Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Kick stand or shim  (Read 8286 times)

hogasm

Kick stand or shim
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »

Now that I have a 21" front and an 18" rear the bike leans considerably more when on the kickstand.

Is there a longer kickstand of a shim that can be added to lessen the lean :nixweiss:

SPIDERMAN

Re: Kick stand or shim
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 06:34:37 PM »

Now that I have a 21" front and an 18" rear the bike leans considerably more when on the kickstand.

Is there a longer kickstand of a shim that can be added to lessen the lean :nixweiss:

Brian,
         I've seen shortened ones, but not longer ones. If there isn't buy just the leg, cut it, weld in a section say 2" long and send it out to have it re-chromed. In the mean time, H-D sell a round rubber disc with ridges in it for keeping the kickstand from sinking into hot pavement or gravel or whatever. But one of those and cut and glue a piece of tire rubber to the bottom.
B B

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:44:38 PM »

B...somewhere on my old Legends install thread, there was a reference to a shim to change the angle of the kickstand to that it would be more upright when put down...I think they were available through JP...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:52:53 PM »

Brian, angles both way shown here:

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=1C5809CC-490D-4AC3-AD4B-960B34796598&search=kickstand%20angle&store=All&page=1

Is it the front tire or the rear (or both) that have enough larger OD to account for the difference?

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:31:59 PM »

Brian, angles both way shown here:

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=1C5809CC-490D-4AC3-AD4B-960B34796598&search=kickstand%20angle&store=All&page=1

Is it the front tire or the rear (or both) that have enough larger OD to account for the difference?

Both

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 12:33:47 PM »

Front view

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »

Not likely to blow over in a stiff breeze leaning over like that. Is it really such a bad thing ?

B B

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »

Not likely to blow over in a stiff breeze leaning over like that. Is it really such a bad thing ?

B B

You know Big B, it gets a little heavy when I put the king tour pack on and it is full. Makes me feel a little nervous about trying to straighten the bike up if I am on a little side incline. My knees are not what they used to be. Doctors have talked about replacements. I feel like 43 years young is too early in life to replace body parts for me.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 04:14:43 PM »

You know Big B, it gets a little heavy when I put the king tour pack on and it is full. Makes me feel a little nervous about trying to straighten the bike up if I am on a little side incline. My knees are not what they used to be. Doctors have talked about replacements. I feel like 43 years young is too early in life to replace body parts for me.

Speaking of knees, it reminds me of a neighbor of mine. He's like 85 years old. He went to the Dr with a sore knee. Doc told him, Well---it's just old age. He tells the doc, I know that's bull$hit! My left knee is the same age as my right knee and it feels just fine.

He does have a point.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 06:55:07 PM »

Thought of you today Brian (14)  I had to return some stuff to SD H-D and they had a bunch of the round disc thingies I mentioned in my earlier post. Like I said, if you bought one of those and just added some height to the bottom of it it would do the trick.

B B

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »

Brian #14-

I have the same issues with my bike. I never had any issues with it tipping over. I've had the king pack on it all loaded up with Lynn on the back of seat while on the kick stand. It's never seemed to want to tip over. I know it sure looks unstable but it's all been good so far. I've finally gotten used to it and it all seems normal to me now.

Just use a little caution when setting it down on the stand on the downside of a slope :nervous:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 09:52:17 PM »

Brian #14-

I have the same issues with my bike. I never had any issues with it tipping over. I've had the king pack on it all loaded up with Lynn on the back of seat while on the kick stand. It's never seemed to want to tip over. I know it sure looks unstable but it's all been good so far. I've finally gotten used to it and it all seems normal to me now.

Just use a little caution when setting it down on the stand on the downside of a slope :nervous:

Hey Grover...the problem for those of us who are vertically challenged is getting it OFF the kickstand when it's loaded and leaned past the CG point.  I've been there and it's embarassing.. :-[  ;D The Legends took care of that problem for me...expensive fix, huh?

TTS Mastertune

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 09:41:50 AM »

Hey Grover...the problem for those of us who are vertically challenged is getting it OFF the kickstand when it's loaded and leaned past the CG point.  I've been there and it's embarassing.. :-[  ;D The Legends took care of that problem for me...expensive fix, huh?

Now that's one expensive high tech jiffy stand shim :huepfenlol2:  :2vrolijk_21:

You definitely have the problem solved Terry ;D

I've been looking into the Platinum air ride & the new FXair system. I'll most likely be pulling the trigger on one next week.

Lynn is like, "What the hell do you need that for!"  :huepfenlol2:
I told her it's only to make things more comfortable for you honey..... :-* ;D :huepfenjump3:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 10:45:51 AM »

Now that's one expensive high tech jiffy stand shim :huepfenlol2:  :2vrolijk_21:

You definitely have the problem solved Terry ;D

I've been looking into the Platinum air ride & the new FXair system. I'll most likely be pulling the trigger on one next week.

Lynn is like, "What the hell do you need that for!"  :huepfenlol2:
I told her it's only to make things more comfortable for you honey..... :-* ;D :huepfenjump3:

That's always a good one to use, Grover ;)  You'll be happy with a nice air ride suspension on the back of your scoot...it really makes for a nice ride and the cool factor doesn't hurt either 8)  You've got that Pumkin lookin' so good, you gotta' wear shades just to look at it. :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 12:32:32 PM »

Hogasm, 43 young heals a lot quicker and better than any day past the one you are living now.  Something to consider.  The older you get the longer it takes for the bone to regenerate and give a strong rebuild.

Just the perspective from 58 looking back.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.