Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom dynamics bag lights (advice needed)  (Read 630 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Custom dynamics bag lights (advice needed)
« on: June 12, 2020, 07:26:58 AM »

Over the winter I bought the custom dynamics bag lights for my bike, also for Kathy's bike. I put them on back in April but over the weekend noticed one light wasn't sticking right. So I took it off cleaned everything off (I thought really good) and reinstalled it. A few hours later it was coming off again. So once again I took it off, cleaned the bag and light off and reinstalled it again, only to have a section of it not stick.

So once again the light is off. This time I cleaned it off and let it sit over night. Tonight when I get home I am going to put another new section of 3m tape on it and I will let that sit over night before putting it on the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions to making it stick this time? My plan is to use a paint surface prep wipe before putting he tape on the light and also wiping the bag with a prep wipe before putting the light on the bag. The other one on my bike is perfect and the 2 on Kathy's bike are perfect, this one is just driving me nuts.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Custom dynamics bag lights (advice needed)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 09:41:26 AM »

I cleaned mine with the alcohol wipes and has been 3 + years and no problem.
Sometimes I catch myself using it as a handle when removing the bag.
Have you been able to check the imprint on the tape, bag and light to see if surface to surface mounting matches?  Maybe  the curve of the light base is bad.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 12:15:09 PM »

3M makes a primer for there two sided tape. Custom Dynamics (Dave) gave me some for the 5 foot LED taillamp I put on my trailer that he made. After that I remembered we bought it way back in the '80's when I was still in body shop. It is good stuff, never had it ever come loose.
Google 3M primer, I bought it last time thru Amazon in little envelopes which each contained one little sponge soaked in the stuff. Wouldn't use the tape anymore without the primer.

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 05:14:24 PM »

Agree with above and once installed, use a c-clamp or quick clamp to apply a little tension for 24 hours...but don't over tighten!
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »

I used some rustoleum paint prep wipes. I cleaned the light really good and then put the tape on. I am leaving it sit over night and I will put it on the bag tomorrow. I am going to wash the bike in the morning and leave it sit in the sun to dry. Plan then is to clay bar the back of the bag and then use a new prep wipe on the bag. I tried using a clamp the last time but I think it made it worse, with the angle of the light and bag it wouldn't sit right. I held the light against the bag with no tape and it was off a small amount, less then the thickness of the tape. If this doesn't work I'll call custom dynamics on Monday.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 03:37:26 PM »

Got it put back on. Had to double up the 3m tape cause it didn't exactly match the contour of the bag. Leave the bike sit for a few days and fingers crossed it stays on. Still going to contact custom dynamics on Monday.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 20 queries.