Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Tube in Tubless Tire?  (Read 2816 times)

jude05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Tube in Tubless Tire?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »

Until you have experienced a blow out at 80 plus MPh you don't know dangerous / frightening it is. I have. New tyre every time on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:36:48 PM by jude05 »

J.D.

Re: Tube in Tubless Tire?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

I'd be looking at both a new tire and undershorts.

Was this caused by a tire patch, or something else?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 07:09:07 PM »

What caused the tire failure in the photo? Apparently you know so please share. Had that tire been repaired?

jude05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 05:01:55 AM »

What caused the tire failure in the photo? Apparently you know so please share. Had that tire been repaired?
It happened on a trip to the USA in 2008 on the way to Sturgis, I was on the interstate from Cheyenne to South Dakota, no repair to the tyre but I assure the pressure ran low and the bead just opened up, bike veered hard right and I went off the intestate down an embankment on the grass full loaded with luggage, was riding on the rim and countersteered it to a stop which took about 150 m along a barbed wire fence. I was probably slack by not checking my pressures regularly as I was having a fat time riding and partying along the way.
After that incident I know what happens when you have a blow out. If it happened a day earlier I was in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado a mile high or a single lane road it would have taken me into the path of oncoming traffic. I was very very lucky. When it blows you go where the bike takes you.

J.D.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »

Running low tire pressure at high speed in high ambient temperatures is a recipe for disaster.  Has little to do with a tire patch (assuming said patch is installed properly and does not leak).

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »

It happened on a trip to the USA in 2008 on the way to Sturgis, I was on the interstate from Cheyenne to South Dakota, no repair to the tyre but I assure the pressure ran low and the bead just opened up, bike veered hard right and I went off the intestate down an embankment on the grass full loaded with luggage, was riding on the rim and countersteered it to a stop which took about 150 m along a barbed wire fence. I was probably slack by not checking my pressures regularly as I was having a fat time riding and partying along the way.
After that incident I know what happens when you have a blow out. If it happened a day earlier I was in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado a mile high or a single lane road it would have taken me into the path of oncoming traffic. I was very very lucky. When it blows you go where the bike takes you.

This happens more often than it should with folks going from high country down into the plains. It's not supposed to, but it does. We always check our pressure when we get down to Denver and some guys are low & some guys aren't.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »

Until you have experienced a blow out at 80 plus MPh you don't know dangerous / frightening it is. I have. New tyre every time on a bike.

How old and how many miles on the tire?  From the photo, looks like the tire didn't have much tread.

jude05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »

How old and how many miles on the tire?  From the photo, looks like the tire didn't have much tread.
Photo not great but it had only about 2000 kms on it. It was an Avon tyre.
But 2 weeks of hard riding through very hot deserts of Cali, Nevada, Arizona Utah wouldn't have helped.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 10:52:20 PM »

But 2 weeks of hard riding through very hot deserts of Cali, Nevada, Arizona Utah wouldn't have helped.
That will eat tires in a hurry, especially with baggage and very soft rubber.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »

Thanks to all for the replies.  Thought about a patch plug but couldn't fine anyone local who was comfortable doing it.  As this bike is usually fully dressed and often two up, it became clear that safety is clearly more important than saving a few bucks so a new rear tire is on order.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

jude05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »

Thanks to all for the replies.  Thought about a patch plug but couldn't fine anyone local who was comfortable doing it.  As this bike is usually fully dressed and often two up, it became clear that safety is clearly more important than saving a few bucks so a new rear tire is on order.

Chris
Good choice mate.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.