Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXDWG3 Power Upgrades  (Read 1530 times)

J.D.

FXDWG3 Power Upgrades
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »

What have you guys done to your CVO Dyna FXDWG2/FXDWG3?

I was turned on to a package that I ultimately installed.  SE-204 cams (with "hybrid" SE camplate), 5* SE ignition kit, SEII mufflers, DynoJet Thunderslide kit (48/195 jets), and K&N air cleaner assembly.  I did not dyno the bike before or after but found a dyno chart from a guy with this exact setup vs. "stage I" upgrades.

I'd highly recommend this setup as the bike runs and sounds better now than stock.  Still starts easy hot or cold and the valvetrain is still pretty quiet.  Sure I lost a bit of fuel economy but the bike runs cooler and has way more power throughout the powerband without sacrificing reliability.  On this lightweight bike it is more power than I need.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 08:29:37 PM by 2002FXDWG3 »

J.D.

Re: FXDWG3 Power Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »

And here is what the MoCo says this engine does in stock form.

koko

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 05:49:08 PM »

You probably lost your mileage due to the thunderslide.
I did with mine & returned it back to stock configuration, spring & glued up the hole. Regained my mileage!

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:16:08 PM »

I disagree.  I've done too many DynoJet Thunderslide kit installs and have had a number of them dyno'd with the a:f sniffer.  As long as your a:f ratio is dialed in, it doesn't really matter what the slide material is.  The Thunderslide kit, however, does improve throttle response noticeably.  The slight fuel economy loss is directly correlated to the power gain of the new cams.  Nothing is "free".

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »

I disagree.  I've done too many DynoJet Thunderslide kit installs and have had a number of them dyno'd with the a:f sniffer.  As long as your a:f ratio is dialed in, it doesn't really matter what the slide material is.  The Thunderslide kit, however, does improve throttle response noticeably.  The slight fuel economy loss is directly correlated to the power gain of the new cams.  Nothing is "free".
That's odd EVERY bike I have installed cams in and tuned gets better than stock MPG.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:33 PM »

That might very well be the case on fuel injected bikes.  On a carbureted bike, installing larger cams, higher flow intake and exhaust, and increasing the carburetor jet sizes results in slightly lower fuel economy EVERY time.  With or without a Thunderslide.  It is well known that carbureted Twin Cam bikes came out of the factory running very lean before ultimately being discontinued.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 06:41:37 AM »

The '01 went from 44 mpg stock to around 40 mpg with a "loaded" 103
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »

Here is a very similar setup ("Stage II" image from an older SE catalog) to what I am running.  The only differences I see is I'm running the modified CV carb vs. flatslide, and the SE-204 vs. SE-203 cams.  Similar numbers.  Looks like about 25% gains.

I can say I've run the 203s and they work great for touring or 2-up riding, but for this bike the 204s work better for me.

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »

Here's the stock vs. 1550 Stage I comparison.  Seems the larger bore is worth only a few more HP.  I looked at this (and also higher compression pistons) but decided against it as it is a lot of extra parts and labor, whereas due to the cam tensioner issue the cams pretty much had to come out regardless, and pretty much everyone changes the air filter and mufflers immediately.  With the camplate kit the improved oil pump is a nice bonus.  This bike doesn't burn any oil or blow any out through the breathers so better not to mess with the cylinders.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:12:06 PM by 2002FXDWG3 »

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 20 queries.