Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fork Springs  (Read 7997 times)

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
Fork Springs
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:28:38 PM »

I have 15k miles on my FXR3 and I was going to change out the oil before this season.  Is there a good way to determine if I need new springs as well?  Also I saw some posts in the past about different manufacturers (Progressive) and different oil weight.

I think I should have done this earlier.  It appears that my front fender was hitting my tool pouch which I mounted under the head light.  Made a nice dent!  CRAP!

Thanks

FXR3Joe

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Fork Springs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »

I don't think you stock springs are worn out, but I think the stock springs are just adequate even when new. I haven't changed the ones in My Road King yet, but I did change to progressive suspension springs on a V65 Honda I had, great improvement over stock, had to cut down a spacer in the forks, but it was easy. I think you bike uses 7W fork oil, a lot of the bigger touring bikes move to 15W oil, not sure if that's to heavy you your bike, but the guys I've talked to think it was a big improvement. I'm going to 15W this spring.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:15:45 PM by Talon »

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:18:10 AM »

For what it's worth. I have had the springs out of my fxr4 and they are a progressive type wound spring.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:24:05 AM »

I have 15k miles on my FXR3 and I was going to change out the oil before this season.  Is there a good way to determine if I need new springs as well?  Also I saw some posts in the past about different manufacturers (Progressive) and different oil weight.

I think I should have done this earlier.  It appears that my front fender was hitting my tool pouch which I mounted under the head light.  Made a nice dent!  CRAP!

Thanks

FXR3Joe

You might check on the Traxxion inserts-go to the CVO home page and check the Traxxion section.

Ride Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »

I don't think you stock springs are worn out, but I think the stock springs are just adequate even when new. I haven't changed the ones in My Road King yet, but I did change to progressive suspension springs on a V65 Honda I had, great improvement over stock, had to cut down a spacer in the forks, but it was easy. I think you bike uses 7W fork oil, a lot of the bigger touring bikes move to 15W oil, not sure if that's to heavy you your bike, but the guys I've talked to think it was a big improvement. I'm going to 15W this spring.

Did you have a V65 like this one?   :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenjump3:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:09:20 AM »

It looked like this.

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 09:10:26 AM »

One more.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »

It looked like this.

Almost a twin!  I added the Vetter "Rooster" fairing and radio on mine, and the sliding backrest...  Heck of a bike.  120 h.p. stock at about 500 lbs.  I have had mine at a very stable 145mph.  Incredible acceleration.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »

Yea, it'll get over a 100mph before you know it! It was a little change when I went to the RK!

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »

For what it's worth. I have had the springs out of my fxr4 and they are a progressive type wound spring.

Hi,
I also have a FXR4 and wanted to change my springs to Progressive. Did you buy your bike new? I do not want to spend mony on progressive spings if the bikes come stock with them.
Thanks,
Ltank

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 07:26:52 PM »

Hi,
I also have a FXR4 and wanted to change my springs to Progressive. Did you buy your bike new? I do not want to spend mony on progressive spings if the bikes come stock with them.
Thanks,
Ltank
No I didn't buy the bike new, (4,000 mi) so you raise a good question. Its not hard to pull one out and see. Its worth a try and maybe save yourself some money.

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45:26 AM »

Not on the FXR's you should just follow you shop manual for pulling the fork tubes out of the triple tree. I loosen the top nut on the fork tube first if you can. That's what I did on the V65.

You may also want to check these guys out, looks like a step up from the progressive suspension springs, but near as much as the Traxxion. I'm thinking about going this route.

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=19&c=Yes&showPage=harley

Craig

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »

Not on the FXR's you should just follow you shop manual for pulling the fork tubes out of the triple tree. I loosen the top nut on the fork tube first if you can. That's what I did on the V65.
I'm just wondering ..... you think that has anything to do with the way things work on the HD  ???

You may also want to check these guys out, looks like a step up from the progressive suspension springs, but near as much as the Traxxion. I'm thinking about going this route.

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=19&c=Yes&showPage=harley

Craig

2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:51:44 AM »

Could, if the top fork tube nut is exposed it easier to loosen while in the triple trees, instead of trying to put it in a vice, But if the triple tree has a lip on the top then you wouldn't be able to do this, some bikes do, not most, so yes I think it about the same. :nixweiss: :confused5:

Craig

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »

Hi,
 I finally upgraded my 39mm front end. I used the progressive springs and thr Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulator. The combo makes for a nice ride. It is alot better in tight twisting turns and on the open road.Now that I have some miles on the new set up I should have used the RaceTech springs. The Gold valves made the biggest difference in the ride using the middle weight valve spring. Used PJ1 mid weight fork oil.
Thanks,
LTank
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 24 queries.