Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing overlay harness in an 11 cvo roadglide  (Read 1064 times)

Mav7500

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

Removing overlay harness in an 11 cvo roadglide
« on: December 21, 2020, 09:33:31 PM »

I bought a new head unit and am trying to get sound from it by removing the factory harness and amp. I've read that I need to remove the overlay harness, but I'm not finding any plugs in the fairing that will allow me to do that. What am I missing here. Thanks in advance for any help.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Removing overlay harness in an 11 cvo roadglide
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 11:30:09 PM »

the newer bikes have vin specific wiring harness.

you need to verify what you actually have.

my 06 had a overlay, my 07 its still a "overlay" but its all wrapped in the same loom in the backbone under the tank..... and some late factory amps had a third layer of overlay. from 06 on you have to really verify what you really have

Mav7500

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »

I really just want to know how to remove all the extra wiring without butchering the harness too badly, and to use the aquatic av head unit that I have.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 02:24:47 PM »

you have the actual wiring manual, correct?   anything you remove or cut is a one way street

Mav7500

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »

No I dont have the electrical schematic for it. I do realize that its a one way street. Have no plans to sell, just customize for myself as I usually do lol.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 07:12:07 PM »

If you really intend to own the bike for an extended length of time... Stay OUT of the harness. You will be glad later when you decide to return everything to the way it was originally. NEVER a good idea to make permanent changes to a wiring harness unless you have another stock one for future use.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 09:59:05 PM »

first its CAN BUS  if you don't have a schematic - DO NOT TOUCH anything. you could disable the bike, and brick it, real easy. that's why i assumed you have the wring manual - its on line just look it up, folks have bricked body control modules by just modifying the wiring to the handlebar switches.. cut, solder, put together - boom bricked bike.. i really wish i was kidding.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »

first its CAN BUS  if you don't have a schematic - DO NOT TOUCH anything. you could disable the bike, and brick it, real easy. that's why i assumed you have the wring manual - its on line just look it up, folks have bricked body control modules by just modifying the wiring to the handlebar switches.. cut, solder, put together - boom bricked bike.. i really wish i was kidding.

2011 is not CANBUS, this started on the touring models in 2014.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 06:08:29 PM »

I bought a new head unit and am trying to get sound from it by removing the factory harness and amp. I've read that I need to remove the overlay harness, but I'm not finding any plugs in the fairing that will allow me to do that. What am I missing here. Thanks in advance for any help.

I did a complete how to on this with a Hawg-wired amp install on a 2010 CVO ultra. It is the same for the 2011. Not the exact application you are doing but following this will get you where you need to be. If you have questions you can call me at the shop....

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=45609.0

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.