Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble?  (Read 23096 times)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: High Speed Wobble?
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2005, 10:34:25 PM »

Just noticed the recent posts about High Speed Wobbles. I just went through a Doozzy  (sp) one Monday North of Medford, Orego. I think the area is Canyon View, we were on a trip from Phoenix were I picked up my 03 Road Glide that SBC worked on runs great. We went to LA North up PCH then into Oregon.

Anyway, me a couple of friends were really pounding on it throught some nice curves at about 110 - 120 mph, we saw some rain up ahead, started to pour by that time we were down to about 70. Their was a section of new Asphalt with new White Line Lane Markers. Tried to change lanes and miss new lines. Front wheel drove over one rather than in between. Front wheel slipped sideways what a ride that turned out to be, bile was going from side to side handle bars were slapping, trying desperately to get back in control, almost made it, but could not get bike straight, and by this I was thinking this is really going to hurt. Bike went down on the right side with me still holding on to handle bars, thank god for engine (crash) guards, as it was sliding down the highway, I let go did one or two tumbles, then slid down the highway on my back with legs forward and my hands raised above my head as have seen the GS Racers do, slid to a halt jumped to my feet and ran like "H" to get off of the road. All the while watching my bike do a cart wheel end over end. Thank God for Leather Pants and Reima (Cycloak) Jacket. Clunky boots. No injuries, head (had helmet) did not pavement.

I am not blaming the bike for the wobbles, it was simply the wrong place at the wrong time, and/or driver error. I have driven over same type paint line thoudands of time over the last 30 years of riding and this is the first time this has ever happened to me, scared the chit out of me.

Bike another matter, Inner & Outer Fairing busted up patched up with duct tape, Windshiled oblitarated, Saddlebags and Tour Pack cracked etc. All can be fixed. Gathered wits together and rode on, put over 1,000 mile on the bike to get it home, will be talking with insurance company tommorrow.

Schrader if you read this how long to get 03 Gunmetal Blue Painted parts, that will be the longest delivery items to get.

Sorry for rambling, but I am one lucky guy, I must have an Angel on my shoulder looking after me.

geezerglide

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2005, 10:46:41 PM »

Geezerglide, just read your post...........sorry 'bout your 'going down'.....really glad you came through it pretty  much unscathed.  The bike can be fixed a lot easier and cheaper than you, believe me.  One question, were you in a curve when you slipped on the white line paint?  How much water was standing on the asphalt?  Scary, but chit happens.   [smiley=angel.gif]  Glad you weren't riding faster than your angle can fly.    [smiley=angel.gif] [smiley=wings.gif].........spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2005, 10:48:01 PM »

OK geezerglide. You are one of those old sages I have been looking up to and this happened to you! I am so very sorry and a lot of scared too!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 10:48:48 PM by Mrs._WeCVO »

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2005, 10:49:03 PM »

Geezerglide

Glad your here!!!!!!!!

Just like Lugnuts adventure on the Dragon. Bikes a little messed up but just glad the body is fine.

Good luck on the repairs!

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2005, 10:55:39 PM »

Geezer that was real bad luck but . but glad your ok. I will call Shrader and tell
him to look at this.
                                              Otis
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2005, 10:57:53 PM »

Geezer I am so glad that you were able to ride the bike home instead of taking an ambulance ride.  I also noticed that you admit to driver error......that takes a hell of a man cause most will not admit it.  I continue to have a lot of respect for you Geezer and I'm glad it's the bike instead of you.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2005, 11:04:11 PM »

Wow, Geezer, sounds like quite a ride!  Glad you're OK and here to tell the story!  It's unbelievable that you were able to get back on and continue riding after that!  Best of luck in getting the bike repaired quickly and getting satisfaction from the insurance company.  Keep us posted and get back in the wind soon!

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2005, 11:24:44 PM »

You guys all missed the point.  I don't care what you do for a living, what you ride or where you ride.  What got my hair standing up was some numb-nuts making comments like since when is 85-100 high speed.... yeah striker stay on the subject.  I'm pointing out that it is all relative.  I have put a bike into a wobble at 45 mph under the wrong conditions.  ie a reverse camber curve with wash board roadsnakes.  Or running at 75 in a curve and hitting a series of expansion joints.  It doesn't matter what causes it as long as you can understand it.  I've logged well over 300,000 miles, and this is my second new bike.  So I know that trying to get too technical can cause you to lose site of the fact that you have 120 horses on two wheels between your legs and it ain't your daddy's oldsmobile.  
But for some of you to think that you can't experience the same issues at various speeds is a fall waiting to happen.  If my new seeg starts to wobble after checking everything out that I said before, the dealer will have it on their doorstep.  My bet is it won't, and the story about the tourpack causing the problem makes sense.  So off it comes.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2005, 11:33:20 PM »

Now for point #2.  I find all kinds of people on a bike, just like life.  If we don't hit it off we go our own ways.  I am sure there are alot of great people involved with CVO's, but the bottom line it is still just a toy.  We don't need a $35k motorcycle, we have just been lucky enough to be able to get it if that is what we desire.  Be thankful that we see the people keep posting on this site, cause there could be a chance that when they stop it is because they went down and didn't make it back up.  My jacket has way too many "In memory of" patches, and if I get a chance to meet any of you I don't want to think about adding any more.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
"Man what a ride!"

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2005, 11:59:42 PM »

Hear yea hear yea, Striker, the wiggle will strike when you're least expecting if you don't understand what causes it on your particular bike.  I road raced factory Ducati 996's for a few years over in Britain, and even they would give you the snake now and then when you torqued the frame up.  Worst I ever had threw me at around 160 down in Sandington, and left me sliding for close to a quarter mile.  (Thank god for race grade leathers... eh?)  

I think the real secret to survival is to approach the edges of where you will ride in the worst cases gently and see what your machine will do and what you are cappable of. And always ride to learn, and learn from the ride.   These CVO's we ride are very nice bikes, but they are in no way comparable to a high performance machine, therefore we need to ride within the range of what the bike can do and what we as riders are capable of controlling, and all the while stay aware that even when you're paying very close attention, something may in fact sneak up and bite ya in the butt!
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2005, 01:15:38 AM »

Spyglide,

No, it was not on a curve, they were behind us. It was half way up a gradual rise in elevation on a three lane highway. I was accelerating however not at a rapid rate, when I crossed the White Line and the front wheel lost traction causing all sorts of fun.

It had stopped raining and the water had started to run off to the shoulders and downhill, the road had been recently asphalted and lines painted. When of my buddies actually slipped on the Yellow Line as we were pushing the bike over to the shoulder.

If some one could develop a White or Yellow Line Paint that had abrasive particulates similar to covering on metal flooring and stairs on drill rigs they woud make a fortune.

Everyone I appreciate your good wishes, I am going to take some pictures of the bike and when I figure how to attach them, I will include. Plus the Dyno Numbers of the engine build.

geezerglide

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2005, 11:32:25 AM »

Geez

Glad to hear you're OK.  I'm interested in seeing your Dyno charts.  Didn't you get SBC to modify your heads, change cams , etc.  I'm heading to the Southwest in 3 weeks or so and may stop in to to chat with those folks about the same mods you had.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2005, 11:55:41 AM »

You guys all missed the point.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2005, 11:57:47 AM »

DDL,

Thanks, we were not to far from Yakima, we come up through Wasington at Omapatill (sp) to Spokane and then Bonners Ferry.

Yes SBC (Charlie) did the heads and Frank (HIPPO) reaseembled the engine with a S&S 585, everything else stock, Dyno Runs were best at 109 HP & Max torque 117 lb. ft. Still have some tweaking to do with HD Race Tuner. Will post Dyno in that section. Have scanned into documents, as soon as I find out how to attach to this site, will do so.

Thanks again,

geezerglide

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2005, 03:31:56 PM »

Like I said, ya just don't get it.  But that's OK, like I said, riding is like life, ya just gotta let some people pass ya by.  I am not sure what the point is of braggin ya been down a few times, I know it happens, but I can say that I learned alot from my one and only air lift by a car doing 45 hit me head on.  Can't say I am lookin forward to the next time.
It's not a pissin' contest, why is it that so many guys throw a leg over a Harley and the testostrone starts to elevate???? Been offerred to propect several times, but kept independant just for that reason.  Can't we just all get along??? [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
By the way, we don't make fun of you guys in WV out here, no matter how funny ya talk.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
"Man what a ride!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.