Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power locks quit working on saddle bags  (Read 3204 times)

Vstrut

• TX

• CVO1: FLHTKSE - 2020 Ultra Limited
Power locks quit working on saddle bags
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »

A few weeks ago my left saddlebag lock quit working on my 2014 Ultra Limited. The trunk and right saddlebag continued to work. Then this weekend, my right saddlebag lock stopped working. The Trunk continues to work. Both the fob and dash button trigger the locks just fine. They just won't lock. Any idea what component needs to be replaced. I'm thinking the mechanism that triggers the lock on on each saddlebag, but I don't know what I'm looking at. Any suggestions.  Thanks.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Power locks quit working on saddle bags
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »

Check bags are properly closed.
Check connections
Check fuses...

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »

Then check if power is getting to locking mechanism with voltmeter
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »

Also do you hear it trying to lock?  If so then it may simply need adjusting. I had one saddlebag that needed that. If it is not locking at all as mentioned above check voltage etc. I did not check but I would guess that as long as one item is locking that states the signal to lock is working and turning on so they should all be trying to lock. Again I have not checked or verified that just thinking it would work that way.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »

A few weeks ago my left saddlebag lock quit working on my 2014 Ultra Limited. The trunk and right saddlebag continued to work. Then this weekend, my right saddlebag lock stopped working. The Trunk continues to work. Both the fob and dash button trigger the locks just fine. They just won't lock. Any idea what component needs to be replaced. I'm thinking the mechanism that triggers the lock on on each saddlebag, but I don't know what I'm looking at. Any suggestions.  Thanks.

If I read that correctly, you can hear the bag lock actuator cycle when you press the button of the fob or on the dash.  If that's the case, then the problem would appear to not be electrical but perhaps mechanical.  Like others have suggested, first make absolutely certain the lids are completely closed and aligned.  Make sure nothing has come loose where the latches mount to the saddlebag or in the actuator assembly and cable.  Verify alignment of the actual locks by using the key and see if they will easily lock with the key.  If the lock isn't aligned properly, it won't engage even though the electrical actuator tries to move it into position. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »

My '07 (dash activation only) made the noise but didn't lock either. A while later wouldn't even make the noise. JIM, HD_Dude, replaced a (the) realy(s) and all has been working since. Could be a different beast than the '14 altogether though.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 09:14:48 PM »

Trapperdog do you remember which Relay you replaced? Mine quit all together. No sound from FOB or dash lock. Looks like bad Locking Module.  2013 Ultra CVO..

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 10:02:03 AM »

What did you find was the problem?

Vstrut

• TX

• CVO1: FLHTKSE - 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »

The wiring harness clip on the saddle bag had fraid from removing it when I washed the bike. I have had to replace both saddle bag wiring harnesses multiple times for the same problem. There is also a reciever under the fairing that I've had to replace due to a short in the reciever. I'd start with the wiring harness first.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »

I will look at mine closer but I just unplug the saddlebags and don't really have to handle the wiring harness at all. When I lost my saddlebag years ago (the recall) the wiring harness pulled out some but no problems at all. I didn't have to replace it then either. I have not had any harness issues.     

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 11:45:18 PM »

After troubleshooting with the maint. book and a voltmeter I come to the conclusion it was the lock module under the fairing. That was a nifty $275. Replaced it and still nothing. I have had problems with the ign lock not locking before so on a hunch I disconnected the plug under the fairing (green wire) that goes to the ign. lock. Bingo...all 3 bag locks worked with the old lock Module. Wish I would have thought about that before I ordered the new  module. I added that to the troubleshooting section of the book. I removed the ign lock to look at the wire and yet again that damn wire that electronically locks the ign broke again. apparently the broken wire was shorting the system out. That's 2 now. I had to order the whole lock and wire last winter...$575! Tried to fix it myself but no luck. Not going to order another one. That was a pain. My dealership, as most, has never had to order one so it took 2 times to get that right. So for now as long as the bags lock with the fob and dash I am good. I will lock the ign. manually. The more electronic crap on these bikes means more to that can break. Guess I will keep the new Module just in case....

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.