Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 CVO M8 117CI Battery optiions  (Read 959 times)

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
2018 CVO M8 117CI Battery optiions
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »

Hello Gentlemen,  is it just me or does the M8 117 seem to crank a little on the slow side?

Is anyone using the Antigravity ATX-30-HD  battery?   pricey i know,  but it does have some impressive spec's.
i would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge of this battery or anything better for that matter.   

970 CCA 7.81 Pounds 48Ah - Replaces YTX30, YTX30L-BS, YIX30, YIX30L-BS, GYZ32HL

I have in the past used the shorai LFX36L3-BS12 on my 103 motor but would NEVER consider it for this 117.

as always thanks for any feedback ...
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: 2018 CVO M8 117CI Battery optiions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 11:45:05 PM »

I literally just received it in the mail today! I have run Antigravity batteries in my bikes for years. I have the ATX-20 in my other bike (didnt make the 30 yet when I got it) that has a S&S 124 in it and it turns it over like a Honda. I hate how slow my 19 turns over worrying the battery will die before bike starts I always intended to get a Antigravity when the stock battery needed replacement but with the 131 kit going in I decided not to wait so ordered it last week.
Alan

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 11:51:06 PM »

Hey that is really cool. I can’t wait to hear from you how it cranks over with this ATX-30-H-D battery.

If you give it a thumbs up I will place the order same day.   

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 01:06:38 AM »

Hey that is really cool. I can’t wait to hear from you how it cranks over with this ATX-30-H-D battery.

If you give it a thumbs up I will place the order same day.   

Thanks

Just a FYI that we are waiting for CA approval for the stage 4 kit before I install the battery. Not sure how long that will take.. As I said though, the smaller AG battery on my other bike cranks like a Honda and that battery is 3 years old..
Alan

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »

Well that’s a hell of a letdown.  You make it sound like it could be months before you get your stage four done.  I guess I’ll just have to order it myself and if we haven’t heard from you by the time I get mine I’ll post a review.
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 11:28:23 PM »

Well that’s a hell of a letdown.  You make it sound like it could be months before you get your stage four done.  I guess I’ll just have to order it myself and if we haven’t heard from you by the time I get mine I’ll post a review.
I sure as HE__ hope its not months. Dealer hoping for approval any day (which could be months...)
Alan

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 11:33:03 PM »

Understood.    I hate waiting. I know exactly how you feel ha ha.    I hope you keep us updated with how the build goes.   I see that in my future someday

2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 11:19:10 PM »

I just wanted to give some feedback on the AG ATX-30-HD battery install that i did recently in case others are considering it . 

It's spec at 950CA i'm sure less CCA but I dont know what that number is ...
30AH in something called PbEq ... actual i'm told is ~27 and lets face it ... even that is probably exaggerated.  HA!
Life expectancy is claimed to be quite abit longer than glass matt or lead acid.  I swear that Sonny said he knows people with them that are 8 years old ..  again, your millage WILL vary.   I still have a lithium shorai that is still good, around 7 years old, but i would not even attempt to use it on this M8 117. 

It’s a perfect case size. fit is identical compared to the standard Harley battery. No foam spacers required. I like that a lot.  Yes it way lighter but i don't care about that  EXCEPT when lifting it out for what ever reason   ;D.

It has a terminal on each of the four corners of the case which makes it usable in a left or right side +.   came in handy for adding third party accessories on the extra terminals, however it is not equipped with the AG restart technology where they partition off a reserve amount of storage to start a low bettery without cables ...  but you have to take off the seat and tray above the battery to activate it. I prefer that it not have that feature anyway. I prefer all the power i can get straight up.  One thing i did not like about the terminals is that they are chromed steel that you need to slide the threaded block into. We have all seen them  tricky to do while bike is on the jiffy stand ... piece of tape kept me from having to retrieve them from the bottom of battery box ..

as mentioned, AH rating is lower than standard Harley battery so I ran the AG hard wired cable connector from battery to the tourpak and plan on carrying the AG lithium jump start XP-10-HD just in case.  I have been stranded in the past with the older shorai lithium batteries and i do like my stereo  ;D   Also this will make a great USB charge ports for the SENA 30k headsets without draining main battery

Also, this bike is equipped with INNOVV camera system,  Front /rear/side to side.  i didn't install it, but i plan on making use of it and its got to have some constant drain on the battery ...

I also picked up a few other accessories such as:
1) the "Optimate test" for quick plugin to the trickle charge cable. It checks status, crank voltage and alternator health checks etc.   
2) AG IOS compatible Bluetooth battery Tracker.   This probably makes the previous mentioned tester redundant but what hell ...   ;D It will give battery status alerts to your cell when in Bluetooth range. 
3) AND to bring all this together the Optimate 271 charger.  This thing is a brick.  Did not expect it to be this substantial. What it does that IS a must is that it will reactivate a lithium battery with a BMS reset if and when you ever drain the battery below a certain voltage and the battery becomes inoperable.   

The big question for me was, does all this add value?  and was it worth the price?. 

In my opinion my 117 motor felt like it cranked over a little slow for my tastes,  plus there are after market accessories installed ... It could very have been the original battery in this bike, not really sure.   But i can tell you that its feels like it should now. It doesn't start like a scolded rat, But just like you would expect it should.   

Is it worth the money? If you are happy with what you have probably not.  Personally Im glad i did the upgrade.   

I hope that its ok that i mention they offered a discount to disable veterans, which made all this possible for me. 

If anyone has questions not answer here, i'm happy to respond ..

Dave
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:21:19 PM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 12:24:34 AM »

I just wanted to give some feedback on the AG ATX-30-HD battery install that i did recently in case others are considering it . 

It's spec at 950CA i'm sure less CCA but I dont know what that number is ...
30AH in something called PbEq ... actual i'm told is ~27 and lets face it ... even that is probably exaggerated.  HA!
Life expectancy is claimed to be quite abit longer than glass matt or lead acid.  I swear that Sonny said he knows people with them that are 8 years old ..  again, your millage WILL vary.   I still have a lithium shorai that is still good, around 7 years old, but i would not even attempt to use it on this M8 117. 

It’s a perfect case size. fit is identical compared to the standard Harley battery. No foam spacers required. I like that a lot.  Yes it way lighter but i don't care about that  EXCEPT when lifting it out for what ever reason   ;D.

It has a terminal on each of the four corners of the case which makes it usable in a left or right side +.   came in handy for adding third party accessories on the extra terminals, however it is not equipped with the AG restart technology where they partition off a reserve amount of storage to start a low bettery without cables ...  but you have to take off the seat and tray above the battery to activate it. I prefer that it not have that feature anyway. I prefer all the power i can get straight up.  One thing i did not like about the terminals is that they are chromed steel that you need to slide the threaded block into. We have all seen them  tricky to do while bike is not the jiffy stand ... piece of tape kept me from having to retrieve them from the bottom of battery box ..

as mentioned, AH rating is lower than standard Harley battery so I ran the AG hard wired cable connector from battery to the tourpak and plan on carrying the AG lithium jump start XP-10-HD just in case.  I have been stranded in the past with the older shorai lithium batteries and i do like my stereo  ;D   Also this will make a great USB charge ports for the SENA 30k headsets without draining main battery

Also, this bike is equipped with INNOVV camera system,  Front /rear/side to side.  i didn't install it, but i plan on making use of it and its got to have some constant drain on the battery ...

I also picked up a few other accessories such as:
1) the "Optimate test" for quick plugin to the trickle charge cable. It checks status, crank voltage and alternator health checks etc.   
2) AG IOS compatible Bluetooth battery Tracker.   This probably makes the previous mentioned tester redundant but what hell ...   ;D It will give battery status alerts to your cell when in Bluetooth range. 
3) AND to bring all this together the Optimate 271 charger.  This thing is a brick.  Did not expect it to be this substantial. What it does that IS a must is that it will reactivate a lithium battery with a BMS reset if and when you ever drain the battery below a certain voltage and the battery becomes inoperable.   

The big question for me was, does all this add value?  and was it worth the price?. 

In my opinion my 117 motor felt like it cranked over a little slow for my tastes,  plus there are after market accessories installed ... It could very have been the original battery in this bike, not really sure.   But i can tell you that its feels like it should now. It doesn't start like a scolded rat, But just like you would expect it should.   

Is it worth the money? If you are happy with what you have probably not.  Personally Im glad i did the upgrade.   

I hope that its ok that i mention they offered a discount to disable veterans, which made all this possible for me. 

If anyone has questions not answer here, i'm happy to respond ..

Dave
Thanks Dave, looking forward to installing mine!
Alan

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.