Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hawg Halter Calipers--a better mousetrap  (Read 3657 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Hawg Halter Calipers--a better mousetrap
« on: March 15, 2007, 07:16:48 PM »

I'm out of town today.  While here an acquaintance at the client's site showed me the pictures he took of these down at Daytona.

The Hawg Halters calipers have a pretty good reputation to begin with.  Supposed to be good brakes.  But here it is with a disk lock combined in to the casting. Apparently a new item only recently released.  Seems like just a really good idea.

Here's Hawg Halters' link to the items on their site:

http://www.hawghalters.com/roadlok-caliper.html

Here's a link to what I assume is the patent holder that licenses the idea to Hawg Halters and offers the various accessory components if one should ever need them:

http://www.roadlok.com/main.html

I'm a fair bit past 20k on my front brake pads.  So a new set of pads was happening after the next little trip anyway.  Was considering getting chrome calipers of some kind when that happened anyway.  This just helped make up my mind.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Hawg Halter Calipers--a better mousetrap
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »

Hey, that is pretty trick!  Lock the fronts and the rear down (if you get the rear) and they'll have to pick both ends up at the same time to get away with the bike.  Not that they couldn't, or wouldn't try, if they wanted it bad enough, but that's still a neat idea. 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 07:26:11 PM »

Hey, that is pretty trick!  Lock the fronts and the rear down (if you get the rear) and they'll have to pick both ends up at the same time to get away with the bike.  Not that they couldn't, or wouldn't try, if they wanted it bad enough, but that's still a neat idea. 8)

That was my reaction too Brian.  If someone wants it bad enough they'll get it.  Even if they have to tear something up.  So it's all about making it more difficult than the stuff setting around it.

I never messed with disk locks.  More hassle than I was willing to mess with and was one more medium sized thing to have to carry. 

One little pin though?  That I could do.  Already got a pouch on the left lower fairing to drop it in to.  So it'll be right next to the caliper for easy on and off.  Just seems like a really slick little idea.  Someone was having a good day when they thought of it.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:48:28 PM »

That was my reaction too Brian.  If someone wants it bad enough they'll get it.  Even if they have to tear something up.  So it's all about making it more difficult than the stuff setting around it.

I never messed with disk locks.  More hassle than I was willing to mess with and was one more medium sized thing to have to carry. 

One little pin though?  That I could do.  Already got a pouch on the left lower fairing to drop it in to.  So it'll be right next to the caliper for easy on and off.  Just seems like a really slick little idea.  Someone was having a good day when they thought of it.

Don...there's an even better mousetrap about to be developed from my conversations with HogPro, who carry the Hawg Halters, by the way. It will have the pin locking mechanism as well.  Don't know all the details yet, but it's in the works.  You might want to give Phil a call at HogPro if you're interested in either of the products.  He can 'splain it better.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:25:54 PM »

Don...there's an even better mousetrap about to be developed from my conversations with HogPro, who carry the Hawg Halters, by the way. It will have the pin locking mechanism as well.  Don't know all the details yet, but it's in the works.  You might want to give Phil a call at HogPro if you're interested in either of the products.  He can 'splain it better.

That'll be worth a phone call TC.  Did speak with the owner at HawgHalters earlier today when inquiring about the product.  Suggestion there seemed to be this was the new product for them.  Maybe a six piston version in the works.  But that'd be out of my price range anyway.

Hope I didn't screw up  :oops: .

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:44:05 PM »

That'll be worth a phone call TC.  Did speak with the owner at HawgHalters earlier today when inquiring about the product.  Suggestion there seemed to be this was the new product for them.  Maybe a six piston version in the works.  But that'd be out of my price range anyway.

Hope I didn't screw up  :oops: .

No, man....no screw ups with a good product.  This piece is from a different company they are thinking of picking up and adding to their line.  It's still in the development stage, but I think it's something like what you're looking at.  Sounds very similar, if not the same thing in a bit different clothing.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:49:10 PM »

No, man....no screw ups with a good product.  This piece is from a different company they are thinking of picking up and adding to their line.  It's still in the development stage, but I think it's something like what you're looking at.  Sounds very similar, if not the same thing in a bit different clothing.

Sounds good.  If something even better comes out that just means everyone else has even more options.  No harm in that and I'll still have good brakes on the bike.  That's a win-win all around.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:56:23 PM »

How the heck is it gonna interface with the "Power Lock" system??  Maybe Blue tooth brake fluid?? :huepfenlol2:
P.S.  I am in for a few of the bra-unhooking filters  for sure :2vrolijk_21:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 11:01:48 PM »

How the heck is it gonna interface with the "Power Lock" system??  Maybe Blue tooth brake fluid?? :huepfenlol2:

Gene, it's all about integration man.  Systems integration  :huepfenlol2: .

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 11:03:19 PM »

How the heck is it gonna interface with the "Power Lock" system??   Maybe Blue tooth brake fluid?? :huepfenlol2:

Now THAT would be cool...

The bra unhooking thing wouldn't be bad either...maybe I can rig something up on the backrest of the tourpak...

TTS Mastertune

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 11:09:52 PM »

Gene, it's all about integration man.  Systems integration  :huepfenlol2: .

Gene, just intergrate it with the plasma. It's easy, even Unbalenced can do it.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 11:19:28 PM »

Bill Bixby(hulk) could talk to (?) My Favorite Martian.. and he can get the Borg to help intergrate it  in some sort of covanant  wheel lock/ bra unhooking on screen heads up display in the plazma. I bet the beve and eddie haskel  whould know who to ask :nixweiss:
Rog  ..  we need a pic of my favorite martian on a cuse with his helmet on.   p.s.  no magnet tools  allowed while operating vechicle!
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.