Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Riding in Mexico  (Read 3532 times)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
Riding in Mexico
« on: April 22, 2007, 07:32:54 PM »

Does anyone have some comments/suggestions about riding (dealer rental) in Mexico?  I am renting a bike in Tucson this summer and might venture into Mexico via Nogalas (sp). Thanks
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: Riding in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »

Take your passport and make sure your cell telephone company has you on a Mexico plan during that time.

Oh and it wouldn't hurt to ride with a few friends maybe football type size guys

No seriously it should be a fun time but know you are in a different country with different laws

jeffj

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »

Where are you renting the bike from? All of the dealers in Tuscon & Phoenix I talked to won't let you take their bikes into Mexico - trust me, I tried. I found out that Eaglerider (eaglerider.com) will, but make sure all your paerwork (rental contract, Mexican insurance etc) is in order. You'll need to get a vehicle entry permit, Mexican insurance & a tourist entry permit. I got refused entry because the name on my rental contract didn't match my ID (Steve vs Stephen). You also need an ORIGINAL letter from the rental outlet stating that you're allowed to take the vehicle into Mexico. Talked to a few Americans while dealing w/ this & since Jan the Mexican authorities are VERY reluctant to let rental vehicles into the country.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:02:23 PM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

cigarmike

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »

There are places in Mexico, that even the mexicans are scared to go. Be carefull, A good friend of mine went with 2 other riders , they were  robbed of their bikes, belongings, and money. Then arrested and the families had to pay a lot of 'bail' money to get them out of jail. they never were told what exactly they were arrested for. This happened quite a few years ago, i want to say about 12 yrs. I'll ask my firiend next time i talk to him, exactly where in mexico this happened. But, you can cross me off any Mexico road trips after knowing what can happen. And my friends are maybe not football players, but they are not someone most people would want to fight in a rough bar either. Good Luck.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:59:28 PM »

Just go east on i-10 thru NM to El Paso, TX ---  It's just like going to Mexico.   :D

Mark

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 06:12:19 PM »

Does anyone have some comments/suggestions about riding (dealer rental) in Mexico?  I am renting a bike in Tucson this summer and might venture into Mexico via Nogalas (sp). Thanks

YEA................. DONT DRINK THE WATER AND DONT GO. :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 07:17:58 PM »

Hey! roadrunner
         Better idea! when you rent the bike head to Sedona Ariz. North of Phoenix it's got to be the prettiest area I've ever been to! :2vrolijk_21: Then to Grand Canyon. Just riding around Tucson and you'll feel like your in Mexico.  :huepfenlol2:

Don.............

cigarmike

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »

Just go east on i-10 thru NM to El Paso, TX ---  It's just like going to Mexico.   :D

Mark

or any Home Depot parking lot.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 08:20:12 PM »

O yuck is what I say to Nogales. Unless motorcycle rentals are different than cars, you cannot rent in the US and drive in Mexico. Guess you'll have to bring you're own bike out here If you really want to see Mexico, ride down the Baja Pennisula coast from TJ to Cabo  It's about 900 miles. Once you're below TJ it's gorgeous and relatively safe.

B B

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 05:57:20 AM »

Thanks all for the info, it may not be an issue since I am renting the bike from Tucson HD.  Last year I rented a bike from Las Vegas HD and they asked if I would be riding in Mexico, I told them I wasent sure and the gave me an additional registration. I only have a week so theres plenty to see around Tucson and Phoenix.  Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 07:25:52 AM »

Like Spider said, I would pass on Nogales & for that matter most all of the border towns.  Until you get into the interior, it's not really worth the effort usually.

You are right, RR, there's plenty to see/ride around Tucson & Phoenix.

If you ever decide to go to Mexico, make DOUBLE SURE all numbers match on all "official" papers. One digit, one letter off & you may not be able to bring whatever back into the US.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 09:14:46 AM »

I went to Acapulco Mexico last February. All I can say is, when I got back to the good ole USA, I kissed the ground. GOD BLESS AMERICA.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

twincam

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 11:52:14 PM »

I live 45  miles from mexico..... and I dam sure wont be riding my bike there!!!!!!!but, I am close to Tucson, so if you want someone to show you the sites pm me!!!!!!!!!

chunngle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »

If you are renting in Tucson then i would stay in the states. Plenty of good riding in those parts. Head south of Tucson through Sonoita then east to Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglas (walk across the border,,,you will see all you want to see in about an hour and a half,,,lol). From this point head North through Wilcox, Safford, Morenci, Alpine (either Tal-Wi-Wi or the Greer Lodge are great places to spend the night). Head East to Show Low then either start your Southern descent through the Salt River Canyon to Globe, Florence and Tucson or (my choice) continue East to Payson then North through Strawberry, Pine, Happy Jack and Flagstaff. Then go South through Sedona, Jerome, Prescott, Wickenburg, Phoenix and Tucson.
Any variation of this route will blow away anything that Mexico has to offer. Definately avoid the border towns. We rented bikes in Cabo San Lucas last year and had no problems what so ever. Well except for the roads, drivers and cattle....lol. It was a nice ride along the coast though.
Hope this helps. Ride safe.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »

I rode to Cabo 2 years ago and it was great.  Another guy on the ride did a fly-and-ride out of San Diego with Mexican insurance, etc, with no problems. 
2012 Black/Orange SEUC
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.