Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2004 SE Deuce - cam chain tensioners  (Read 1033 times)

nijserwin

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

2004 SE Deuce - cam chain tensioners
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:39:13 AM »

Hi guys,

my ride is a 2004 Screamin' Eagle Deuce. i'm now getting to the 30k mile mark i am getting a bit worried about the cam chain tensioners. they'll probably need replacing soon. haven't checked them yet though.

I was looking at the upgrade kit (part no 25284-11) but it doesn't include my bike in the fitment tab. However the normal deuce is. Is there a difference between the TC88 of the normal deuce and the TC95 of the SE Deuce? does the upgrade kit not fit the TC95?

what would you guys suggest if the tensioners need to be replaced?

- just replace the tensioner shoes
- install the SE upgrade kit

I would appreciate your input guys.

Thanks!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2004 SE Deuce - cam chain tensioners
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »

Harley has always had a problem getting fitment information right, I have no idea why it's so tough for them.  The kit fits the CVO models with the early Twin Cam engines as well as the standard models.

If your current oil pump is in good shape and you're having no oil system problems, and the tensioner shoes aren't severely worn with chunks missing, you could just replace the shoes.  If your oil pressure isn't what it used to be when new and the tensioners have shed a lot of particles that tended to cause oil pump wear and bypass valve sticking, odds are the pump and plate could stand to be upgraded.  If you plan to keep this bike for a long time and add a lot of miles, I'd suggest doing the kit versus just changing the shoes.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.