Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHIM self install  (Read 963 times)

Glenncarp

WHIM self install
« on: January 29, 2021, 05:52:33 PM »

Well,
Not sure why I waited for months to tackle the WHIM install. Started on Road Glide at 1 PM. back together and working perfectly at 2:13 and $200 in my pocket and no 30 minute ride in 31 degree weather to dealer. Glad I had them flash GTS when Android Auto became available as no need to have it flashed again, thanks to those who confirmed this before I decided to do this today. I think I waited because I had nightmares of removing the shark nose on the '11 so many times. The '19 is a piece of cake compared to the '11!!! No stupid hook to get nose on around headlights, wires and blinker housings.

Android Auto with microphone is awesome, works just like car. Was able to make calls, send text messages, speak address to navigation and switch music sources all with voice.

Was going to take tank off, but saw that update cable fit nicely in speaker pod, so saw no need to go though tank removal. I added J&M Amp last year and have to say, trying to get update cable through Road Glide fairing with amp now installed on bottom of radio was impossible, another reason for speaker pod mount. Used electricians snake to try and get from neck into upper fairing, hole was maybe 1/4" in diameter and cable would have never fit.

Over all ecstatic about upgrade and Android Auto functionality now.

Have 2 questions for forum:

How often has WHIM needed to be updated?

How do you know when it needs an update?

Its not like you can view a version of the software on it, maybe you can of you plug it in, but can't imaging updates are needed that often.

Also, was not able to get HD/Sena software to update in headset, HD never got back to me after the "Were going to research the issue" so went to Senas web site and on chat and tech said there have been no updated to headset since 2015. Decided to not go through aggravation of getting it to appear on app when it probably will never be needed. I am sure HD will get back to me in a few months :-*.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:54:14 PM by Glenncarp »

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: WHIM self install
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:31:27 PM »

Well,
Not sure why I waited for months to tackle the WHIM install. Started on Road Glide at 1 PM. back together and working perfectly at 2:13 and $200 in my pocket and no 30 minute ride in 31 degree weather to dealer. Glad I had them flash GTS when Android Auto became available as no need to have it flashed again, thanks to those who confirmed this before I decided to do this today. I think I waited because I had nightmares of removing the shark nose on the '11 so many times. The '19 is a piece of cake compared to the '11!!! No stupid hook to get nose on around headlights, wires and blinker housings.

Android Auto with microphone is awesome, works just like car. Was able to make calls, send text messages, speak address to navigation and switch music sources all with voice.

Was going to take tank off, but saw that update cable fit nicely in speaker pod, so saw no need to go though tank removal. I added J&M Amp last year and have to say, trying to get update cable through Road Glide fairing with amp now installed on bottom of radio was impossible, another reason for speaker pod mount. Used electricians snake to try and get from neck into upper fairing, hole was maybe 1/4" in diameter and cable would have never fit.

Over all ecstatic about upgrade and Android Auto functionality now.

Have 2 questions for forum:

How often has WHIM needed to be updated?

How do you know when it needs an update?

Its not like you can view a version of the software on it, maybe you can of you plug it in, but can't imaging updates are needed that often.

Also, was not able to get HD/Sena software to update in headset, HD never got back to me after the "Were going to research the issue" so went to Senas web site and on chat and tech said there have been no updated to headset since 2015. Decided to not go through aggravation of getting it to appear on app when it probably will never be needed. I am sure HD will get back to me in a few months :-*.

There have been several updates for the HD Sena 20S headset since 2017.

What device manager are you using? Sena or HD Boom Audio?

I believe the current version for the 20S is 2.2.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 08:43:54 PM »

Tried both updaters, same error. Sena rep said no updated since 2015, not sure why. Works perfectly, so I'm going to leave well enough alone.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:00:34 AM »

WHIM was first used by Harley on the 2017 CVO bikes.  There has been two WHIM updates since introduced. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Glenncarp

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 09:47:47 AM »

WHIM was first used by Harley on the 2017 CVO bikes.  There has been two WHIM updates since introduced.

WHIM updated as soon as I used cable that came with headset. I've reset headset, tried 3 different cables, tried Sena updater, HD udater, nothing recognizes headset. Tried turning it on, off you name it. Sena says HD needs to replace headset....don't see them doing that

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 09:58:56 PM »

how long have you had it?  the sena headset has a 2 year warranty through hd.

i had a situation where my 30k would not connect to the mesh.  i would start it, but would never get the voice response, 'mesh connected, public mode'.  after talking with someone in customer service in wi, i took my receipt and my headsets to the local dealer, and they did a warranty exchange.  since we had bought the dual pack, we had to give them both of our headsets and they gave us 2 brand new ones  (they did keep the packaging and the speakers/mics/mounts, which i had no problem with.  at this time, we had owned them for about 16 months.

the new ones worked perfect.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:01:34 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Glenncarp

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 06:29:54 PM »

how long have you had it?  the sena headset has a 2 year warranty through hd.

i had a situation where my 30k would not connect to the mesh.  i would start it, but would never get the voice response, 'mesh connected, public mode'.  after talking with someone in customer service in wi, i took my receipt and my headsets to the local dealer, and they did a warranty exchange.  since we had bought the dual pack, we had to give them both of our headsets and they gave us 2 brand new ones  (they did keep the packaging and the speakers/mics/mounts, which i had no problem with.  at this time, we had owned them for about 16 months.

the new ones worked perfect.

HD called me back tonight and advised that I needed to start updater, plug in headset and hit next to get to device recognition screen, turn on headset, then wait for drivers to update before hitting "next". I did not see anywhere drivers were updating, but waited for 3 minutes and bingo, was able to update headset. BTW latest version is 1.1 from HD software page.

I had the headset packed up and my dealer is closed on Mon and Tues, otherwise I would have returned it today. Lol.

HD tech said "don't ever call Sena for help with an HD headset". Felt like saying "Sena has a chat feature and was able to assist me the day I needed help, not 4 days later" but refrained since  we was there to help and he did.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:31:40 PM by Glenncarp »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »

you got lucky getting sena to help you.  the only help I could ever get from them was to do a factory reset.  being an hd product, they would not offer any help above and beyond that.

which headset are you updating? 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:00:30 AM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Glenncarp

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »

you got lucky getting sena to help you.  the only help I could ever get from them was to do a factory reset.  being an hd product, they would not offer any help above and beyond that.

which headset are you updating?

The HD Expand and Sena was not much help, but at least they were available

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.