Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam  (Read 48697 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2007, 02:29:26 PM »

Chief-

Don't be afraid to use the supplied double sided tape on the ballasts-I think the inner fairing will break before the ballasts would come loose.  

Jim/Ernie-

It sounds like mine is mounted as you did Ernies.

The stuff they supplied with mine wasn't actually two sided tape (foam tape) but that 3M tape used to adhere automotive emblems to car bodies.  That's stout stuff.  If it holds an emblem on a car going down the road and survives rain, snow, sleet, hail, debris, grime and road salt it should live inside the fairing just fine (though I put a tie wrap around mine just because I could and I'm anal about such things).

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2007, 03:05:03 PM »

Chief-

Don't be afraid to use the supplied double sided tape on the ballasts-I think the inner fairing will break before the ballasts would come loose.  

Jim/Ernie-

It sounds like mine is mounted as you did Ernies.

I did use the supplied tape. That's what I'm mounting the square units, what I'm calling the ignitors, to the top of the CB and XM modules on top of the radio. Aren't the ballasts the round units just before the lights?

Do I have it backwards? Square units = Ignitors and Round cylinders = ballasts. At least that's what I'm calling them.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »

The stuff they supplied with mine wasn't actually two sided tape (foam tape) but that 3M tape used to adhere automotive emblems to car bodies.  That's stout stuff.  If it holds an emblem on a car going down the road and survives rain, snow, sleet, hail, debris, grime and road salt it should live inside the fairing just fine (though I put a tie wrap around mine just because I could and I'm anal about such things).

Didn't you mount the square boxes to the HW satellites?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »

Chief-

The rectangular box that Naitram has pictured with the writing is the ballast and the cylinders coming off the ballasts are the ignitors/excitors.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »

Chief-

The rectangular box that Naitram has pictured with the writing is the ballast and the cylinders coming off the ballasts are the ignitors/excitors.

Looks like I got it backwards once again. Found this on the xtralites site

Power => Ballast => Ignitor => Bulb

Now don't y'all go forgetting that again.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2007, 09:56:54 PM »

Didn't you mount the square boxes to the HW satellites?

Yes, had those HW brackets already there for convenient access.  Speaker component on the front side.  So hung the ballasts on the back side of them.  Used that two sided 3M tape supplied and put a tie wrap around them for good measure (actually two tie wraps).

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2007, 06:17:41 AM »

... but that 3M tape used to adhere automotive emblems to car bodies.  That's stout stuff.  If it holds an emblem on a car going down the road and survives rain, snow, sleet, hail, debris, grime and road salt it should live inside the fairing just fine ...

Don told me about this 3M tape once while installing the air cleaner cover, and it stopped me from using liquid nails.

I had to get help from the Auto Zone folks to find it, but he is right, it is some strong stuff. 

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #217 on: May 11, 2007, 04:06:26 PM »

67864-04

Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

The Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp features advanced reflector optics and separate bulbs for high and low beam functions.

Well that was waaaaay more than I wanted to spend on my headlight but it is all ordered now!
New HD twin bulb halogen set up & then the xtralights HID H9 conversion. From all your comments I know it will be worth it! :nervous:   I never ride much in the dark I suppose mainly because I couldn't see as well as I wanted to. I have tried many different halogen bulbs but all as you know they make very little difference over stock lighting.
Thanks especially to twolane for starting off this unexpected hole in my wallet!  :soapbox: (best part of 800 ozz $)

Cheers
Aussie

I'm starting to get a bit :soapbox: now! I ordered my dual lamp housing (& a couple of other goodies) from Chicago HD on 23rd April & they still have not shipped yet, they say they are very busy because it is spring! I just think it is poor service especially when they hit you credit card the day you place the order. I will probably will have paid my card before I even see the parts! WTF! I have found that on my last few orders they (Chicago) are getting slower & slower! (no mention of back orders from them either)
I generally recieve orders from the USA in around 5 days. This includes my HID lighting kit which has been sitting there since 28th April.
I may have to give Chicago a miss & buy from M&M they are very fast & very friendly as well. Their prices on HD parts are very close to Chicago also.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #218 on: May 11, 2007, 04:23:12 PM »

I'm starting to get a bit :soapbox: now! I ordered my dual lamp housing (& a couple of other goodies) from Chicago HD on 23rd April & they still have not shipped yet, they say they are very busy because it is spring! I just think it is poor service especially when they hit you credit card the day you place the order. I will probably will have paid my card before I even see the parts! WTF! I have found that on my last few orders they (Chicago) are getting slower & slower! (no mention of back orders from them either)
I generally recieve orders from the USA in around 5 days. This includes my HID lighting kit which has been sitting there since 28th April.
I may have to give Chicago a miss & buy from M&M they are very fast & very friendly as well. Their prices on HD parts are very close to Chicago also.

Cheers
Aussie
Don't feel alone Bro. I placed an order w/them on April 14, and it just shipped yesterday. Took several emails to finally get my stuff shipped to me. They'll send you an email and say that if the stuff has to be ordered it should be ready to ship to you in 7 - 10 days, but that's not holding true. I was told a week ago that all my parts were in and was in line to be shipped. After waiting 6 more days I sent them another email asking how could everything be there and it take almost a week to ship, the next day I got an email stating my order had been shipped. I have some more stuff I want to order and told them that in the email and also told them that this experience hasn't been a promising encounter. I'll wait for my parts to get here and then decide if I'll order from them again. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »

Cheers
Aussie

Try Zanotti.  Have found them to be often cheaper than Chicago HD and (anymore) always quicker.  Also very good about posting backorder or other pertinent information.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2007, 04:36:59 PM »

Don't feel alone Bro. I placed an order w/them on April 14, and it just shipped yesterday. Took several emails to finally get my stuff shipped to me. They'll send you an email and say that if the stuff has to be ordered it should be ready to ship to you in 7 - 10 days, but that's not holding true. I was told a week ago that all my parts were in and was in line to be shipped. After waiting 6 more days I sent them another email asking how could everything be there and it take almost a week to ship, the next day I got an email stating my order had been shipped. I have some more stuff I want to order and told them that in the email and also told them that this experience hasn't been a promising encounter. I'll wait for my parts to get here and then decide if I'll order from them again. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Dood,

Thanks for that, I was thinking it was just international customers that were mucked around. Well I got the email yesterday stating all my parts are in stock & should ship in the next coulpe of days but they do put that word in there "SHOULD"

Cheers
Aussie

PS: these parts guys just dont understand  :confused5: OCD!
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »

The interference I'm experiencing is from the ignitors, not the ballasts. It is also very sensitive to location. Seems that where I had it ty-rap'd was one of the bad spots.

Note: The interference is most notable in the headset and is not related to output volume. The noise is there with zero volume.

My plan is to test each location by assembling the light, putting on the helmet and moving the ignitor around while the bulb is running. When I find a quiet spot, I'll ty-rap it there. I'll also try to not blind myself testing this.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2007, 04:42:12 PM »

Try Zanotti.  Have found them to be often cheaper than Chicago HD and (anymore) always quicker.  Also very good about posting backorder or other pertinent information.

Twolane,

I have looked at Zanotti but they do not really cater for the international customer. They will ship international but I must order by unsecure emails. I just prefer secure online automated orders.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2007, 06:15:32 PM »

Well, the noise is gone, except for 3 or 4 seconds at initial start-up, and when turning on the hi-beam. I actually would up adding about 12 inches of wire to both the high and low beams, between the ignitors and the bulbs. In hind sight, I should have added the wire to the bulbs instead of the ballast / ignitor assemblies. There is just more wire available in the bulb harnesses than there is in the main harnesses. The ignitors are mounted to the outer fairing brackets, one per side. The extra wire will make getting to the bulbs much easier.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »

67864-04

Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

The Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp features advanced reflector optics and separate bulbs for high and low beam functions.

Well that was waaaaay more than I wanted to spend on my headlight but it is all ordered now!
New HD twin bulb halogen set up & then the xtralights HID H9 conversion. From all your comments I know it will be worth it! :nervous:   I never ride much in the dark I suppose mainly because I couldn't see as well as I wanted to. I have tried many different halogen bulbs but all as you know they make very little difference over stock lighting.
Thanks especially to twolane for starting off this unexpected hole in my wallet!  :soapbox: (best part of 800 ozz $)

Cheers
Aussie

Well 2lane I must say thanks again! I finally got my dual lamp housing early this week & fitted it on thursday night & went for a test ride on friday night. I must say i am very impressed, I finally got to enjoy a ride at night. I passed a new SUV on a country road who had its lights on high beam & as I was passing him I flicked mine on to high beam. Well I can only imagine the guy in the flash new SUV must have been pissed when he saw how good my light was compared with his. I am now able to ride at night in pretty much the same manor as I ride during the day, it's great & worth every penny spent. At night i wear yellow glasses & with the blue light it seemed to look fairly white to me, either way no matter what the colour is the vision is exellent. I will have to add this to my favourite mods list. The installation was also too easy & everything fitted nicely inside my nacelle, i used the small mounting brackets that came in the HID kit to mount the ballasts. There was alot more room in there than i expected.

Cheers
Aussie  :biggthumpup:
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 21 queries.