Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ride-Str8 Stabilizer-Rear Steer  (Read 9274 times)

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Ride-Str8 Stabilizer-Rear Steer
« on: November 15, 2004, 04:29:26 PM »

Well, on the last ride of the season here in Northern Michigan [smiley=santa.gif], I had my first rear steer / mid-corner correction experience with the SERK.  Kinda spooky when you are healed over in a corner on a nice line and the bike decides to take a completely different line.  I'd swear that she is possessed. [smiley=devil.gif]

Has anyone out there installed the Ride-Str8 stabilizer for the rear motor mount?  What can I expect for improvement?  I see it is only available in black powdercoat, anyone know where to get the Scobby Gold powdercoated? [smiley=confused5.gif]

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Ride-Str8 Stabilizer-Rear Steer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 04:35:10 PM »

TB, check this link out to a thread in the Group Buy section: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=mkt_group;action=display;num=1092335448

Also, here's a link to the thread where comparisons to the Ride-Str8 and True-Track were discussed: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1089027701;start=35#35
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 04:36:28 PM by 103tHunDer »

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 08:11:42 PM »

Well, on the last ride of the season here in Northern Michigan [smiley=santa.gif], I had my first rear steer / mid-corner correction experience with the SERK.

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 01:59:12 PM »

MFG [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Thats quite a list.
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

TB

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 02:07:33 PM »

MFG,

Thanks for the info.  So............is powdercoat similar to paint in that you can formulate any color powder as long as you have the paint code and/or recipe?  Or, are the colors limited to a few PPG colors?  

How the heck do they mix the powder anyway.  Surely not like a paint mix that can be done at the auto parts store.

TB
TB

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 02:11:27 PM »

MFG,

Thanks for the info.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TB

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 02:51:42 PM »

Anyone out there with recent feedback on the Ride Str8?   Seems like from some of the previous threads that it doesn't eat up ground clearance like the other bracket available out there, but does it really fix the "possessed by the devil  [smiley=evil.gif]" issue.

Kinda looks like a bit of work to pull off the swingarm to get to the rubber mount and then after being modified with the additional ball end/arm have it stripped and powdercoated to match.  Any ideas out there for an easier fix [smiley=idea2.gif].

(I know............. try slowing down!!!!!!!!! [smiley=mad.gif]  
TB

Magickman007

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 12:21:37 PM »

Someone please enlighten me on the 'rear steer' issue.  I tried to search and cannot find any info.  Is this something I should be aware of?  And what causes it?

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 01:58:31 PM »

Someone please enlighten me on the 'rear steer' issue.  I tried to search and cannot find any info.  Is this something I should be aware of?  And what causes it?

Hey Magickman007,
You are correct, you should be aware of "rear-steer".

In a nutshell there are two anomalies that occur within operational self steering of motorcycles.  
Wobble is attributable to the front of the motorcycle.
Weave is the rear of the motorcycle.
Provided that your tires, wheel-bearings and the like are up to snuff.
"Rear-steer" (wobble) happens on motorcycles due to many causes.  What has been addressed here is the stiffening of the rear of the motorcycle, specifically the swing arm of the motorcycle. What is noticed as rear steer is; when the plane that the rear wheel(gyroscope) is shifted due to the flexion of the swingarm, the bike suddenly wants to change direction and the rider must adjust for it through weight shift, acceleration/deceleration, handlebar movement, etc. so as to not dump the bike.
The purpose of the two after market products discussed so far is to stiffen the rear end of the motorcycle, reducing or preventing flexion which is causing "rear-steer" or weave.  Both products have been developed to strengthen a weakness in the swingarm of the bikes that they were designed for.
I can go into greater detail if you find this explanation insufficient.
Mike

Magickman007

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 03:12:39 PM »

I can completely understand that explanation, but that brings up the question of the SERK.  Is it prone to 'rear steer' any more than other bikes of a similar design?  And should I look into the ride str8 even though I have not experienced it?

mfgreen

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 04:18:57 PM »

I can completely understand that explanation, but that brings up the question of the SERK.  Is it prone to 'rear steer' any more than other bikes of a similar design?  And should I look into the ride str8 even though I have not experienced it?

Several considerations can lead to this phenomena, and I would recommend that all of the FLH series bikes be strengthened in this area. You can improve the functionality of the design and engineering.   If you are planning to retire this bike to a museum or store it some place then it is optional.  Rear steer is not limited to this model.  Rear steer can occur on a hard tail.  It is the flexion created primarily when adhesion, gravity and centrifugal force act to change the plane of axis of the rear wheel to the original(intended) plane of axis.  This "steers" the rear of the bike and unsettles the path changing the direction that it was travelling.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 05:08:50 PM by mfgreen »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 08:29:38 AM »

To me the str8 would be a better choice because you don't lose ground clerance and the plate for the tranny won't collect as much dirt and rocks as the true track with huge plate that cover the tranny.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

TB

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 09:39:14 AM »

I agree.  The Ride-Str8 looks like a much cleaner design that doesn't effect the ground clearance.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]The only downside is that the installation looks to be a little more complicated.  Also there is the issue of color matching the new swingarm bracket to the frame. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
TB

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 05:22:05 PM »

Anyone out there with recent feedback on the Ride Str8?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TB

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 11:58:50 AM »

Mounted a True-Trak on my "03 SERK last weekend.  It took about an hour to install the brackets and included straightening of the frame cross member with the tool I bought from them.  

Wow, what a difference in handling.  The bike had become somewhat vague in it's corning feel and when pushed ,seemed to wollow in the corners.  Now, the tight, precise handling that I fell in love with when I first go the bike is back again.  I would recommend product highly.

TB
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.