Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Twin Cooled Coolant Possibilities  (Read 1738 times)

Enigmatic

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Twin Cooled Coolant Possibilities
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:23 AM »

I couldn't find any other threads, so I'll just ask... Has anyone considered changing their twin cooled coolant to something like Evan's or Engine Ice? I'm just curious, because Engine Ice worked great for keeping my sport bike MUCH cooler than the 50/50 antifreeze water mix. I'm not having a heating issue, I just notice with the 117" the fans run more often in traffic and I just like to keep things as cool as possible.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Twin Cooled Coolant Possibilities
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:03:08 AM »

I couldn't find any other threads, so I'll just ask... Has anyone considered changing their twin cooled coolant to something like Evan's or Engine Ice? I'm just curious, because Engine Ice worked great for keeping my sport bike MUCH cooler than the 50/50 antifreeze water mix. I'm not having a heating issue, I just notice with the 117" the fans run more often in traffic and I just like to keep things as cool as possible.

I don't know about alternative coolants, but i have to say my 2017 CVO limited with the 117 stage 4 kit runs REALLY hot. All factory parts plus catless header and a PV tune by FM.  Bike runs great for the first hr but then it slowly gets heat soaked and loses a lot of
Power. Has anyone added an oil cooler to compliment to twin cooling? Results?

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »

I have a 2015 SESG just put in the 117 kit with a few changes. Yes my radiator fans come on more often in traffic. Don't know why. I've had my bike hooked up to laptop and it doesn't run hot. About the coolant. I think the manual says no 50/50 mixed coolant. I think it specifically says a non-mixed coolant. I just flushed/replaced my coolant using the "orange" non mixture coolant with the same specs as "Harley" brand.

I would check the specs of the two coolants you mentioned to see how they compare with Harley coolant. The system only holds 1.1 quart and it's a simple and quick flush job as well.

I do not use an oil cooler.  But I do use cooling fans. Installed wards cooling fans that cool to he heads. But I'm not sure if he is still in business. There are several other brands out there that get good reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »

Larger engine creating more power equals more heat, more heat with small coolant volume and small radiators means fans will run more often.  I don't see a problem.  If the fans ran continuously and the coolant temperature never stabilized, then I would look for a problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »

I think the Evans replacement coolant is pretty good product. But I would contact them regarding using it in the bike to verify whether is is acceptable or not. Sure they know more than anyone on this site.

ultraswede

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »

As long as you are running a thermostat and its not overheating, no coolant replacement will change anything. (for the better)

If you want to run the motor whitout a thermostat, which might not be such a bad idea*, than a more efficient coolant may remove more energy from the cylinder head.

*The engine will still reach operating temperature, as opposed to a 100% water cooled engine without a thermostat.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »

There is a vast amount of misinformation floating around concerning coolants, kind of like all the BS claims for so many other products on the market.  Here are some actual facts.

-Plain water has better heat transfer properties than either ethylene glycol or propylene glycol.
-Ethylene glycol has a lower viscosity and higher thermal transfer than propylene glycol.
-Ethylene glycol has better freeze protection than propylene glycol.
-Propylene glycol is less toxic than ethylene glycol, thus it's use in "eco-friendly" coolants.

Advertisers of products like Engine Ice heavily imply their propylene glycol product makes your engine run cooler.  However, if you look at the scientific data you see that the PG actually has a lower heat transfer coefficient than either EG or water.  If you assume a lower water temp reading means your engine itself is running cooler, think again.

The real advantage of PG is the safety and environmental factors, not actual performance in a cooling system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »

From someone who split raw natural feed and made propylene and ethylene glycol for 12 years and a day. EVERYTHING that GRC said is true.

jmanderson6

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra CVO
    • CVO2: 2014 Softail Deluxe NON-CVO
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 08:49:54 PM »

i second GRC from someone who runs ice rinks with ethylene glycol running through aluminum panels.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 20 queries.