Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Strike Over ?  (Read 3416 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Strike Over ?
« on: February 16, 2007, 06:45:53 PM »

York, Pa., February 16, 2007 – Harley-Davidson reported today that it has reached a tentative labor agreement with representatives of International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) Local 175 in York. The agreement is subject to membership ratification and a vote is expected to occur the week of Feb. 19. If approved, the agreement would end a strike by Harley-Davidson’s 2,800 unionized employees in York that began February 2.

:bananarock:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Strike Over ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »

Just saw this too! Good luck Tony! You should be back in business! ;) Hoist!

"Harley-Davidson says tentative pact reached to end York factory strike
The Associated PressPublished: February 16, 2007

YORK, Pennsylvania: Harley-Davidson Inc. said Friday it reached a tentative labor agreement with union workers at its largest manufacturing plant in York, a breakthrough in the two-week-old strike by nearly 2,800 employees.

The company issued a two-paragraph statement saying a vote by the union rank-and-file was expected next week. It did not disclose terms of the deal or say when factory production might resume.

The nearly 2,800 workers have been on strike since Feb. 2. The union membership had voted to reject a company contract proposal that provided 4 percent annual raises but reduced pay for new hires and lowered health-insurance and pension benefits."

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »

Just saw this too! Good luck Tony! You should be back in business! ;) Hoist!

"Harley-Davidson says tentative pact reached to end York factory strike
The Associated PressPublished: February 16, 2007

YORK, Pennsylvania: Harley-Davidson Inc. said Friday it reached a tentative labor agreement with union workers at its largest manufacturing plant in York, a breakthrough in the two-week-old strike by nearly 2,800 employees.

The company issued a two-paragraph statement saying a vote by the union rank-and-file was expected next week. It did not disclose terms of the deal or say when factory production might resume.

The nearly 2,800 workers have been on strike since Feb. 2. The union membership had voted to reject a company contract proposal that provided 4 percent annual raises but reduced pay for new hires and lowered health-insurance and pension benefits."

Thanks, Howie.  I spoke with the dealer today who called the MoCo.  He was told that there was a good possibility that the March deliveries would make it very close to "on schedule" - this sounds much like what Scott (KHD) had said earlier.  He was also told that NO CVO orders (or production had been cancelled - makes me think the rumblings about several thousand '07 bikes not being delivered may be true. They didn't get anything concrete with respect to the strike, but I found the following in the York Daily Record just a few minutes ago.

Tentative agreement reached between Harley, union
'They didn't get everything. We didn't get everything,' a union official said.
By ANDRÉA MARIA CECIL
Daily Record/Sunday News
Article Launched: 02/16/2007 01:00:03 PM EST
Feb 16, 2007 — It's done -- as far as the tentative agreement goes.
Just after 6:30 p.m., local union official Tom Boger said a tentative agreement had been reached.

"They didn't get everything. We didn't get everything," Boger said.

Tomorrow at noon, workers will be winding down picketing at the plant, Boger said.

Thursday, union officials plan to meet with union members to potentially ratify the tentative agreement.

The doors will open at 7:30 a.m. at the Toyota Arena, Boger said.

Full-fledged production at the local Harley plant could begin Feb. 26.
 :orange: Soooooo,
I'm cautiously optimistic at this point, based on the news the dealer passed along and on the strike itself. 
I know there are other folks out there waiting as well - maybe the delay will be nothing more than a "momentary" hiccup.
I'm still hanging in there!
Tony

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:27:51 PM »

Just in time, spring is just around the corner. Timing is everything. :drink:
WOODY

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:02 PM »

Talk about an underwhelming drama.....

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:38:18 PM »

Thanks, Howie.  I spoke with the dealer today who called the MoCo.  He was told that there was a good possibility that the March deliveries would make it very close to "on schedule" - this sounds much like what Scott (KHD) had said earlier.  He was also told that NO CVO orders (or production had been cancelled - makes me think the rumblings about several thousand '07 bikes not being delivered may be true. They didn't get anything concrete with respect to the strike, but I found the following in the York Daily Record just a few minutes ago.

By ANDRÉA MARIA CECIL
Daily Record/Sunday News
Just after 6:30 p.m., local union official Tom Boger said a tentative agreement had been reached.

Tomorrow at noon, workers will be winding down picketing at the plant, Boger said.

Thursday, union officials plan to meet with union members to potentially ratify the tentative agreement.

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point, based on the news the dealer passed along and on the strike itself. 
I know there are other folks out there waiting as well - maybe the delay will be nothing more than a "momentary" hiccup.
Tony

Tony,
Sounds like you still may get your Jester in March.  That would be great. :)  Need to see another B&O on the road.  I haven't seen any besides mine out there on the VA roads.  Hope it makes the deadline.  Two weeks shouldn't put them that far behind on the CVOs, because what I heard on a special the other night, each team of two puts only two CVOs together a day...so you could be looking good. Let's hope so. ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:30:55 AM »

Tony,
Sounds like you still may get your Jester in March.  That would be great. :)  Need to see another B&O on the road.  I haven't seen any besides mine out there on the VA roads.  Hope it makes the deadline.  Two weeks shouldn't put them that far behind on the CVOs, because what I heard on a special the other night, each team of two puts only two CVOs together a day...so you could be looking good. Let's hope so. ;)
Red
Thanks Red.
Now if Howie could just get some decent weather so he could get those SPOs on, get some dyno and ride time, I'd know "EXACTLY" what to do with the Jester... ;) ;)
Be safe,
Tony

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 10:37:26 AM »

Talk about an underwhelming drama.....

Typical, they couldn't have delivered bikes for a week of weather so the strike had little impact other than on the members and other plant workers.

If you build motorcycles when would you want the strike to occur, duh, lets strike in the dead of winter.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »

Typical, they couldn't have delivered bikes for a week of weather so the strike had little impact other than on the members and other plant workers.

If you build motorcycles when would you want the strike to occur, duh, lets strike in the dead of winter.

In that amount of time, at that time of year, with an inventory backlog already on dealer floors you know they didn't cause any real pain to the company either.  They weren't even getting any significant bad press.  So you know HD didn't cave to any significant demands.  Their heart couldn't have been in too strongly. 

People saw cold weather, end of month bills coming and took the first face saving carrot dangled before them.  The comrade workers that also got temporarily laid off at other venues got to be loving the Yorkers right now for their stalwart effort.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »

In that amount of time, at that time of year, with an inventory backlog already on dealer floors you know they didn't cause any real pain to the company either.  They weren't even getting any significant bad press.  So you know HD didn't cave to any significant demands.  Their heart couldn't have been in too strongly. 

People saw cold weather, end of month bills coming and took the first face saving carrot dangled before them.  The comrade workers that also got temporarily laid off at other venues got to be loving the Yorkers right now for their stalwart effort.

I don't think the workers got much public support either. Let's face it, with everyone else contributing to healthcare these days, they didn't get my sympathy. Also, with York, Pa being a union town, the MoCo could have gone the way of Cat and York Air Conditioning, and moved the plant somewhere else and made it a non-union shop! They were smart to settle, but not smart enough not to have struck in the first place! JMO. ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 11:03:39 AM »

I don't think the workers got much public support either. Let's face it, with everyone else contributing to healthcare these days, they didn't get my sympathy. Also, with York, Pa being a union town, the MoCo could have gone the way of Cat and York Air Conditioning, and moved the plant somewhere else and made it a non-union shop! They were smart to settle, but not smart enough not to have struck in the first place! JMO. ;) Hoist! 8)

They were like Napoleon in 1812.  All tactic and no strategy.  He froze his ass off too.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »

I love when a well planned plan comes together

jeffj

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 09:38:05 AM »

So what do they do now, go back to over producing bikes?

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 09:49:48 AM »

By ANDRÉA MARIA CECIL
Daily Record/Sunday News

Tony

Okay,  Now the race is on!!  If this thing does settle, who will get their Jester first??  TC or CBM?  Mine was originally due in mid March at Four Rivers HD.  I guess I'll need Bubba to chime in when the strike is officially over and give me the revised delivery date.  I would assume it would now be early April.  May still get it in time to break it in before the  Big Bend ride in late April.

Guess I better get the Heritage ready to sell :o
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 10:00:15 AM »

Okay,  Now the race is on!!  If this thing does settle, who will get their Jester first??  TC or CBM?  Mine was originally due in mid March at Four Rivers HD.  I guess I'll need Bubba to chime in when the strike is officially over and give me the revised delivery date.  I would assume it would now be early April.  May still get it in time to break it in before the  Big Bend ride in late April.

Guess I better get the Heritage ready to sell :o
I think it would be great it both you and TC get your B&O's about the same time...then we could have a double posting of two very happy CVO'ers.  That would be too cool.  ;D
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.