Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation  (Read 31680 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2007, 06:10:09 PM »

Lookin' good, Gary.  The heat shrink idea never occured to me, but is indeed a better mousetrap.  The Flames look cool... :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »

NICE Gary!  :2vrolijk_21: Perfect for your bike.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »

Lookin' good, Gary.  The heat shrink idea never occured to me, but is indeed a better mousetrap.  The Flames look cool... :2vrolijk_21:
Thanks I can't take credit for the heat shrink. Twolane mentioned it when he saw the "naked" plug. I hadn't gotten around to getting the silicone that you had told me about and he mentioned the heat shrink. Thought it was a great idea to keep water out and also reduce movement in the wires around the plug. I actually used two different sizes of heat shrink so I could fit it around the boot of the plug, and then a smaller piece further up so it would completely close off. We'll see how it does when it gets wet.

NICE Gary!  :2vrolijk_21: Perfect for your bike.

Bob
Thanks. When I first saw the Zumo w/the flame caps I knew when I did get one I would have to have them. One day I'll have to check myself into rehab for my chrome/orange & black obsession. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »

Thanks I can't take credit for the heat shrink. Twolane mentioned it when he saw the "naked" plug. I hadn't gotten around to getting the silicone that you had told me about and he mentioned the heat shrink. Thought it was a great idea to keep water out and also reduce movement in the wires around the plug. I actually used two different sizes of heat shrink so I could fit it around the boot of the plug, and then a smaller piece further up so it would completely close off. We'll see how it does when it gets wet.
Thanks. When I first saw the Zumo w/the flame caps I knew when I did get one I would have to have them. One day I'll have to check myself into rehab for my chrome/orange & black obsession. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That should do the trick for the water, Gary.  It kind of sits tucked up under the inner fariing anyway, so any water would pretty much run down the cord and that looks sealed enough to me.  We probably ought to have a "drip leg"... ;)  Mostly it'll keep the wires from wiggling inside there which is a good thing.

I've done some counseling, so just give me a call......I charge in Chrome though, so who's sicker? ;D ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »

That should do the trick for the water, Gary.  It kind of sits tucked up under the inner fariing anyway, so any water would pretty much run down the cord and that looks sealed enough to me.  We probably ought to have a "drip leg"... ;)  Mostly it'll keep the wires from wiggling inside there which is a good thing.

I've done some counseling, so just give me a call......I charge in Chrome though, so who's sicker? ;D ;D
Hmmm, between the two of us it might be cheaper if I keep this obsession. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »

So..... do those caps come with BLUE Smurf flames????

Also, with this mount set up I see you still have to plug into the cig lighter? I thought that mount came with the option to hard wire? Sorry if this is already up there somewhere, I tried to find something on it by "Skimming"....... I'm so impatient.... :huepfenlol2:

One last thing, what does the mount look like when the GPS is not on without the cradle? Is it easy to take it down that far or not?

Thanks again!!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »

So..... do those caps come with BLUE Smurf flames????

Also, with this mount set up I see you still have to plug into the cig lighter? I thought that mount came with the option to hard wire? Sorry if this is already up there somewhere, I tried to find something on it by "Skimming"....... I'm so impatient.... :huepfenlol2:

One last thing, what does the mount look like when the GPS is not on without the cradle? Is it easy to take it down that far or not?

Thanks again!!!
No smurf blue flames, sorry. Below are your options.

You can hard wire with this mount. I/some of use just chose to use the cigarette lighter plug. I have had "incidents" with wiring stuff myself and didn't want to be riding down the road and all of a sudden have smoke coming from inside my fairing. :oops:

To remove the cradle would require you removing the four bolts that hold the motorcycle cradle to the mount. If it were me and I was using the Zumo on two bikes I would just purchase an extra motorcycle mount cradle from Garmin, extra motorcycle power cord, two Techmount's, and either use the cigarette lighter option or hard wire what ever you feel comfortable with.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2007, 09:58:47 AM »

No smurf blue flames, sorry. Below are your options.

You can hard wire with this mount. I/some of use just chose to use the cigarette lighter plug. I have had "incidents" with wiring stuff myself and didn't want to be riding down the road and all of a sudden have smoke coming from inside my fairing. :oops:

To remove the cradle would require you removing the four bolts that hold the motorcycle cradle to the mount. If it were me and I was using the Zumo on two bikes I would just purchase an extra motorcycle mount cradle from Garmin, extra motorcycle power cord, two Techmount's, and either use the cigarette lighter option or hard wire what ever you feel comfortable with.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

You OCD guys are killing me.......................... ;) :drink:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2007, 10:52:47 AM »

You OCD guys are killing me.......................... ;) :drink:
LOL!!! You know it's a hard job but somebody has to do it. ;) Seriously tho think of it this way. You walk out to the garage one day w/your Zumo in hand and haven't decided which bike you want to ride? One of them you have to mount a cradle back on, the other you just pop the Zumo in the cradle and go which one are you probably going to ride if you don't feel like pulling out some wrenches? What I'm suggesting will give you the ability to use both at a moments notice w/the features/accessories you have become accustomed to. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2007, 11:08:55 AM »

My Deuce has yet to have a GPS mounted to it...........don't plan on it either.....but I have never taken it out of New England.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2007, 07:08:53 PM »

I've had my Zumo for about a week now, and been trying to learn how to use it before installing.

..... I also opted for the 1 meter audio cord that Phil mentioned above and it will work to run thru the clutch cable and out the other side of fairing but there is no extra cable and you have to make sure you go the shortest distance. In other words it took me a couple times before I got it right and felt comfortable w/it not being to tight. I think knowing what I know now I would have paid the extra $$'s and got the two meter cable, and just wire tied the extra inside the fairing. I had thought about hard wiring into the cigarette lighter inside the fairing but opted to take the easy way out, and used the plug from Radio Shack.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

d00d,

Isn't there a way to run the audio to an aux port inside the fairing?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2007, 08:00:05 PM »

d00d,

Isn't there a way to run the audio to an aux port inside the fairing?
You can if you follow the procedure outlined in this thread - "How To" Aux Input Jack Moved to Back of Radio (noticed that some of the posts may be missing some information due to the software transition look on old board here - "How To" Aux Input Jack Moved to Back of Radio). Stock the radio doesn't come w/an "aux" plug in the rear.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »

You can if you follow the procedure outlined in this thread - "How To" Aux Input Jack Moved to Back of Radio (noticed that some of the posts may be missing some information due to the software transition look on old board here - "How To" Aux Input Jack Moved to Back of Radio). Stock the radio doesn't come w/an "aux" plug in the rear.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Okay. I weenied out and went with the cig lighter plug. Question: does the power cord HAVE to have those two little black screws in order to ground out? I cannot seem to find mine (were not in the box) and I have used an Ericson phone charger cord for the power but the power is not making it to the GPS unit. I checked the wires with a test light and there is power from the plug.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »

Okay. I weenied out and went with the cig lighter plug. Question: does the power cord HAVE to have those two little black screws in order to ground out? I cannot seem to find mine (were not in the box) and I have used an Ericson phone charger cord for the power but the power is not making it to the GPS unit. I checked the wires with a test light and there is power from the plug.
When you speak of the two little black screws are you referring to the ones that attach the power cord to the mount? If so I wouldn't think that would make "power" connection problem. I think they are mainly for securing and keeping water out. Make sure you check all your bags that came w/the Zumo if I remember correctly they weren't in the bag I thought they would be in.

About the power plug you may be experiencing the same problem I had when I first installed mines. I hadn't stripped the wires back good enough to make a connection inside the lighter. The light on the plug was indicating it was getting power, but my Zumo was operating on battery power. I couldn't get my MP3's to play and thought I had a bad audio cable. Put the Zumo in the car mount and could hear all MP3's and audio alerts/directions from Zumo. I then peeled some more insulation from the power cord and inserted them again into the cig. lighter power plug and I had power to the mount. Also if you haven't already replace the 7.5 amp fuse w/the one that came in the Zumo power cord. I believe it's 2.0 amps.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 08:42:35 PM »

d00d,

The power cord I have is from an old cell phone car charger. I cut it and the power cord to the Zumo and spliced them together. The Zumo indicated that it was still running on battery power (yes, yes... with the ignition turned on  ;)). So I disconneced the Zumo from the 12v plug/wires and used a test light to check for power. The light on the plug and the light on the test light indicate I am getting power from the cig lighter. So I thought maybe i wasn't geting a good connection by twisting the wires from the plug to the Zumo (as a check beofre soldering) so I went ahead and soldered the wires together after my post and still no power. :( :-\ Friggin agravating.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.