Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: NEED A REALLY LOUD HORN  (Read 17396 times)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Re: NEED A REALLY LOUD HORN
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2007, 10:03:18 AM »

At this point I hooked the TM80 to the horn wires and tested the horn.  :vrolijk27: After that I reassembled the OEM horn and will go and get a different horn cover. Total cost with shipping $32.70 Horn it's self was $25.00.

Everthing was done according to the shop manual for my 2006 CVO yours may or may not differ. I have concluded that the OEM (Cow Bell) will not fit and I choose not to run the horn without its plastic cover of course you may want to that but then again that's why you call it your bike :)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2007, 10:05:11 AM »

Wayne,
That's all you get. No instructions. The two metal strips aren't needed. Just take the cover off the bike and remove horn from cover, put new horn back in cover, connect wires and you're done.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

For $25 What do expect :) Yes that's it everything!

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »

Where is the loctite? ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

The Task at Hand was disassembely :) I got it in use the manual and you will see it listed :)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2007, 10:07:49 AM »

I then tried to install the neww horn in the stock cover (Notice the silver plastic cap removed from the TM80) The Tm80 would only fit with the cover removed (the bolt shank) was not long enough to fit thru the bracket hole with the plastic cover in place.

NOTE: for dood you only need loctite for reassemble (Damn it give me time the finish the post)
Never thought about removing the plastic cover. Mines did fit, but it would have been nice to have more threads to screw down on.

LOL!!! You know I have to give you the business when I can. You did say you had all your tools laid out. :D

At this point I hooked the TM80 to the horn wires and tested the horn.  :vrolijk27: After that I reassembled the OEM horn and will go and get a different horn cover. Total cost with shipping $32.70 Horn it's self was $25.00.

Everthing was done according to the shop manual for my 2006 CVO yours may or may not differ. I have concluded that the OEM (Cow Bell) will not fit and I choose not to run the horn without its plastic cover of course you may want to that but then again that's why you call it your bike :)

Since I've never had that cover off, what do you think would be the harm in running it w/o it on?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2007, 10:16:24 AM »

Never thought about removing the plastic cover. Mines did fit, but it would have been nice to have more threads to screw down on.

LOL!!! You know I have to give you the business when I can. You did say you had all your tools laid out. :D
Since I've never had that cover off, what do you think would be the harm in running it w/o it on?
Ride Safe,
Fired00d

My first thought would be water and over time could short out the horn or blow a fuse when you flip the horn switch. I also was not happy about the spade tips being located 180 from the stock horn and I couldn't get them routed to my Satisfaction. The Plastic cover is NOT water Tight by any means it just would deflect some of the moister. So I guess I Go Shopping for a horn cover Now :)

My Post just answers the question of will it fit the OEM Cover (It won't on my bike but you can make it fit on yours :))

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2007, 10:20:25 AM »

My first thought would be water and over time could short out the horn or blow a fuse when you flip the horn switch. I also was not happy about the spade tips being located 180 from the stock horn and I couldn't get them routed to my Satisfaction. The Plastic cover is NOT water Tight by any means it just would deflect some of the moister. So I guess I Go Shopping for a horn cover Now :)

My Post just answers the question of will it fit the OEM Cover (It won't on my bike but you can make it fit on yours :))

Ok, gotcha. I wasn't to happy about the placement of the spade tips either, but used some dieelectric grease on them and keeping my fingers crossed.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2007, 10:29:31 AM »

May as well go all the way if you're going for the new cover and get an AIR HORN :vrolijk27:  for maximum effect.

I sure like mine for the volume.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:31:15 AM by Rjob749 »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »

Vazhog-

Thanks for the pictures and write up.  The statement "give me some time d00d" or there abouts was priceless.    ;D 

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »

:) I was taking too long to type (dood) was hasslen me (working on his post totals) Hope it helped ya. Wayne

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »

:) I was taking too long to type (dood) was hasslen me (working on his post totals) Hope it helped ya. Wayne
Who me?? :o Mr. Innocent!! :grin2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2007, 03:26:48 PM »

I ordered 2 TM80 Strebel horns last week from Adventure Workshop and received them today.  Everyone has to do what is best for them and this is how I did the install.  The stock horn and TM80 look the same except the terminals of the stock horn are at the bottom and the TM80's are at the top.  I tried my darnest to rotate the outer housing of the TM80 with the body but was afraid of breaking something.  I discarded the grey plastic cover as it fit so loose I don't know how it could offfer any water protection.   The TM80 mounted nicely inside the stock cow bell.  The wire terminals from under the tank are exposed at the top of the cowbell where they weren't with the stock horn.  Applied dielectric grease to the terminals. I thought the visibility of the wire ends would disturb me but they don't.  The wire loom is tie straped to the backside of the horn mouinting bracket at the top.

And yes, the TM80 is much louder than stock!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2007, 03:33:56 PM »

I ordered 2 TM80 Strebel horns last week from Adventure Workshop and received them today.  Everyone has to do what is best for them and this is how I did the install.  The stock horn and TM80 look the same except the terminals of the stock horn are at the bottom and the TM80's are at the top.  I tried my darnest to rotate the outer housing of the TM80 with the body but was afraid of breaking something.  I discarded the grey plastic cover as it fit so loose I don't know how it could offfer any water protection.   The TM80 mounted nicely inside the stock cow bell.  The wire terminals from under the tank are exposed at the top of the cowbell where they weren't with the stock horn.  Applied dielectric grease to the terminals. I thought the visibility of the wire ends would disturb me but they don't.  The wire loom is tie straped to the backside of the horn mouinting bracket at the top.

And yes, the TM80 is much louder than stock!

I pretty much did the same on my 4-speed. That grey cover fell off while I was checking out how I wanted to wire it, since the wiring is upside down from the stock horn, and I tossed that. It is loud, but I'm not overly thrilled with the high pitch, compared to the deeper pitch of my SERK Horn. I don't know if it's any louder than the new SERK. A SERK horn might be a better option. But it is a loud horn and for $25 you can't go wrong at that price. It's not the end-all of horns though. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2007, 04:45:01 PM »

I pretty much did the same on my 4-speed. That grey cover fell off while I was checking out how I wanted to wire it, since the wiring is upside down from the stock horn, and I tossed that. It is loud, but I'm not overly thrilled with the high pitch, compared to the deeper pitch of my SERK Horn. I don't know if it's any louder than the new SERK. A SERK horn might be a better option. But it is a loud horn and for $25 you can't go wrong at that price. It's not the end-all of horns though. Hoist! 8)

I agree: anybody wants mine I'll bring it with me to Hotsprings and trade shots of jack black for it :)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »

The horn deal is kind of strange regarding the noise.  On my 05, the TM80 is a lot louder than the stock.  I also bought one for my wife's 03 Fatboy and the FB stock horn is really loud compared to my stock 05 SEEG2 horn.  May leave the Fatboy horn alone for now.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2007, 06:52:39 AM »

Has anyone considered this as an option?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.