Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?  (Read 12194 times)

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
Re: Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 05:37:01 PM »

Yes, Panther, it is.  I saw your bike there by the service desk.  They told me they got the push rod story when they called about your bike. 

I guess we will see.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 08:33:15 PM »

Picking up the bike in the AM, dealer say he talked to the MoCo who said , yes clearance the valves, replace the pushrods and rockers. My dealer says he has done the clearancing, but does not have  the needed parts,and really wants to get HD to pay for adjustable push rods. I am not highly knowledgeable about any of these issues, therefore my post here. Any recommendations on whether to use the adjustable or not. Cost is not an issue as the dealer says no cost to mefor anything to have it running great. 

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 12:00:40 AM »

Serckus,

If your dealer is going to install them and stand behind them I would let them put them in.  I would also make sure they put it in writing that they are standing behind them.   If you feel comfortable that the wrench is a good one and that they are standing behind you for the future than I wouldn't hesitate to let them do it if it were me.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 10:57:36 PM »

Got the bike back this afternoon.  Raining, so did not get to put any miles on it.  What little, I did ride it, it definately sounds differrent.  No more metal on metal sound.  Will put some miles on this weekend, if the rain lets up a little. 

Anyone need some rain, we would be happy to pass it on too you.  You would think we lived on the coast of somewhere, it has rained every afternoon, for what seems like three months.

Panther they said your bike is next.

Let us know how it turns out.

john

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 08:35:36 AM »

Got the bike back this afternoon.  Raining, so did not get to put any miles on it.  What little, I did ride it, it definately sounds differrent.  No more metal on metal sound.  Will put some miles on this weekend, if the rain lets up a little. 

Anyone need some rain, we would be happy to pass it on too you.  You would think we lived on the coast of somewhere, it has rained every afternoon, for what seems like three months.

Panther they said your bike is next.

Let us know how it turns out.

john

John,

That's great to hear. Sure makes it a different bike.

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 10:02:17 AM »

Will do Johnnymap....I am ecstatic you can tell a difference!

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 10:08:25 AM »

Johnnymap....meant to ask you - did they clear the rocker box and put in new push rods, or did they just clear the rocker box?

Thanks.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 05:23:35 PM »

They clearanced the rocker boxes and put in new push rods.  They said HD said the wrong push rods had been put in.  Too short.

john

mandm1

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 06:24:46 PM »

Johnnymap,

Congrats on getting your bike fixed. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out. I'm curious as to the build date on your bike … I see from your past posts that you picked it up around 1/8/2007. I have a red Jester that was built sometime in May, and I am interested to know if H-D had a few bad pushrods get through sporadically, or if they corrected a running problem sometime during the build schedule.

Previously, I had a red '07 S.E. Road King (built 10/2006), which I traded back to the dealer recently (he treated me fairly) because of very excessive top end and primary noise. I had the rocker boxes clearanced and a factory rep looked at it two separate times, but the only results were "They all sound that way -- just ride it and don't worry !!" NOT  :o

My Jester sounds much better, but still has a little noise up top, so I am just curious.

Thanks,
Mike

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »

Mike, it was built in Dec '06.  This motor was very noisy on the top end from the time I got.  It is a Harley and does have some noise in that area.  I told the sales guy about and I figured at the 1000 service when I put Amsoil in it, it would quite down.  It actually got worse.  The tech put on the work order, that next time it was in, we should try putting Syn3 back in the prmary.  I don't think he rode it or let it get hot. The bike has some primary and transmission noise, but I had not said anything about those noises.  From what I had read here, these noises on the 07's seems to be "normal".  There is an article in American Iron mag this month, about the reasons the HD six speed is noisy.  That is a whole other issue, that I would be will be addressed in the near future.  When the noise police hears enough about it, HD will have to do something.

When I took it in to have it dynoed, I complained about the noise again.  He rode it to get it hot before dynoing it and heard the noise.  He called me and said he heard the noise and what did I think it was.  I told him what I thought and he agreed.  He said he had built a couple 113's and had to do the same thing.  But at this time, he did not mention the push rods.  Only after they called for an authorization number, did HD tell them about the push rods.

Maybe if it ever stops raining, we have had 9 inches this month, three times the normal, I will be able to ride it to see if it is really fixed.

Glad your  bike seems to be okay.  The comment from your dealer that the top end noise is normal is BS.  There is normal Harley noise, but the noise that some of us are hearing is way not normal.

john

mandm1

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »

Thanks, Johnnymap for the tip on the American Iron article. Hope the rain subsides for you soon (we could use a bit of rain here in Iowa ... showers only - not T-storms again, please!)

I agree that the noise some are hearing on the 110's is certainly not normal. Interesting about HD only stating wrong pushrods being installed when a repair order is submitted. I wonder if they can track a time period by VIN during which an incorrect batch was installed; or if they just go on a case-by-case basis?

Thanks Again,
Mike

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:27 PM »

Gentlemen....searched through the forum and found this thread. I also have this top end noise, 08SERK. Sounds like my 72 LT-1 Corvette with solid lifters...lol.  Seems MoCo has not addressed this issue. I also asked the dealership,(after after a few days running...) tech rode the bike. He reported, normal gezzzzzzz! Anyone else had their boxes machined? What a great site!!!  Muddy
Save The Wave...

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 11:51:01 PM »

Gentlemen....searched through the forum and found this thread. I also have this top end noise, 08SERK. Sounds like my 72 LT-1 Corvette with solid lifters...lol.  Seems MoCo has not addressed this issue. I also asked the dealership,(after after a few days running...) tech rode the bike. He reported, normal gezzzzzzz! Anyone else had their boxes machined? What a great site!!!  Muddy

Muddy,
My 08 SEUC has had the top-end noise since it was new.  Had it back to the dealer where I bought it twice and to an other dealer for a gasket leak.  Both of the dealers said it is normal for the 110.... I know better >:(

I will be taking my bike in for the head replacement soon.  Already talked to another dealer 90 miles away.  The service manager knew exactly what I was talking about and said "no problem, fixed several with the same noise".  So I'm looking forward to getting it in to quiet it down.

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
Do you RAT-a-Tap-Tap-Tap
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »

I did a search and came up with the following thread  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12405.0 I replied to the thread, but I suppose...due to it's date, would not come to surface. Having said that... I also have the same issue but, with an 08 SERK. Seems MoCo did not fix the issue since 07 ummmm. Q. Are all 110 engines having this issue? And if so, were all rockers machined? I also read were the 07's (some engines) were fitted with the wrong length of pushrods... Question again...why would an 08 engine still be fitted with these wrong pushrods? In regards to another thread...in reference to MoCo letter, regarding (Program 0906)...in which I also received this letter...seems it would be advisable to have my rockerbox machined at the same time, that is...right after they fix my locked fork issue...gezzzzzzz! Please advise. BTW I was informed today...that the damage to the RK (due to the fork issue) would be just over 3K!! Muddy The thread in regards to the fork issue is here http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26516.0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:09:29 AM by Muddywaters »
Save The Wave...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Do you RAT-a-Tap-Tap-Tap
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »

I did a search and came up with the following thread  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12405.0 I replied to the thread, but I suppose...due to it's date, would not come to surface. Having said that... I also have the same issue but, with an 08 SERK. Seems MoCo did not fix the issue since 07 ummmm. Q. Are all 110 engines having this issue? And if so, were all rockers machined? I also read were the 07's (some engines) were fitted with the wrong length of pushrods... Question again...why would an 08 engine still be fitted with these wrong pushrods? In regards to another thread...in reference to MoCo letter, regarding (Program 0906)...in which I also received this letter...seems it would be advisable to have my rockerbox machined at the same time, that is...right after they fix my locked fork issue...gezzzzzzz! Please advise. BTW I was informed today...that the damage to the RK (due to the fork issue) would be just over 3K!! Muddy The thread in regards to the fork issue is here http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26516.0
Muddywaters,
No need to start a new thread when one is already existing about the subject. Having one thread w/all the information together is much easier to follow. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.