Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tour Pack Rack Led current draw.  (Read 1536 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Tour Pack Rack Led current draw.
« on: May 14, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »

I bought 68250-08A   68271-08A both sets of numbers are on the Pdf for the leds module that fastens to the rack. It has mounting instructions but nothing on Wiring.  It has three wires black, red and Blue. I assume black is ground. My bike is an older 98 EVO Road King.  I really hate to miss wire and burn up something. My guess blue is running led and red brake led. Can the red and blue be tied together for a really bright extra brake light or wire it to my Custom Dynamics Triple Play Run-Brake-Turn module?  Thanks

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
Re: Tour Pack Rack Led current draw.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »

Pic of Rack and Led lights

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »

I bought 68250-08A   68271-08A both sets of numbers are on the Pdf for the leds module that fastens to the rack. It has mounting instructions but nothing on Wiring.  It has three wires black, red and Blue. I assume black is ground. My bike is an older 98 EVO Road King.  I really hate to miss wire and burn up something. My guess blue is running led and red brake led. Can the red and blue be tied together for a really bright extra brake light or wire it to my Custom Dynamics Triple Play Run-Brake-Turn module?  Thanks

Black=ground
Red=brake
blue=running/tail lights

Harley has used those colors from umpteen years.

The connectors that came in the kit with the 2008 rack and light won't match up to your 1998.  That's ok.  Just find the tail light, brake light and ground wires on your 98 and bring them to the tour pak for the connection.  Easy place to find them is the connector under the seat behind the battery.

You could splice things together.  Could even do that at both ends.  I hate making fixed connections though when something might need to come apart sometime.  Find a local auto parts store and check their electrical section.  You'll probably find some sort of pre-made wire connector pair you could use.  If nothing else use a flat Whitaker type four wire trailer connector.  They can be bought cheap in a pair so you'd have "both ends" and could easily splice one end in to the bikes rear harness under the seat while the other end connects to whatever pigtail you make that goes back to the tour pak.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »

Great! Thank You for the info, it will make things easier.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 09:15:16 PM »

I agree with Don I typically use wire taps so I can disassemble the item
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:30:54 PM »

I agree with Don I typically use wire taps so I can disassemble the item

The T-taps are very handy.  One reason I don't use them often though (at least not where more than one is involved).  Everything then becomes gendered the same way.  Don't like making connections I can accidentally put together wrong if I'm in a hurry, in poor light, or just stupid (that last one happens way too often).

Among my wire spares I keep pieces to make up a few different sized Deutsch connectors for when the need arises.  If you need them very much at all that kind of stuff just gets very convenient to have around.  It sucks being "almost done" with something jigging to the radio about 11:00 tonight having a good time then having to loose a torrent of very bad words because some stupid little terminal or plug or other common spare parts is AWOL.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 01:20:42 AM »

Retrofitting is usually a pain in the Butt. I am very carefully studying the schematics for adding extra wiring. Wiring the Tour Pack Side Lights, Air Wing Rack Led and Custom Dynamics BagZ saddlebag led lights. The rear end will be lit up like a Christmas Tree. I plan to but it on plugs for ease of troubleshooting but the Pack will be bolted in without the Quick Disconnect. Settings up a new Tour Pack is expensive. I don't want it to be easily removed even though it will make some things harder that's the price I am willing to put up with. Thanks Guys

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 10:00:06 PM »

Retrofitting is usually a pain in the Butt. I am very carefully studying the schematics for adding extra wiring. Wiring the Tour Pack Side Lights, Air Wing Rack Led and Custom Dynamics BagZ saddlebag led lights. The rear end will be lit up like a Christmas Tree. I plan to but it on plugs for ease of troubleshooting but the Pack will be bolted in without the Quick Disconnect. Settings up a new Tour Pack is expensive. I don't want it to be easily removed even though it will make some things harder that's the price I am willing to put up with. Thanks Guys

I just last week finished putting a new tour pak on my Road King.  Christened it with about 400 miles on a gorgeous day Sunday.  Mine only has a spoiler light though. Oh, and a USB charger mounted inside the pack.  You want one of those too.  Don't forget the USB port inside the tour pak.  It's a great place to toss a phone and let it charge while you're riding all day.  Bluetooth from the phone will still reach your helmet or GPS unit!

Tour paks are cool.  Everyone needs a tour pak.   :drink:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »

Good idea! I never thought about that. Thanks

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 20 queries.