Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Its all in the Details  (Read 2305 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Its all in the Details
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:35:27 PM »

Hi Guys and Gals, I have a really good mechanic for my bike. I have had a lot of work done there with no issues. He installed rocker lockers, adjustable pushrods, new lifters and Torrington cam bearings about a week ago. Said the cam case and rocker arm area looked like new.  I have also had some mechanics that did a good job, but when they finished their job they did not do a walk around or double check things. For example once I had rear brakes installed (not at the place I use now) and they did not reattach the wire to the electric saddle bag lock. That is really not a big deal, but it should not have been overlooked. I was wondering if people would like to comment on little things their mechanic did not tie up properly or maybe left greasy fingerprints on their chrome. Not major things just small things that were an annoyance that maybe you noticed when you got your bike home and took care of yourself. Thanks CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

mark

Re: Its all in the Details
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:51:18 PM »

This should generate some interesting posts. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:30:19 PM »

Not going there.  I try not to relive nightmares.  There's a reason (more than that I just like to) that I work on my own  :huepfenlol2: .

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 12:29:19 AM »

Had my bike Dyno tuned @ dealer back in 2010 forgot to reinstall headlamp fuse!   :oops:  Fortunatly AutoZone was still open!!!

BostonBoy

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 05:00:20 AM »

I'm afraid this might turn into a book and not sure where to start, but this should be a good thread. If you are that happy with your mechanic you better keep him for life and hope he doesn't croak before you do. If he is a factory wrench at the dealer he falls under the 1% of them that are actually good. From my own personal experience with HD "techs" I found out that 99% of them SUCK! Excuse me .... I have to go get a tall drink and make more smokes before I tell you my stories. 
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 05:21:16 AM »

Had new exhaust system installled and they reversed the O2 sensors.  After about 10K miles engine started to knock real bad. Checked the spark plugs to find front cylinder all carbon up. Thought it was oil from rings or valves but bike wasn't using any oil.

Was at Ocean City Bike week and was talking to the Dyno Doctor about it and he offered to do a couple of pulls to check the tune and found the rear cylinder to be running very lean.  This lead me to check the O2 sensors.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »

Here's what I get for being lazy and letting the dealer change my fluids.  Almost two years ago, my last, last dealer oil change left me with an oil filter on so tight it took me half a day to remove.  Also, the primary side cover bolts were so tight, two came off after some work with the other three breaking off (heads) where I had to drill out the remains so I could replace the cover.  A normal 30 minute fluid change took almost two days....  >:(

I had to ask the Lord's forgiveness a few times during that experience.... ::)

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 09:23:17 AM »

Every time I go in for service I would say what are they going f --- up this time !! Now I do as much as I can my shelf to avoid all the BS that comes with taking the bike in for service weather its for warranty work or general maintenance.
DND

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »

I'm usually just thankful that it is a minor oversight. In my area it is hard to find a good shop.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »

evidently putting oil back in the primary is an extra step in a three hole oil change that I neglected to ask for. I check everything the service dept. does upon returning home and I honestly found NO oil in my primary cavity. I ride right on by that dealer now.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

Grab a drink and some popcorn,.....

1995 I had Bartels' HD, Marina Del Rey, perform a break in service on my 1995 Ultra. I asked them to remove the front bumper off the front fender as I preferred the clean look on the front end. When I picked the bike up there were two HUGE gouges in the forks. I pointed it out to them and they replaced my front forks and cans with chrome ones.

1998 I had Bartels' HD, Marina Del Rey, replace the rear tire on my '95 Ultra in preparation for Reno Street Vibrations. After the rally we were were coming down the south end of Reno when I lost my rear brake. Coming down the twisty part of the road, the rear pedal wen straight to the floorboard. Upon closer examination we discovered the tech did not move and secure the brake line back into the mounting clip. This allowed the hose to shift and rub on the tire. Eventually it wore through and all the fluid leaked out. All the dealerships were closed, but I found a bike shop in Sacramento that built me a rear brake line out of fittings and hoses the next day. Bartels' reimbursed me the cost of the repair.

2002 I had Bartels' HD, Marina Del Rey, perform a dyno tune on my '01 Ultra. To access the harness the tech had to get under the seat. Instead of removing it, he laid it sideways across the frame on top of the battery. As he tuned it, the bike shook and the seat did too. This allowed the metal tang on the back end of the seat to rub up against the front side of the tour pack gouging it all up. I pointed it out, and they repainted it.

2006 As I was pulling out of my driveway headed for Yellowstone, the belt on my '01 Ultra broke, and I took it to Pacific HD in Lomita for repair. I told them I was hitting the road and wanted all seals and gaskets replaced. Six hours later I picked up the bike and headed out. On the road all the lube in my primary leaked out, and I had to keep refilling it. I did this all through my trip, buying primary lube at every stop. Back in LA they told me I should have brought it back right away. I told them I was in Oregon when I discovered it and making a U-Turn was not possible. They did NOT stand by their repair.

2007 My stator burned out in Arizona and I had Flagstaff HD off I-40 repair it. When I got home to LA I discovered the backside of the front fender was all dinged, gouged and scratched. It appears the slung a chain around the front fender to secure the bike while working on it.

These are the few that come to mind now. I am sure I will have more as I think of it later.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »

All of these were while the different bikes were in for warranty items or repairs/replacement of stuff and they tore up stuff.
1. Lowers on 15 had mounts stripped from factory, tech bent fins on rt radiator so bad they leaked. I found it while washing greasy finger prints and removed radiator grill.
2. Rear master cylinder leaking, tech broke mounting bracket off frame. Required a new frame.
3. Oil filter so tight from "free oil change on new bike" I couldn't get it off. They broke filter mounting bracket (did replace with chrome)
4. Battery failed under warranty, Broke tab off seat (Fatboy). Replace seat and stripped frame mounting hole, I made them replace frame vs heli-coil.
5. Layed channel locks across battery posts to frame, shorted battery out. Required new battery & Main fuse.
6. Installed windshield, stripped ALL holes. Replaced with new parts.
7. Dropped wrench on fuel door, knocked emblem off. Required new door asm
8. Got bike back after frame replacement. Figured out a couple miles down road I had no rear brakes. Tech very aggressively stated he had bleed them twice. There was NO line from master cylinder to rear caliper.
9.Scratched (tore) leather bag on RKC thru to plastic inner liner, wanted to put some leather "cream" on the tear and it would look like normal leather that had aged. Very difficult but I got a new bag, then because they had been difficult required a second one so they would match. that one took a call from an attorney buddy.
10. Scratched rear fender putting backrest on. Didn't mention it because it was covered by seat. That didn't fly.
11. Lost tourpak off my SEEG. Said it would take 6 - 8 weeks to get one, I removed one from new bike without asking and rode away. I was never questioned about it.
12. Replaced rear tire on RKC. Tire just would not hold air, they had pinched tube, tried to blame it on tube being used, but had charged me for new one. Didn't want to fix until I paid for 1st install. Major argument on that one that included dealer owner, and attorney (he is a buddy).
This is just what I can remember. There have been others. ALL were done by Certified Techs.

mark

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 10:11:58 PM »

All of these were while the different bikes were in for warranty items or repairs/replacement of stuff and they tore up stuff.
1. Lowers on 15 had mounts stripped from factory, tech bent fins on rt radiator so bad they leaked. I found it while washing greasy finger prints and removed radiator grill.
2. Rear master cylinder leaking, tech broke mounting bracket off frame. Required a new frame.
3. Oil filter so tight from "free oil change on new bike" I couldn't get it off. They broke filter mounting bracket (did replace with chrome)
4. Battery failed under warranty, Broke tab off seat (Fatboy). Replace seat and stripped frame mounting hole, I made them replace frame vs heli-coil.
5. Layed channel locks across battery posts to frame, shorted battery out. Required new battery & Main fuse.
6. Installed windshield, stripped ALL holes. Replaced with new parts.
7. Dropped wrench on fuel door, knocked emblem off. Required new door asm
8. Got bike back after frame replacement. Figured out a couple miles down road I had no rear brakes. Tech very aggressively stated he had bleed them twice. There was NO line from master cylinder to rear caliper.
9.Scratched (tore) leather bag on RKC thru to plastic inner liner, wanted to put some leather "cream" on the tear and it would look like normal leather that had aged. Very difficult but I got a new bag, then because they had been difficult required a second one so they would match. that one took a call from an attorney buddy.
10. Scratched rear fender putting backrest on. Didn't mention it because it was covered by seat. That didn't fly.
11. Lost tourpak off my SEEG. Said it would take 6 - 8 weeks to get one, I removed one from new bike without asking and rode away. I was never questioned about it.
12. Replaced rear tire on RKC. Tire just would not hold air, they had pinched tube, tried to blame it on tube being used, but had charged me for new one. Didn't want to fix until I paid for 1st install. Major argument on that one that included dealer owner, and attorney (he is a buddy).
This is just what I can remember. There have been others. ALL were done by Certified Techs.
I like #11.  Rock on. 

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »

Yes it is all in the details, that's the reason I'm a DIY'er  :drink: I use to have my dealership do all my wrenching, till the incident. I then gave my work to an indy with not any better long term results. Use to be five scoots in the barn now I'm down to one, moco has lost my business there too, it took some doing on that and I didn't go down easily but I choose to spend my monies where it is appreciated.

TN

One more thing to add, no-one is perfect, we all make mistakes. I’s how you handle the situation afterwards in the details. Exposure fees are factored in the shop rates for a reason.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:40:41 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »

Santa Clara Cycle, May 2016.

I went in for an oil change and rear tire. They "discovered" that the threads my drain pan were stripped, and blamed "the last shop" that worked on it. They "fixed" it by using teflon tape on it.

I replaced the pan when I had the engine rebuild by Jim at Metal Dragon. Truth be told, Jim has been the best for my bike, and my mental health.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.