Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Indian Paint Problem....  (Read 4138 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Indian Paint Problem....
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »

Discloser, I got this off the Indian forum

I am thinking about getting another bike and was leaning toward a Indian.  So I started surfing their forum to get some customer feedback when I came across a thread on paint issues.  There were a couple of issues on paint flaking, mostly on saddlebag lids, under the lip, no big deal, than PA-POW.

Flaking on fenders and tanks......the poster of the photo stated that the bike was out of warranty and that Indian would not assist. Which I find unbelievable.

Anyway, just thought I would share and as the saying goes "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't know"

mark

Re: Indian Paint Problem....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »

I bought a two-tone Indian Roadmaster in March...garage kept, no paint issues at all.  When I see posts such as the one you referred to, I want to know the history of the bike, i.e., was it kept near the beach and rarely washed, did the owner store it in his shed beside 500 lbs of fertilizer, etc.? Looking at the pic you posted, it appears the leather had not been maintained by the owner too...is that an indication of his maintence of the whole bike?  Indian, like any other company, can't produce perfect products...is it possible this guy just got that "one."  I see on your pic you're standing beside a yellow SESG.  Didn't HD have to discontinue that paint scheme suddenly, in mid-year, due to poor paint?  I seem to recall many complaints on this forum about 2015 CVO paint issues.

The Indian poster also said the bike was out of warranty, so it wasn't covered by Indian.  You seem surprised; however, I wouldn't expect a manufacturer extend coverage past their stated warranty period. 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:46:39 PM by Mark »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »

I agree that we don't know the history and facts and heck it may even have been repainted. I also don't know how long out of warranty it is (one month or two years). If this is truly as it is presented and only a few years old I think the manufacturer should cover this.  Besides the bad press and that everyone will see it is the overall customer satisfaction that keeps customers. I know it is out of warranty and even if you never clean the bike the paint shouldn't come off like this. It looks like bad prep on the tank. An example is my current bike. My right saddle bag came off going down the highway.  This is about three months after the warranty ran out. I had already had the recall done a year or so ago but still it came off.  My dealer talked too Harley, took pictures and explained my POV that it shouldn't come off. Harley Davidson agreed and they covered the whole thing.  That is customer service. I have told everyone (including on this forum) so the dealer and HD are both getting good press.  Just my two cents!

UK1

• CVO1: 2012 Skunk (blew up)
    • CVO2: 2018 Gray
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »

Along with my `12 Skunk, I have a Dark Horse. 14 months, not one issue, including paint.

mark

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »

Very cool DH.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »

That is really different looking all blacked out like that!  Is the windshield as dark as it looks in the picture?

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »

Discloser, I got this off the Indian forum

I am thinking about getting another bike and was leaning toward a Indian.  So I started surfing their forum to get some customer feedback when I came across a thread on paint issues.  There were a couple of issues on paint flaking, mostly on saddlebag lids, under the lip, no big deal, than PA-POW.

Flaking on fenders and tanks......the poster of the photo stated that the bike was out of warranty and that Indian would not assist. Which I find unbelievable.

Anyway, just thought I would share and as the saying goes "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't know"

I've seen cases where HD did do a goodwill gesture on out of warranty claims but not automatic. Lots of variables here. I do like to hear real world experiences in this dept.

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 02:32:57 PM »

I traded away my @014 CVO Limtited for the new Indian RM. I am well pleased. The whole story is Harley paint is generally better than Indians but the 2017s are getting better. There are however categories that i would give the nod in favor to Indian over Harley.

Be careful reading forums to judge a motor company. If non Harley owners come on here and read they may think Harley is a poor motorcycle.

UK1

• CVO1: 2012 Skunk (blew up)
    • CVO2: 2018 Gray
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 04:34:11 AM »

That is really different looking all blacked out like that!  Is the windshield as dark as it looks in the picture?
Not as dark as the picture looks, you can still see through it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »

Most people in the business have acknowledged over the years that the Harley factory paint jobs are better than those of their main competitors.  I tend to agree.  But the CVO paint jobs aren't done by Harley, and those have had a very spotty history no matter which outside vendor has been involved.  So don't compare apples to footballs.

In the overall scheme of things, I think I'd rather have a mediocre paint job and a good powertrain, versus the opposite.  But there again I'm not the typical Harley owner and don't prefer style over function.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 10:00:46 AM »

Be careful reading forums to judge a motor company. If non Harley owners come on here and read they may think Harley is a poor motorcycle.

Absolutely true. But generally speaking, that's how most non Harly owners feel about Harley's without reading this forum. :)

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »

Along with my `12 Skunk, I have a Dark Horse. 14 months, not one issue, including paint.

Very nice looking bike!
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »

I thought the CVO'S were painted at the factory now rather than an outside vendor. :nixweiss: I thought that changed a couple years back.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.