Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: MOCO'S QUALITY WORK  (Read 6317 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Re: MOCO'S QUALITY WORK
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 09:58:45 PM »

Terry,
I thought that was the CVO crew's version of  "roll your own" :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Can't wait to finally get my B&O and "strip her down".  Wonder how much "bailing wire and bubble gum" (that's for all us Southern folk  ;D) I'll find >:(.
Tony

Ya know... this isn't funny anymore... >:( >:( >:(

golaith69

• 06 FLHTCUSE - BLACK CANDY CRIMSON
  • Full CVO Member
  • PLEASE STAND UP WHEN YOU ARE TALKING 2 ME
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 10:03:01 PM »

I'll bet the CVO assemblers, who "hand build" every one of our bikes, make a LOT more than $22 bucks an hour too.

That's the new restrictor plate on the 110's, didn't everybody know that?   ;)

hello;  harley's plants  in  MILWAUKEE , YORK , KANSAS CITY  start  at a  min.  of $26.00hr  , upwards  from  there depending on  there skill level ..  thanks
up grades - true duals , vance & hines slash cuts , power commander , KN super sucker -w/ chrome base , smart siren II w/ pager ,chrome inner primary ,engine lites ,L.E.D tail lites ,chrome windshield molding ,oil temp guage into fairing, speaker trim rings ,radio trim piece , etc.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 10:07:46 PM »

Ya know... this isn't funny anymore... >:( >:( >:(

Ultra, man, it never was.  But when you've witnessed or suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous support and quality, and both corporate and local indifference, to the truly suprising extent that has this group of people what else are you going to do.  Takes all the fun out of it to stay pissed off all the time.  So when something, or some mistake, is as incredibly stupid as this is, but still not has not yet caused real harm; you might as well just laugh at them.  HD is sometimes good to have around.  But they've proved (to you and others) to too often be of no particular benefit whatsoever.  So might as well enjoy them when you can.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »

Ultra, man, it never was.  But when you've witnessed or suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous support and quality, and both corporate and local indifference, to the truly suprising extent that has this group of people what else are you going to do.  Takes all the fun out of it to stay pissed off all the time.  So when something, or some mistake, is as incredibly stupid as this is, but still not has not yet caused real harm; you might as well just laugh at them.  HD is sometimes good to have around.  But they've proved (to you and others) to too often be of no particular benefit whatsoever.  So might as well enjoy them when you can.

Twolanerider, you are right I just can't believe the dumb azz just slammed it together like that.  :oops:

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »

So where does the responsibility lie for this gross manufacturing error? Would anyone on the CVO assembly floor in York of had reason to open up the air box? Don't they get the fully assembled engine/transmission from the Capital Drive Powertrain Factory in Milwaukee delivered on a pallet? Obviously, some "melon head" either intentionally messed up the air box/gasket/filter or, or, or - well I can't think of any other excuse. Yeah, you'd hope your dealer would have caught it during delivery inspection but if it ran ok, they probably never would have opened it up. They should have heard it gasping for air!!!
 :nixweiss:
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

golaith69

• 06 FLHTCUSE - BLACK CANDY CRIMSON
  • Full CVO Member
  • PLEASE STAND UP WHEN YOU ARE TALKING 2 ME
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 01:21:30 AM »

So where does the responsibility lie for this gross manufacturing error? Would anyone on the CVO assembly floor in York of had reason to open up the air box? Don't they get the fully assembled engine/transmission from the Capital Drive Powertrain Factory in Milwaukee delivered on a pallet? Obviously, some "melon head" either intentionally messed up the air box/gasket/filter or, or, or - well I can't think of any other excuse. Yeah, you'd hope your dealer would have caught it during delivery inspection but if it ran ok, they probably never would have opened it up. They should have heard it gasping for air!!!
 :nixweiss:

hello; 1st  ;  the  capital drive plant  is the  sporty line
          2nd ; it is  the  menominee falls , wi.  plant  that  does  the big twin's  for  the  FL'S  AND THE  FX'S 
          3rd ; yes  the  motors  come  completed  including  the trans  from  the  menominee  falls  plant ,  so  YORK , PA   would  have  nothing  to  do  with  the  offset  gasket ...  thanks
up grades - true duals , vance & hines slash cuts , power commander , KN super sucker -w/ chrome base , smart siren II w/ pager ,chrome inner primary ,engine lites ,L.E.D tail lites ,chrome windshield molding ,oil temp guage into fairing, speaker trim rings ,radio trim piece , etc.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 01:59:28 AM »

I do think YORK has something to do with it! They have to apply the Throttle cables to the throttle body. So the air cleaner would need to be removed to apply throttle cables. I think the motors are shipped with a bracket mounted to throttle body to keep it aligned during shipping.
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 03:04:38 AM »

:'(  This is such a sad story, and Rooster I am so sorry it had to happen to you.  What can possibly be coming out of the factory if this is missed - first by the one who did it wrong, and all the Quality Controls steps that follow.  But to do it wrong in the first place and go on to the next project knowing full well that this is not going to perform the right way. I am so glad you did not wait 1000 miles to discover it. You know, when I got my bike I was so excited I actaully waited a little over 1200 miles before it got it's first service.  It seems that everyone has to take their new bikes and go over them with a fine tooth comb.  Sorry again to hear this. 

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 08:20:34 AM »

I guess there should be NO surprises any more!!!!  With the problems I had with my '06SEUC, I plan to strip down my '07 SEUC before the spring riding season hits to verify that it is put together correctly.  These quality issues should not be happening on a custom built bike.  I toured the CVO Assembly Plant in York last year and can almost see why this happens.  If you get the wrong two guys building your bike, your done!!!!!  Attitudes at the plant obviously cannot be too good witht the strike and tenuos relationship with management.  Profitablity at all time highes and workers being asked to take concessions.

HD give us quality products, we are paying premium prices for these scoots.

napalm
napalm

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »

I guess there should be NO surprises any more!!!!  With the problems I had with my '06SEUC, I plan to strip down my '07 SEUC before the spring riding season hits to verify that it is put together correctly.  These quality issues should not be happening on a custom built bike.  I toured the CVO Assembly Plant in York last year and can almost see why this happens.  If you get the wrong two guys building your bike, your done!!!!!  Attitudes at the plant obviously cannot be too good witht the strike and tenuos relationship with management.  Profitablity at all time highes and workers being asked to take concessions.
HD give us quality products, we are paying premium prices for these scoots.

napalm
I don't think that's the problem...the problem is in American society as a whole today...no one is held accountable for their actions.  This bike can be traced back to everyone that touched it.  Those people should be held accountable.  Given a warning the first time they screw up, the second time get docked pay, and the third time fired.  But that isn't done today...my dad always told me no matter what you do, do it as though you were making it for yourself and you'd be willing to sign your name to it and be proud of the job you did.  That attitude is not there today.  They don't care.  They go in, put their hours in, and go home.  Why is it, the Japanese can put a quality product together?  They hold their people accountable and they reward the good workers and weed out the bad.   It's all about accountability...today's attitude is "what's in it for me?"   :soapbox:  I know this will probably cause some heartburn...but this is just MHO.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 09:05:41 AM »

Or to strike.....

This is scary.  I was thinking that when I get the bike I will need to ask the dealer to tighten all the bolts etc. Seems a deeper investigation of how the bike was assembled will be needed...

And we often wonder.............. "Why am I paying the dealer that PDI (PRE Delivery Inspection) fee again?"

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 09:37:43 AM »

I don't think that's the problem...the problem is in American society as a whole today...no one is held accountable for their actions.  This bike can be traced back to everyone that touched it.  Those people should be held accountable.  Given a warning the first time they screw up, the second time get docked pay, and the third time fired.  But that isn't done today...my dad always told me no matter what you do, do it as though you were making it for yourself and you'd be willing to sign your name to it and be proud of the job you did.  That attitude is not there today.  They don't care.  They go in, put their hours in, and go home.  Why is it, the Japanese can put a quality product together?  They hold their people accountable and they reward the good workers and weed out the bad.   It's all about accountability...today's attitude is "what's in it for me?"   :soapbox:  I know this will probably cause some heartburn...but this is just MHO.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

I can't blame them for not changing the way it is. Afterall, we keep buying them. Until we slam the door shut and go across the street and buy a competitor's product, and in great numbers, why should they change.

In short, the way they do it now works. They build them, and we buy them and bitch. Then we turn right around and buy another one, and bitch some more. That's just the way it works. Harley has never been known for great quality, it's part of the mystique of the brand.

Chief

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 10:42:26 AM »

Red...when I worked in the trades (commercial/industrial HVAC/Energy Management...for over 18 years), I could see the pride in workmanship fading away during that time period.  Everybody makes mistakes, and it's unrealistic to expect perfection all the time, in every application.  But working for a large institution as I have for the past 30 years, I'll have to say that the "I don't give a chit" attitude is much more prevalent today than it was when I started.  I can't tell you how many contractors I've had to go behind and fix their screw-ups...it's easier to just fix it than to fight with them to come back and do it right.  I think Unions CAN be good for their workers, but they can also help perpetuate complacency, poor work ethics, and poor quality control.  Both management AND the Union should hold workers accountable for poor work habits.

One would think that the workers who have the privilege of building HD's best, most expensive product would be the most skilled, best attitude, and be the most prideful in the product they are putting out the door since those workers are completely responsible for every component going on our bikes.  But how much do you want to bet me that the main determining factor in getting one of those jobs is seniority?  Just because someone's been working somewhere for 20 years doesn't mean doodley squat.  Yes, it should be ONE factor in bidding on a particular job, but not the MAIN factor.  In this particular case, even if the engine was built somewhere else and simply installed, at some point in time...when putting the special cover on, throttle cables...some damn time, somebody had the opportunity to see that gasket, did so, and just didn't give a chit because there are no consequences.

I made a joke about it because it's either that or get pissed off...since no harm was really done in this case, might as well just laugh about it.  The other issues people are having with paint, etc are NOT a laughing matter at all.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 11:01:40 AM »

It all comes down to the promises that these corporations make to their shareholders. Returns to the shareholder and financial ratings are their number 1 priority, not the quality of their product! It's important to get product out on time. Their attitude is to get it out the door, on time! If it's cheaper to fix it under w....ty, then it will knowingly go out broken. Maybe the end user won't pick up the problem. Otherwise we'll fix it. Priority is placed on production numbers, not quality. It's not always the workers! Management is quite aware of the quality issues, but their bonuses might be based on quantity, not quality! Many factors go into how a product goes out the door. But a quality, defect-free product is unfortunately not the driving force behind the products we see! It's the new, corporate way these days. Get used to it with everything that's made by large corporations. It's gonna get worse! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 11:04:02 AM »

That really sucks >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 24 queries.