Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: My guess is collapsed lifter 17k miles  (Read 4195 times)

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
My guess is collapsed lifter 17k miles
« on: January 09, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »

On a bucket list trip this past week riding the keys with three other guys and develop a massive knocking sound. South Miami Harley thinks its a collapsed lifter and of course whatever damage that will come along with that. Not sure if any of it will be covered. Won't know until tomorrow if I can get any help from Harley.

Thinking I need to do the upgrade now. Currently running TTS, Fullsac DX pipe and 2.0 cores. Loved it but want much more.
Harley has the 117 kit for about $2100. What else do I need to do to maximize power for touring and two up. I am a bit of a throttle jockey while riding solo and will enjoy the max power I can get on this rebuild but still be able to run two up with tour pack often.

Can anyone make a proper suggestion of direction to go? Is 130hp/tq possible without splitting the cases and pulling motor? Is head work necessary? I'm thinking head work will really add gains to the build. Is there one guy I can deal with here on our site?

Thanks ahead

Its a 2015 CVO SG

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
Re: My guess is collapsed lifter 17k miles
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »

Sorry bout your mishap. Unfortunately, pretty common thing with the CVO 110" motors.

Perfect time for the upgrade, and there isn't really anyone who's not happy with their upgrade.

Check out the Harley 117" motor kit in this same section. Grab a cold one and enjoy some good quality reading!

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »

On a bucket list trip this past week riding the keys with three other guys and develop a massive knocking sound. South Miami Harley thinks its a collapsed lifter and of course whatever damage that will come along with that. Not sure if any of it will be covered. Won't know until tomorrow if I can get any help from Harley.

Thinking I need to do the upgrade now. Currently running TTS, Fullsac DX pipe and 2.0 cores. Loved it but want much more.
Harley has the 117 kit for about $2100. What else do I need to do to maximize power for touring and two up. I am a bit of a throttle jockey while riding solo and will enjoy the max power I can get on this rebuild but still be able to run two up with tour pack often.

Can anyone make a proper suggestion of direction to go? Is 130hp/tq possible without splitting the cases and pulling motor? Is head work necessary? I'm thinking head work will really add gains to the build. Is there one guy I can deal with here on our site?

Thanks ahead

Its a 2015 CVO SG
It will take headwork to reach your goal.
John

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »

It will take headwork to reach your goal.
John

ya think??!! did you move to Deltona john?

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:04:18 AM »

Thanks ahead

Its a 2015 CVO SG

if your wanting a 130+,very reliable touring motor,ide look at doing a mild,touring 124".easy 135+ /145+ with better than stock reliability

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »

up with tour pack often.

Thanks ahead

Its a 2015 CVO SG

My 15 CVO Road Glide Ultra had lifter fail and take out cam and other stuff at 43,800 miles.  Covered by HD warranty. 

I did build my 13 CVO King, with the HD 117 Jugs to 138 hp and 140 Torque.  To get in the 130 for both I'm sure head work will be needed, most likely you will need more compression than the HD pistons also.

This thread with 85 pages on building the 117 can provide you lots of information.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=105913.0
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:37:26 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 06:55:43 PM »

ya think??!! did you move to Deltona john?
Yes, 8-1-16.

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »

Yes, 8-1-16.

Just 2 towns over,we'll have get together for lunch sometime

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »

Thanks guys, took the bike to the dealership tonight. They will tear into it and see how much damage is in there. The 124 build with the new crank looks tempting for sure!

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 09:03:44 AM »

Thanks ahead

Its a 2015 CVO SG
Are you under warranty, if so why wouldn't it be covered and repaired? Also, sometimes the Harley shops are not the best for engine / motor modifications unless they have an accomplished engine / motor builder. At my local Dealerships we have 16 techs that can rebuild motors however, there are 2 that can design and build motors.  prodrag1320 suggesting a 124" seems to be the perfect solution for your wants, you have to decide who is reputable enough to do it.

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »

Past two year warranty just barely. No love from Harley either.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »

Past two year warranty just barely. No love from Harley either.
H-D has been known to make 'goodwill' repairs / discounts even if out of warranty.  I would certainly contact them and plead my case as this is a known weak point in the 110 motors expecially - in spite of the fact they made plead ignorance and say this is the first they've heard of it.

Several years ago I had an FXR3 that I bought pre-owned.  It was two years past warranty and the inner primary had a crack around the shifter shaft causing an oil leak.  Dealer said no way would H-D cover it but I made a phone call and they agreed to cover it if I paid a $100 deductible.  Don't know but I suspect this was a known problem on this model which is why they honored the repair so favorably.  Might work for you.  Hope it does.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »

H-D has been known to make 'goodwill' repairs / discounts even if out of warranty.  I would certainly contact them and plead my case as this is a known weak point in the 110 motors expecially - in spite of the fact they made plead ignorance and say this is the first they've heard of it.

Several years ago I had an FXR3 that I bought pre-owned.  It was two years past warranty and the inner primary had a crack around the shifter shaft causing an oil leak.  Dealer said no way would H-D cover it but I made a phone call and they agreed to cover it if I paid a $100 deductible.  Don't know but I suspect this was a known problem on this model which is why they honored the repair so favorably.  Might work for you.  Hope it does.   :2vrolijk_21:

Have to wonder, however, as the POS 110s get farther beyond the current equipment just how much longer HD will consider "goodwill."  They'll be wanting to (positively or negatively) add incentive toward new bikes and new engines so old equipment owners will get to pound sand.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »

Have to wonder, however, as the POS 110s get farther beyond the current equipment just how much longer HD will consider "goodwill."  They'll be wanting to (positively or negatively) add incentive toward new bikes and new engines so old equipment owners will get to pound sand.

True but with several '17 models still having 110s I would hope the moco would step up and do the honorable thing for the OP.  Never know but I have sometimes been pleasantly surprised.

Getting off subject a bit but I sure hope the new M8 fares better than the 110s.  Main thing I'm suspicious of here is the twin non-adjustable rockers actuated by a single pushrod.  Time will tell I am sure.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

It would most definitely be worth a phone call directly to H-D corporate (I'd also talk to the dealer if they are the ones you bought the bike from).  While they may no longer have a legal responsibility, IMHO they have a moral responsibility to step up and help customers on this widely known problem with lifter failures in 110 engines.  If they refuse to entertain the idea of providing any assistance, you can also consult the local authorities about filing a claim in small claims court.  A full blown lawsuit would probably be a waste of time and money, but small claims courts can be a faster and easier route to receiving some justice.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.