Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation  (Read 31659 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2007, 03:42:37 PM »

d00d,

New challenge. I bought the plug at Radio Shack and it works fine now with tht cradle (ol plug was for cell phone and was not putting out 12v). My new challenge: I bought a new 2GB cardSD PNY. I installed it in the Zumo. Then I drag and drop from my music folder to the card itself (shows as drive F on mine). After 123 songs it won't take anymore and there is only 590MB used so far on the card.  "Cannot Copy:the directory or file cannot be created" is what the pop up reads. I checked the properties of the songs and they are MP3 format as they are supposed to be. Any thoughts?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2007, 04:15:40 PM »

Rob,
Create a folder on the SD card called "MP3's" or whatever you choose to call it (note: only make one folder don't try to separate music into a bunch of folders though). Then place all your MP3's in that folder and see if you can add more. I think the problem may be that you have to many files in the root directory of that card. Let me know if this works.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2007, 06:41:33 PM »

Rob,
Create a folder on the SD card called "MP3's" or whatever you choose to call it (note: only make one folder don't try to separate music into a bunch of folders though). Then place all your MP3's in that folder and see if you can add more. I think the problem may be that you have to many files in the root directory of that card. Let me know if this works.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

:huepfenjump3:  As usual.................... it worked!! Downloading and over 400 so far. Thank you very much...... once again!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »

:huepfenjump3:  As usual.................... it worked!! Downloading and over 400 so far. Thank you very much...... once again!!
Great, glad to hear it took care of the problem. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »

Might have found a slighty better mousetrap for the cigarette lighter plug.  The radio shack one I got lasted for almost a year, but I think the little push pin connections finally bit the dust....showed power to the LED but would not run the GPS, so voltage was probably dropping across the connection.

Anyway, saw this one from West Marine and ordered a couple (one for a spare).  It's waterproof, has LED, screw type connections, a clamp to hold the wire in place so it won't stress at the connections.  The little rubber ring you see with the ridges, makes it seal to the female part of he cig plug outlet.

Gary...do you still have that link I sent you?  Can't find it at the moment...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2007, 08:11:14 PM »

Here it is taken apart...rubber ring, in-line fuse, screw in tip.  Also shows how the little crossmember holds the cord to keep the stress off the connections.

I would recommend "tinning" the wires before installing them on the terminals.

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2007, 09:11:41 PM »

Gary...do you still have that link I sent you?  Can't find it at the moment...
Sure do here it is - 12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (plug only).

While I was searching for the part Terry mentioned I also found another one that requires a 90 degree turn to release it out of the plug - Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (plug only).

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2007, 10:10:19 PM »

TCnBham,

Spew!!!

I bet your mom threw a fit when you took apart the TV and other stuff to see how it worked!!!

Mark

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2007, 11:16:31 PM »

TCnBham,

Spew!!!

I bet your mom threw a fit when you took apart the TV and other stuff to see how it worked!!!

Mark

;D ;D :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

paul65k

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »

Hello all, I am considering a portable GPS NAV. unit.  One that I can use in the car (or bike rental) and mounted on the bike (must have the 1.25" mount).  I noticed hogheritage04 mounted his unit on the right handle bar (I also have the Radar detector). Would the Zumo 550 be a good choice on the bike and off?  How is the ease of use?  My other consideration was the TomTom One to have in my pocket.  Thanks all!

So I have the Zumo 550 and have used it in a number of different configurations:

I have it hard wired onto my 03 RK Classic through the AUX switch and this works great. I have also used it in a car with the supplied auto mount and it also works great. One of the things I like most about the unit is the Bluetooth interface. I use my Plantronics 650e ear bud which works perfectly and provides turn by turn directions....the ear bud is really "Stealth", loud and even works with my 1/2 helmet without the curtain attached.

Additionally the "Auto" mount can be adapted for other temporary applications on other motorcycles. I just returned from a 2 week "Fly and Ride" in Germany, France, Spain, Monaco, Italy and Switzerland on an 07 Ultra Classic and used the factory suction cup mount on the windshield of the bike along with the factory cig adapter and it worked great....with the Europe SD card installed (which BTW also works in my Nuvi for other travel to Europe). The Bluetooth was a life save as you can't (or at least shouldn't be) looking at the unit all the time. With about 300 "Roundabouts" under my belt and 10 or so hotel searchouts I can say unequivocally that the Zumo 550 is absolutely a PERFECT motorcycle application....especially with the bluetooth earbud for driving directions.

It is a bit big but the factory suction cup mount allowed the unit to be where I needed it to be and not once during the 2000 miles of driving did the suction cup separate from the windshield of the Ultra.....it certainly vibrated especially at idle but stayed put....only issue was that the swivel/ball mechanism was a but loose after the first 3 or 4 days.....which was easily remedied by a quick shot of the wife's Hair Spray into the back....then it was good as new!

I do not know how I could have possibly made it through such unfamiliar country and unfamiliar signage without the GPS....it certainly allowed us to concentrate on the beauty of the trip and not worry about the navigation. It also allowed us to think in MPH as well as KPH at the same time for our North America centric thinking ;D. The ability to quickly find gas stations as well as places to eat should also not be underestimated.....not to mention that we took the unit with us at night when walking through the towns and were looking for restaurants on foot as well....all in all the PERFECT motorcycle application :huepfenjump3:

Cheers!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2007, 10:06:29 AM »

Additionally the "Auto" mount can be adapted for other temporary applications on other motorcycles. I just returned from a 2 week "Fly and Ride" in Germany, France, Spain, Monaco, Italy and Switzerland on an 07 Ultra Classic and used the factory suction cup mount on the windshield of the bike along with the factory cig adapter and it worked great....with the Europe SD card installed (which BTW also works in my Nuvi for other travel to Europe). The Bluetooth was a life save as you can't (or at least shouldn't be) looking at the unit all the time. With about 300 "Roundabouts" under my belt and 10 or so hotel searchouts I can say unequivocally that the Zumo 550 is absolutely a PERFECT motorcycle application....especially with the bluetooth earbud for driving directions.

Cheers!
Did you run into any rain while using the auto mount on the bike? I've gotten information from Garmin that they aren't waterproof and not to use them in environments where they would be subjected to moisture.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

paul65k

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2007, 10:17:53 AM »

Did you run into any rain while using the auto mount on the bike? I've gotten information from Garmin that they aren't waterproof and not to use them in environments where they would be subjected to moisture.

Interesting....good news is that we had a grand total of 10 minutes rain during our 2 weeks so that;s the good news....the bad news is that I HAVE ridden with this unit in the rain during my normal treks on the RK....with no issues.

According to the Garmin website the unit is IPX7 which is described as: "waterproof to withstand immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes" so I am perplexed with the Garmin comments regarding waterproof......at least if they state it IS waterproof and you do have issues they should cover it under warranty. 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2007, 10:28:14 AM »

Interesting....good news is that we had a grand total of 10 minutes rain during our 2 weeks so that;s the good news....the bad news is that I HAVE ridden with this unit in the rain during my normal treks on the RK....with no issues.

According to the Garmin website the unit is IPX7 which is described as: "waterproof to withstand immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes" so I am perplexed with the Garmin comments regarding waterproof......at least if they state it IS waterproof and you do have issues they should cover it under warranty. 8)
Those standards apply to the unit and motorcycle mount not the auto mount. With there being a speaker and not having covers/rubber boots on the plugs as the motorcycle mount had made me wonder about it being waterproof and led me to inquire about the auto mount. When I did w/Garmin they informed me that it (auto mount) wasn't waterproof.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:36:45 AM by Fired00d »
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

paul65k

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »

Interesting.....but I would say that if used behind a dresser windshield with the unit being WP.....I would think that you would be unlikely to have any issues.....just my .02

ezrider

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »

The forum here: http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/  is dedicated to the Zumo and has very comprehensive information on every aspect of the Zumo

There is a very thorough and complete FLHT/Zumo Installation Guide here: http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=226
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 04:24:49 PM by ezrider »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.