Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draggin Baggers Air Suspension  (Read 5877 times)

cvofatboy

Draggin Baggers Air Suspension
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:15:46 PM »

Did any of you guys try the draggin baggers air suspension or know anything about them? It's cheep $499.00. If i dont go with air suspension what is a good kit to relocate the shocks to make the bike lower? All the kits i see on ebay say they dont work with hard leather bags. I want to get as low as possible. I own a 07 serk.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Draggin Baggers Air Suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:18:27 PM »

If you lower it any more than it is, you'll be scraping all the time. If you want it for the looks when parked. Get a good Air Shock like Legend. I wouldn't permanently lower the SERK3. JMO. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:37:04 AM »

CVOFatboy I'm not sure if Draggin Baggers is still marketing their air ride. Their was much discussion on one of the Harley boards that he was using a 9" shock and this was causing or could cause problems.

My take on it. It appears a Monroe air shock was being used and re-marketed, not uncommon. The problem was with the shock travel. MY bike makes tire to fender contact at 10 1/8". So a 9" shock is not good! A 10 1/2" shock is the preferred unit. Next came the total travel. A Monroe shock has about 6" of travel. A HD swing arm bike has about 3" of usable travel. At this point the axle or shock bolts come into contact with the mufflers. Now if you had the new Hot Rod Bagger exhaust this wouldn't be an issue. One of the complaints I read was that guys were denting their mufflers when they air up. Sure this is plausible but in my experience the ride would be so horrible why would you have it aired up? Next was the valving of the shock and its original application (older Vette).

All that aside I did some further research and decided to improve upon what one man had already tried. I knew I couldn't use a shock shorter than 10 1/2". Vehicle application had to be considered as to not jar my fillings out. With those couple of parameters I found a set that would suit my application. Hey for $70 it was worth trying. After machining the bushings to their correct size and adapting the air lines to my current size I was good to go. My only concern was the over extending of the height. After some experimenting I discovered my compressor wouldn't pump the shocks up fast enough as to where I'd be making a slamming indent in my pipes. My next thought was a limiting strap like I use to run on my lifted trucks. I researched this and found the right length (have yet to order them).

Next was to road test them. Bike Week was only days away so I loaded the bike and my old shocks just in case. After some air pressure adjustments on the fly I found "the" spot where the ride was exactly what I wanted. Coincidentally that was at about 1 1/2" from full collapsed which made it half of my travel, perfect. My buddy had asked what I though of the shocks. I replied it is a 9 1/2 out of 10 as nothing is perfect.

Well after spending a week riding with these shocks with the bike loaded and unloaded I'd give it a 10. The cost makes up for the other half of a point I initially deprived them of. The shocks, can of paint and air lines fittings ran me about $100. I already owned the compressor which saved me about $150. So for $250 I have a bike that rides as good (plush) as my stock bike, has the ability to go slammed as my Legends (original converted shocks) did and at a cost that if it fails within a few years I'm out nothing. :orange:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:53:43 AM »

Draggin Baggers ???? Out of curiosity I called them couple of weeks ago and got answer machine twice and I left message and they never called back??? Email also and again no answer back. After reading what they do I'm glad they never called me back.

Anyhow now my 07 Lighting is slammed to the ground know with Legend and what a great ride at any height compared to the stock air shocks.

Hoist I would not lower your SERK anymore with those spo garbage cans you have ;D Hate to see them scratched buddy ;) All joking aside the legends are worth every penny spent.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:43:11 AM »

Draggin Baggers ???? Out of curiosity I called them couple of weeks ago and got answer machine twice and I left message and they never called back??? Email also and again no answer back. After reading what they do I'm glad they never called me back.

Anyhow now my 07 Lighting is slammed to the ground know with Legend and what a great ride at any height compared to the stock air shocks.

Hoist I would not lower your SERK anymore with those spo garbage cans you have ;D Hate to see them scratched buddy ;) All joking aside the legends are worth every penny spent.

I'm with you there, Sky! I'm actually raising mine back to stock height! I'm putting the standard RK height Traxxion Cartridges in the forks and standard RK height Progressive 440's in the rear. I shouldn't have to worry about scratching those 'garbage cans" any longer! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:05:52 PM »

I'm with you there, Sky! I'm actually raising mine back to stock height! I'm putting the standard RK height Traxxion Cartridges in the forks and standard RK height Progressive 440's in the rear. I shouldn't have to worry about scratching those 'garbage cans" any longer! ;) Hoist! 8)
Howie!
Now that's just wrong!!! ;)
TC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 03:08:43 PM »

Howie!
Now that's just wrong!!! ;)
TC

Hey Tony. I was just using Sky's quote. They can call them what they want. I like 'em! ;) Hoist! 8)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »

Howie,
I'm sure I'll catch more chit for my "fuzzy seat covers" than you will for the SPOs! :huepfenlol2:
Tony

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 03:23:46 PM »

Howie,
I'm sure I'll catch more chit for my "fuzzy seat covers" than you will for the SPOs! :huepfenlol2:
Tony

That's right Tony. Use whatever you want. It's your ass sittin' on it! As long as you like it, that's all that matters! ;) Hoist! 8)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:56:52 PM »

Howie,
Tony

Like I said Tony...just keep that fuzzy seat away from my Corbin...it wouldn't know what to think... ;)  It might get a "Bald Complex" or somethin'...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.