Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: J&M Audio Speakers with Boom Audio Stage II  (Read 1205 times)

Korazu

• NC

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Ruby Red/Platinum Silver
J&M Audio Speakers with Boom Audio Stage II
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:26:34 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking to upgrade my system after upgrading to the GTS head unit. I have a '16 FLTRUSE with the stock Boom stage II audio and tired of it. I am not sure even with the discount they are offering now that I want to spend $1700+ on 4 speakers and an amp. However, they said I could just switch out my speakers but have read in some topics on there, granted they are 2011-2013 range that said you could not.

Anyone else have experience with just switching out the speakers with the stock Boom amp? What would I gain with going with the J&M amp over the Boom? If there's anything I am missing please let me know. I am only looking at J&M for the upgrade.

Thanks!
"If you can park your bike without admiring it, then you've bought the wrong bike!"

States my harley's been in: States I've been to:

Chucker57

Re: J&M Audio Speakers with Boom Audio Stage II
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 04:15:33 PM »

The Harley Amp and speaker are junk. It's the factory eq curve. The head unit is ok if it's flashed. I'm switching over to SoundZ.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:48 PM »

a few more bucks to get SOUNDZ speakers and amp... you wont be sorry,   :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Korazu

• NC

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »

The Harley Amp and speaker are junk. It's the factory eq curve. The head unit is ok if it's flashed. I'm switching over to SoundZ.
a few more bucks to get SOUNDZ speakers and amp... you wont be sorry,   :2vrolijk_21:

Why Soundz?

With a lot of research I was doing on retrofitting a GTS head unit, I found out they used to make an adapter for the 14-16 bikes, but charged like $450, which seems outrageous/excessive. Then it seems HD said screw you and then made them able to be retrofitted into the 14-16's. So on principal, I don't know that I want to give my money to some price gougers. IMO
"If you can park your bike without admiring it, then you've bought the wrong bike!"

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 08:12:01 PM »

I'm on my 3rd bike with soundz. He is absolutely the best bike audio guy around. Don't even put jm in the same sentence with soundz.  Jm to me is junk. I'd stay with the stock stuff before going there. I go with soundz every time. Best audio best install too.    Stuart.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:17:55 PM »

I had a 2016 CVO Street Glide with Boom II, it sounded good enough for me and had no trouble with speakers being blown out as some on here have.

I purchased a 2019 CVO Limited witch came stock with Boom I, it was a big difference compared to the Boom II, I couldn't stand it, you could barely hear it.  I almost upgraded it to the Boom II, but was afraid too because of speaker problems, so I went with SoundZ and 10 times better that the Boom II, I can turn the volume all the way up and no distortion, I can here the music even with a full-face helmet riding down the highway at 80 mph! They even came to my house in Ohio and installed it in my garage.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Korazu

• NC

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:42:55 PM »

Thanks guys. I may hold out to see what the RF's sound like and decide from there.  I definitely looking/wanting a plug and play system and not putting together pieces and parts as I am not that savy or knowledgeable in the audio realm, however, I can follow some plug and play instructions. lol

I also don't know that I can justify the price on Soundz, especially with J&M running a 20% off until 3.31.21. But I guess sometimes you do pay more for quality. I guess my best bet is to find someone in NC that has either J&M or Soundz to actually hear and tell the difference.

For the Soundz, which speakers did y'all select, as they've got 4 different types and did you go with the DSP unit also with the amp?

Also, I was incorrect, as I have a stage 1 not 2.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:02:40 PM »

I have a 19 mako. I did their 4 channel amp.  DSP and the iron speakers. The top of the line. Pricy yes . But so much better than anything else out there. I figured it was a very expensive bike, why go cheap now. I never looked back. Stuart.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
J&M Audio Speakers with Boom Audio Stage II
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 10:04:35 PM »

I went with four carbon speakers, four channel amp and the DSP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:07:04 PM by Serdvd6 »
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 12:33:49 PM »

SM4.100 amp, iron 6.5 speakers and DSP... to my ear the iron speakers sound better. This set up sounds amazing at any speed ... you won’t under stand how good it is till you hear it in person, like I said before you won’t be sorry
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Glenncarp

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 08:41:20 AM »

I'm on my 3rd bike with soundz. He is absolutely the best bike audio guy around. Don't even put jm in the same sentence with soundz.  Jm to me is junk. I'd stay with the stock stuff before going there. I go with soundz every time. Best audio best install too.    Stuart.

Can't argue with Soundz, quality is unreal and Pete and staff are amazing people. Pete answered the phone at shop one day and we chatted for 15 minutes on audio and HD etc. I now live in NC mountains so getting to a rally where Soundz is is tough.

Have to disagree with J&M though, I went with the Rokker speakers and amp over HD stock junk and I am very happy. 0 issues in two years and sound so much better than stock. No saying it is ultra high fidelity, but for the $, sooo much better the Boom! audio junk.

Glenncarp

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »

Why Soundz?

With a lot of research I was doing on retrofitting a GTS head unit, I found out they used to make an adapter for the 14-16 bikes, but charged like $450, which seems outrageous/excessive. Then it seems HD said screw you and then made them able to be retrofitted into the 14-16's. So on principal, I don't know that I want to give my money to some price gougers. IMO

https://soundzbaggeraudio.com/

Korazu

• NC

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »

Can't argue with Soundz, quality is unreal and Pete and staff are amazing people. Pete answered the phone at shop one day and we chatted for 15 minutes on audio and HD etc. I now live in NC mountains so getting to a rally where Soundz is is tough.

Have to disagree with J&M though, I went with the Rokker speakers and amp over HD stock junk and I am very happy. 0 issues in two years and sound so much better than stock. No saying it is ultra high fidelity, but for the $, sooo much better the Boom! audio junk.

Glenn,

Thanks for that. I guess I just don't know what I want as I am teetering back and forth between keeping it stockish, by getting the RF's, going to J&M or to Soundz. I guess the first thing I will be doing is changing out the cams when warranty ends on March 6th.  :D :mango:

Do you ever get up to WS or GSO? Maybe could meet in Statesville some time as I'd like to hear the J&M's.

Glenncarp

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 12:35:36 PM »

Glenn,

Thanks for that. I guess I just don't know what I want as I am teetering back and forth between keeping it stockish, by getting the RF's, going to J&M or to Soundz. I guess the first thing I will be doing is changing out the cams when warranty ends on March 6th.  :D :mango:

Do you ever get up to WS or GSO? Maybe could meet in Statesville some time as I'd like to hear the J&M's.

I do not go east. I live 12 miles from the BRP, 80 (Devils Whip), 226A (the rattler) and 226, so heading east seems useless (no offense, lol)

If you come west to the mountains, send my a note and we can meet up and you can hear my J&M amp and speakers. BTW, I have a Road Glide Special, so no tour pack, I only have the 2 from fairing speakers. Still sounds damn good though. I installed myself and spent less than $600 on upgrade. Soundz is awesome, but you will not get a system from them for probably less than $1,800.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.