Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcycle Quick Lube  (Read 2002 times)

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Motorcycle Quick Lube
« on: July 30, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »

After spending the better part of a day doing the 50k service on my bike, I started thinking about  the fact that I have never seen a quick lube type place that specializes in motorcycles.  So what do you guys think?  Are we too anal to get our bikes serviced at a place like this or is this something that you think would work?  I realize that it would have to be located in a high motorcycle density area and that Winters would be dead but I am looking for a post retirement gig (less than 5 years away).  Thoughts?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Motorcycle Quick Lube
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »

You really want a bike serviced, when that service should include at least eyeballing those things that can be seen, checking tightness of critical fasteners and the other common things we should be doing that make a 10 minute oil change (when done right) take a half hour, done by a place whose only dubious distinction is that it's "quick?"

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 06:18:14 AM »

I guess I should have explained my idea a little more...it would be quick relative to dropping your bike off at a dealer and waiting 2 days and paying $500.  Not suggesting it could be done in 10 mins but with the right set up maybe an hour and for way less $.  Obviously this type service would target the large portion of riders who don't wrench on their own bikes and those who are traveling.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »

The Harley dealers near me are all express service; ride in, no appointment, out of there in less than hour.  Regular service, state inspection, etc.
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »

The Jiffy Lube/Quick Lube business model relies on cheap and barely trained kids who know nothing about what they do other than remove this plug and drain the oil, stick the plug back in and crossthread it, unscrew the oil filter and remove it, install the new filter and tighten it just enough to not fall off immediately, then top off all the fluids from the various hoses hanging from the ceiling and hopefully put the right stuff in each hole.  Most people I know wouldn't want such an operation anywhere near their bike.  What a lot of them don't know is that many Harley dealerships aren't much better, having their untrained newbies perform the "services" while the techs handle mechanical repairs.  Experienced motorcycle owners are much more likely to use the DIY model, not just to save money but to be confident that everything was done and done correctly.

If you were to do this as something to keep yourself occupied and provide a little extra income in retirement, it might be worthwhile.  If you were thinking of starting a business using the Jiffy Lube business model and hiring from the same labor pool they do, I don't think most motorcycle owners would be interested.  JMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »

The Harley shop here will do an oil service while you wait.  Usually an hour or two, needs to be scheduled ahead with notice that rider is planning to wait on service.  Drawback: it is $$$.

There are a few mechanics in town from home based shade tree guys to other MC shops that will do an oil change while you wait.  Nothing "speedy" about it if compared to a typical car oil change.  Usually they charge less than $100.

I do my own oil changes usually. Sometimes will do one for a friend, especially if beer/cigars are involved after.  Know others that do this as well, good way to kill an afternoon sometimes.

Not a bad idea you have, do not know of anything out there that just offers an oil change/fluid change type service for bikes.  Considering how many hundreds of models & types of bikes are out there and oil/fluid requirements and filter combinations, inventory could be an issue.  Know some shade tree guys here who have all the business they can handle, would seem to be a logical way to get into the business.  Much easier if concentrated on 1 brand - Harley.  For dead of winter biz a trailer service could keep it going, or a good time to visit someplace warmer for vacation and close up shop.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »

We have an Indy here that named the business Qwik-Bike. They are a bunch of ex-dealer crew who got together to offer an alternative. They do mostly light mechanic services - oil change, tires, batteries, tune-ups, etc. - either while you wait or drop-off. I've use them for tires and had good service.

If you're looking at it as a business, just need to make sure you have low overhead, quality equipment, skilled techs...and market demand for Indy services.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:16:28 AM »

They do have quick change places at all the bigger rallies, heck in Sturgis you can go right to the Speedy Lube.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »

Be careful at some of those rally quick oil change places.  I've heard plenty of reports of cheap knock-off oil filters and oil billed at high prices.  Make sure you verify what parts and oil they use up front.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »

Be careful at some of those rally quick oil change places.  I've heard plenty of reports of cheap knock-off oil filters and oil billed at high prices.  Make sure you verify what parts and oil they use up front.

Jerry

The only thing I trust at the big rallies are those nice girls who promis.......     Well, that's for another thread.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »

Jerry

Yeah that. And some HD dealers are no better. I do all my own service and I write my mileage on the new filter (not the sticker, the filter itself) when I change it. A while back, was on a long trip and needed to have it changed so I stopped at a dealer. The same filter was still on when they "finished" and I had to raise hell about it for them to even acknowledge their screw up.

There's a place up in AK, in Tok called Tompsons (sp?) that will rent you space with a lift, even lend you tools, and you can do what you need to do on your bike. Don't remember if they sell oil though. That was a nice place to run into. Wish there was more places like that.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 09:14:35 PM »

The only thing I trust at the big rallies are those nice girls who promis.......     Well, that's for another thread.

Where did you put that thread at? Search function isn't finding it for some reason
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 09:23:13 PM »

Where did you put that thread at? Search function isn't finding it for some reason

Stealth mode?  :huepfenlol2:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 06:19:54 AM »

Had mine in for a oil change/ service once got a call oh! We found this and found that,.Ok best do it. I went to get the bike and got handed a £600.00 bill. :o

Now I'm (with the great help from the guys on this forum) learning and doing all my own service and repairs.

Don't trust someone else to do anything on my bike anymore.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.