Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: No fuel/voltage gauge, no idiot lights tach or speedo  (Read 7213 times)

ultrarider123

Re: No fuel/voltage gauge, no idiot lights tach or speedo
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »

Update on warranty repair....20 days and counting to replace the instrument cluster....and "cluster" is a word that is also appropriate for how long this is taking to replace... >:(

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »

Update on warranty repair....20 days and counting to replace the instrument cluster....and "cluster" is a word that is also appropriate for how long this is taking to replace... >:(
I would call MoCo customer service and complain, in the auto world (BMW) if we had a situation like this we had the authority at the dealer level to take care of the customer, be it a lease payment or two, accessories or a payment of a determent amount if it was a not leased. Most of these bikes don't cost as much as BMW's but there not far from some models and granted most people do not use motorcycles as there main mode of transportation, but you didn't pay 36k for that beautiful machine to be sitting at the dealer getting dirty and dented waiting for a part.   ;)
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »

Wow.  That is totally unsatisfactory.  The dealer should be all over corporate's azz to get that instrument cluster.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »

Wow.  That is totally unsatisfactory.  The dealer should be all over corporate's azz to get that instrument cluster.

I think they were which is why they actually received a reply from the MoCo.  They bugged them until they received an explanation.  Yes Dave, that is unacceptable for a warranty repair (or any repair for that matter).  Painted parts I can see may take a while but this?  What if I had been in the middle of S. Dakota when this happened?  Yes, I could have limped in using my GPS mph but still, it's the principle of the repair and customer service.

I've never had a MoCo product strand me anywhere but I've had issues on a few over the years that supplied me with interesting stories and memories.  However, this little exercise has me in a quandary as to where my next purchase of two wheels may send me.

Some have suggested that I try to get something free from the dealer (free bike rental, free service, etc) for this issue.  It's not the dealer's fault that the MoCo doesn't respond promptly on parts.  The dealer has offered, by the way.  I thanked them for that but my gut feeling is I don't want to punish the dealer for the poor response from Harley.

Jerry is correct in this isn't rocket science.  I've had plenty of Harley and non-Harley bikes that never had a failure or moisture issue of this type.  They've made it work in the past....what the heck is going on this time? 

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 10:18:15 AM »

Some have suggested that I try to get something free from the dealer (free bike rental, free service, etc) for this issue.  It's not the dealer's fault that the MoCo doesn't respond promptly on parts.  The dealer has offered, by the way.  I thanked them for that but my gut feeling is I don't want to punish the dealer for the poor response from Harley.

Well, 30 days out of service and you hit Lemon Law territory. Then they must purchase the bike from you or replace it. You can hang that on their head and see if that lights a fire under their backside.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »

Rather than rely on what the dealership is telling you, I think it would be a good idea to contact H-D Customer Service yourself.  I'm not trying to say anything about your dealership, but I have known of occasions when having the customer directly contact the manufacturer has resulted in a part or repair being expedited.  That old expression about the squeaking wheel is still true in many places.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »

I wasn't suggesting that the dealer giving you something for free, but rather them contacting there HD Rep to either expedite the part or if that's impossible for some reason, MoCo should offer you a "Goodwill" adjustment of some sort at there expense and not the dealer's and maybe your dealer tried to offer you something, making you think its on there dime, but in reality its the manufacture is paying.

I have been in this line of work all my life first with motorcycles and then with cars, all manufactures have a goodwill fund that the dealer could offer you something for a situation like this, its not your fault or the dealer's fault that the part isn't available, also I would highly recommend calling HD customer service as Jerry has recommended. If they knew how long the part would take to get there, that is one thing, but at this point it sounds like you don't know when it will arrive and it could be 20 more days, all the reason to call now.

Good Luck!     
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

ultrarider123

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »

The idea of contacting HD customer service as suggested by some here and others has been floating around the old noggin over the past couple of days.

I called this morning.  While I did get the "we are experiencing higher than normal call volume" message between musical phrases, I only had to wait about 10 minutes.  Very nice person on the other end, very good discussion on what had transpired up to today to this call and what can be done to address this issue.  It is a part supply issue that also has all Road Glide production on hold...although it is about time for them to stop 2017 and prep for 2018.  The release date of May 12 for not being on back order is still in effect but, according to the rep, they would do their best to make sure I received one as quick as possible...which was going to happen anyway....but did I move my name to the front of the line?  No telling....

My calling, hopefully, gets this on the books as a complaint and, hopefully again, can help to help alleviate this happening to the next person.

26 days and counting....

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »

Say Howard, sorry you're having so much hassle l sincerely do hope it's​ resolved before the the snow fly's.
The only one bit of advice I can offer you on the condensation with the gauges and what may help with the switches once all is resolved. Give them all a shot of ACF 50.
I had condensation on my fuel and voltage gauges l put the ACF 50 around the chrome rims and and the condensation has not reappeared. I also gave all the switches a good shot using the little tube on the spry can to get it in behind the rocker switches.
I don't know how much it will help you after your repairs are done, but it won't do any harm at the same time.
All the best, hope it gets sorted ASAP.

ultrarider123

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »

Thanks Pete. 

Yep, I've had condensation on the inside of gauges before but this time the design allowed for water to enter the housing which caused the gauge package failure.  The MoCo has attempted to fix this and are on their fourth model number/change in that attempt.  As Jerry stated earlier in this thread, it ain't rocket science.  I whole heartily agree with that statement.

Speaking of issues, have you resolved your rectifier issue with a change?

Keep it between the ditches, brother

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »

Haha! I did see the bit on rocket science. Maybe that's part of the problem you're having MoCo looks at it like rocket science ;D
On the note you're not being :jack:  , I got the charging regulator rectifier on order. I've put it all back together Saturday started it up the gauge showed a good charge did a test on the battery connections and was showing a charge of 16v. So the next  day Sunday went with my niece and nephew (Kam on her new Indian scout and Marcuse on his new Breakout) along with Twyla for a day out. We had about a 150 mile run it was a good days ride out. Had no issues with the charging system but I must admit I was constantly looking at the gauge expecting a failure, but it was good.
Good luck I'll be checking on your progress.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »

If it was 16V, you definitely have a regulator problem. The spec is 14.3 - 14.7V.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 06:22:31 PM »

Yes 16 volts is high and that can ruin a battery.

ultrarider123

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 07:01:55 AM »

After the call yesterday, I received an email from the customer service rep stating he was able to get a replacement gauge cluster from the supplier and shipped directly to the dealership, overnight.  It should be there today.

One expects the customer service of a company to actually be customer service.  While that is expected, it's not always delivered as such.  I was very pleased with the discussion and resolution of this issue through Harley customer service.  While I don't like to go that route, it's good to know issue resolution can be had through that avenue.  If the gauge cluster moisture issue has been resolved with this fourth version, that's icing on the cake.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »

That is good to hear customer service actually helped you Howard.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.