 1/4" about half way down. Made a nice difference, just about there, was pretty cautious, a little tweak is a lot on the backrest itself because  of the length and angle. Looking like it's not going to put a lot of pressure on the slot in the seat.  A press it the only way to tweak the backrest, you can measure it both in press  and on the bike.         

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 20 queries.