Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation  (Read 31693 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2007, 08:50:20 PM »

Rob,
The pins on the mount where the Zumo sits in are spring loaded. Run your fingers across them to make sure none are stuck down/sticking. If everything checks out that you're getting power then it sounds like there might be something w/the mount. :nixweiss: You can (I'm sure you already have) check the power cord connection that plugs in mount to make sure all those needles are straight. Also another way of verifying it's a mount problem and not a Zumo problem is trying the car mount in your car to see if the battery light (on Zumo) goes out then when plugged into cig. lighter.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2007, 09:06:13 PM »

Rob,
The pins on the mount where the Zumo sits in are spring loaded. Run your fingers across them to make sure none are stuck down/sticking. If everything checks out that you're getting power then it sounds like there might be something w/the mount. :nixweiss: You can (I'm sure you already have) check the power cord connection that plugs in mount to make sure all those needles are straight. Also another way of verifying it's a mount problem and not a Zumo problem is trying the car mount in your car to see if the battery light (on Zumo) goes out then when plugged into cig. lighter. :pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I used the car mount on the bike all weekend and it charged and played MP3's fine. The thing popped loose three times due to the heat we had here I guess as it never did before so I decided I better take your advice and get the 2 mounts (one for each bike). One thought I had. The car charger plug I am trying to use doesn't seem to screw apart at the end like most. Maybe there isn't a fuse in there at all and the Zumo is picking up on this??

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2007, 09:10:24 PM »

I used the car mount on the bike all weekend and it charged and played MP3's fine. The thing popped loose three times due to the heat we had here I guess as it never did before so I decided I better take your advice and get the 2 mounts (one for each bike). One thought I had. The car charger plug I am trying to use doesn't seem to screw apart at the end like most. Maybe there isn't a fuse in there at all and the Zumo is picking up on this??
Could be a possibility. :nixweiss: The Radio Shack plug is only $4.99 in the big scheme of things a small price to pay if the plug is the problem.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2007, 09:20:41 PM »

Could be a possibility. :nixweiss: The Radio Shack plug is only $4.99 in the big scheme of things a small price to pay if the plug is the problem.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I think I will try that tomorrow. By the way you were describing it, sounds like you open the plug up and install the wires from the Zumo stright into the plug?

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2007, 09:22:39 PM »

I think I will try that tomorrow. By the way you were describing it, sounds like you open the plug up and install the wires from the Zumo stright into the plug?

Holy plugs batman............... check this out!!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2160346&cp=&sr=1&origkw=12+v+plug&kw=12+v+plug&parentPage=search

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2007, 09:26:10 PM »

Doesn't say it will work with the Zumo, but that sure looks like the same plug on the end there doesn't it? Maybe a little too big and no screw holes to tie it down with.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2007, 09:30:22 PM »

The plug has two pins you push down and the wires slide in. You don't have to take the plug apart to insert wires.

Holy plugs batman............... check this out!!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2160346&cp=&sr=1&origkw=12+v+plug&kw=12+v+plug&parentPage=search
The only problem I see w/that one is you still have a lot of cord left over. With making your own you're using existing cord, custom cutting it to length needed, and saving a few coins in the process. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2007, 09:33:18 PM »

Doesn't say it will work with the Zumo, but that sure looks like the same plug on the end there doesn't it? Maybe a little too big and no screw holes to tie it down with.
It does look the same, but just w/o the screw holes to secure it. Speaking of those screws if you're unable to find yours you should give Garmin a call I bet they would send you a couple more. Not sure if they are a big deal, but it would appear they might keep the plug water tight/resistant. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2007, 09:35:38 PM »

It does look the same, but just w/o the screw holes to secure it. Speaking of those screws if you're unable to find yours you should give Garmin a call I bet they would send you a couple more. Not sure if they are a big deal, but it would appear they might keep the plug water tight/resistant. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Good idea. I will go to Radio shack tomorrow for the $5 plug. Good point on all the cord left over.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2007, 09:26:39 AM »

Hello all, I am considering a portable gps nav. unit.  One that I can use in the car (or bike rental) and mounted on the bike (must have the 1.25" mount).  I noticed hogheritage04 mounted his unit on the right handle bar (I also have the Radar detector). Would the Zumo 550 be a good choice on the bike and off?  How is the ease of use?  My other consideration was the TomTom One to have in my pocket.  Thanks all!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »

The installs look great guys but my problem with the installed gps, there is no voice to the headsets right
If you can get the mounted gps to give voice commands to the headsets I am all for it.
You don't need to be looking down all the time getting info. about where you are going. Right?
I have been using gps for over 20 years in aircraft and I still do not like looking down for the info.
Heads up guys its your only defence against the bad guys
SLASH

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »

Hello all, I am considering a portable gps nav. unit.  One that I can use in the car (or bike rental) and mounted on the bike (must have the 1.25" mount).  I noticed hogheritage04 mounted his unit on the right handle bar (I also have the Radar detector). Would the Zumo 550 be a good choice on the bike and off?  How is the ease of use?  My other consideration was the TomTom One to have in my pocket.  Thanks all!
I think the Zumo 550 would be an excellent choice for you as it will come w/motorcycle and car mounts. The only thing that concerns me about how you want to use it is on bike rentals. Because of mounting considerations I think you might have a problem w/any GPS system. I have yet to see any portable, quick install for them (not to say they aren't out there), the fact that some come with internal battery power it is limited amount of time it will last, and if you wanted to use the bikes power supply if it doesn't have a cig. lighter would require some (semi) hard wiring. Along w/that some of the features aren't available when it's on battery power.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2007, 10:41:29 AM »

The installs look great guys but my problem with the installed gps, there is no voice to the headsets right
If you can get the mounted gps to give voice commands to the headsets I am all for it.
You don't need to be looking down all the time getting info. about where you are going. Right?
I have been using gps for over 20 years in aircraft and I still do not like looking down for the info.
Heads up guys its your only defence against the bad guys
With the Zumo 550 using the Bluetooth technology and using a bluetooth headset/microphone you would be able to hear GPS commands in your helmet and use a Bluetooth enabled phone when all were paired w/the Zumo.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »

can you still use the cb with the bluetooth headset
SLASH

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2007, 12:40:17 PM »

can you still use the cb with the bluetooth headset
I doubt that you would, but that reminded me there is (can't remember who it was) a company that sells a product/interface where you can intergrate all these together and if you have cb/intercom existing on your bike they will all work.

:oops: When I answered about the Bluetooth application in my previous post I was speaking from someone that doesn't have that technology (CB/Intercom) on his bike. Sorry for the confusion.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.