Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Advice on choosing between Fueling and S&S lifters  (Read 15543 times)

Flatvalley

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ND

Advice on choosing between Fueling and S&S lifters
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »

Looking for advice on which lifters to install in my 14 ultra.  The bike has 11,000 miles and currently isn't making any noticeable new noise since purchased.  Based upon what I have read on this forum, I am planning on having the lifters replaced.  I really have no experience in this area as this is my first Harley, so, I want to replace them before any noticed problems.  If changing, seems most here are preferring S&S.  The Harley shop I am working with prefers Fueling lifters.  I also don't understand what it means to have limiters in the lifters.  Are limiters the HL2T kit referenced on the S&S page.?  Other than a Fulsac exhaust system on the bike, the engine remains stock.  So the question, which lifters do you recommend.  Thanks in advance for your expertise and opinions. 
2014 Ultra limited CVO
2005 GL1800
2003 VTX1800S

msquad

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

Re: Advice on choosing between Fueling and S&S lifters
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »

Btw, I have also seen recommended changing the valve springs too.  To the beehive type.   I'm interested in lifters and valve springs myself. 

I would also like to see what lifters to use (part number?).  This could be a good thread to see what to use for both of these. 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 11:41:05 AM »

With Stage 1 110's, most people put in S&S premium lifters without limiters and stock push rods. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »

You do not need limiters for a street bike.  As for the Fueling versus S&S question, I've heard of more than a few failures with Fueling lifters, so far I haven't heard the same about either version of the S&S lifters, regular or premium.  Far from scientific I know, but if it were me planning to buy new lifters (and I may do so next spring), it would be S&S.

As for the spring question, if all you're looking for is to improve your chances of a set of lifters not self destructing, it's not so much about the design of the spring as it is the spring rate.  The heavy valves and stock cam design combined with the too strong stock valve springs lead to the lifter rollers taking a beating.  For a good answer to that question you need to consult one of the head experts.  We have several on the site.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »

A few years back when I asked the "lifter question" S&S Premuim Lifters were suggested > 10:1 over any other lifter.

'Having dealt directly with both feuling and S&S,,, S&S hands down, :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: great products, Great Customer Support!! In my personal experience, S&S stands behind their products (as good as or) better than anyone else, feuling has terrible support and does not stand behind their products...

Travel Limiters are not needed, I am running 625 Cams and S&S has always told me not to run limiters... 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:01:13 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »

You do not need limiters for a street bike.  As for the Fueling versus S&S question, I've heard of more than a few failures with Fueling lifters, so far I haven't heard the same about either version of the S&S lifters, regular or premium.  Far from scientific I know, but if it were me planning to buy new lifters (and I may do so next spring), it would be S&S.

As for the spring question, if all you're looking for is to improve your chances of a set of lifters not self destructing, it's not so much about the design of the spring as it is the spring rate.  The heavy valves and stock cam design combined with the too strong stock valve springs lead to the lifter rollers taking a beating.  For a good answer to that question you need to consult one of the head experts.  We have several on the site.

Jerry

One distinction on the Feulings; at least in my experience or the anecdotes shared I'm aware of.  Seen or know of a few failures with the more expensive Feuling "Race" lifters but nothing extraordinary with their lesser expensive "HP+" version.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »

After having been through the originals, Screamin Eagle, Fueling and S&S lifters, the last time and the next time the bike will get just plain stock lifters.
The S&S I had put in had the shortest time in the bike, 4000 miles.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 04:05:48 PM »

The S&S I had put in had the shortest time in the bike, 4000 miles.
and what about the great customer support which has been referred to ?
did they give you another set
or once bitten, twice shy for you ?

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »

35k miles the S&S lifters in my 13 RG, no issues and have never touched them since the install. i do have the limiters in mine only because cam lift is over .600, some say not needed and some say needed at over .600 lift but thats another conversation.  no experiences with fueling.  S&S is what i would recomend
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 06:22:20 PM »

Any aftermarket lifters I use are S&S. IMO, simply the best of what's available.  ;)
John

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »

I only use S&S lifters also,have used them to replace alot of the "gimmicky" lifters out there too

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 08:02:24 PM »

I have used Feuling in several builds including .650 lift Woods 400&408g cams in heavy spring CNC HTCC heads. 20k on it when sold and no problem. Other builds were 103 with stock heads and Andrews 57 cams and one Zippers 577 cam.  All no problems with miles and miles. Did have a SE lifter fail ten years ago. Never used S&S but they got a good utube video on feeding oil. Never heard a complaint on them either
Will

Flatvalley

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ND

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 09:26:16 AM »

Thank of you for your input.  Based on the response, I will contact my Harley dealer and request they install the S&S lifter without the limiters as well as the quickie S&S adjustable pushrods rather than the Fueling lifters as per their preference.  Again, thanks for your advice. 
2014 Ultra limited CVO
2005 GL1800
2003 VTX1800S

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »

Thank of you for your input.  Based on the response, I will contact my Harley dealer and request they install the S&S lifter without the limiters as well as the quickie S&S adjustable pushrods rather than the Fueling lifters as per their preference.  Again, thanks for your advice.

S&S has 3 lifters available: standard, premium, and premium with limiters.

Make sure they get the premiums without limiters.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 07:47:25 AM »

switch out springs with a set of AV&V beehives too
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.