Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Broken Shifter Pedal Shaft  (Read 3567 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Broken Shifter Pedal Shaft
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:53:31 AM »

I was heading over to HD-Dude's yesterday when I go to downshift into 2nd and find that the front shifter pedal isn't there.  Reach for the heel shifter and it's gone too!  Turns out that the shaft that holds the shifter pedals sheared and that my shifter pedals were laying on the floorboard and the lower fairing.  I ended up riding the last 20 or so miles shifting without the clutch and reaching down with my hand and shifting by grabbing the horizontal linkage.  Couldn't clutch and shift since you need your left hand for both.  I'm just real glad that the pedals stayed on the bike instead of me shelling out ~$400 for new ones!  Thanks Jim for replacing the shaft and I'm glad that it happened yesterday and not during our Ft Bragg ride this weekend!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Broken Shifter Pedal Shaft
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »

Wow Ernie, good thing you didn't lose the shifters and you were someplsace you could handle the shifting. 

Imagine it happening out on the road in cruise mode, you may not have been able to find the shifters and been in a pickle finding a shop too.

We sure have had our share of shifter issues lately with WFP's stripping out and Fuzzy's wife crashing.....

Glad your event was  more mellow.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 10:23:26 AM »

I was heading over to HD-Dude's yesterday when I go to downshift into 2nd and find that the front shifter pedal isn't there.  Reach for the heel shifter and it's gone too!  Turns out that the shaft that holds the shifter pedals sheared and that my shifter pedals were laying on the floorboard and the lower fairing.  I ended up riding the last 20 or so miles shifting without the clutch and reaching down with my hand and shifting by grabbing the horizontal linkage.  Couldn't clutch and shift since you need your left hand for both.  I'm just real glad that the pedals stayed on the bike instead of me shelling out ~$400 for new ones!  Thanks Jim for replacing the shaft and I'm glad that it happened yesterday and not during our Ft Bragg ride this weekend!
Ernie,
Glad to hear that you didn't loose the pedals and were able to get to your destination. The more and more that I hear about this the more and more it makes me want to look down everytime I shift. :nervous: Something you take for granted and expect to be there seems to be not so. :-\

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Tros

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:20:47 PM »

Hmmmm....AutoClutch or...

"old school"

I'm not being a smartass, just offering alternatives. ;)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 01:11:09 PM »

I'm posing this question as food for thought, but...it has always seemed to me that heel shifting puts more stress on the shifter and thus the shaft than would toe shifting...isn't the heel shifter on the outside of the shaft?  So, it would seem there might be a bit more shear forces involved, plus more stress on the splines.

I have more "feel" with my toe than with my heel of when the bike actually clicks into gear.  I'm just thinking out loud here...and this is not meant to be a discussion about which method is "better", just one of mechanical forces at work, one vs the other.  No other bike I can think of utilizes a heel shifter...maybe there's a reason for that?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »

I'm posing this question as food for thought, but...it has always seemed to me that heel shifting puts more stress on the shifter and thus the shaft than would toe shifting...isn't the heel shifter on the outside of the shaft?  So, it would seem there might be a bit more shear forces involved, plus more stress on the splines.

I have more "feel" with my toe than with my heel of when the bike actually clicks into gear.  I'm just thinking out loud here...and this is not meant to be a discussion about which method is "better", just one of mechanical forces at work, one vs the other.  No other bike I can think of utilizes a heel shifter...maybe there's a reason for that?

I have to agree that heel shifting puts more stress, but you would think that a 1/2" steel shaft with no tension on it would be able to handle this.

Rjob, once you get used to shifting by hand with no clutch, it wasn't a really big deal.  If I was in the middle of Monatana or somewhere similar, it probably would have been even easier since I wouldn't have to shift as often  ;D

Just one more thing to keep an eye on when maintaining your scoot...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »

Very interesting thread. Its something to look at before your Sunday ride. The only thing similar that happened to me was the 7/16" nut came loose on the linkage to my forwards on my Fatboy and the shift lever fell limp and almost dragged on the ground. More Loctite I guess. Have fun Ernie. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Tros

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:42:35 PM »

The Star (yamaha) RoadStar & larger bikes use heel & toe shifters.  FL Softails use'em too.  I agree with the toe shift having a better feel than a heel shift. This is the first bike I've had with floor boards and I have rearranged the shifters several times.  Wearing different kinds of boots/shoes also has an effect.  There seems to be very loose tolerance on the fit of the pivot shaft, at least on my bike, sloppy would be the phrase that comes to mind.  I figure it's that way to prevent binding or seizing for those that don't oil it.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »

The Star (yamaha) RoadStar & larger bikes use heel & toe shifters.  FL Softails use'em too.  I agree with the toe shift having a better feel than a heel shift. This is the first bike I've had with floor boards and I have rearranged the shifters several times.  Wearing different kinds of boots/shoes also has an effect.  There seems to be very loose tolerance on the fit of the pivot shaft, at least on my bike, sloppy would be the phrase that comes to mind.  I figure it's that way to prevent binding or seizing for those that don't oil it.

If it's "sloppy" while the shaft is solid you're about to lose it (stipped on the inside). I've no idea why they don't put a grease fitting on it.  :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 01:59:09 PM »

If it's "sloppy" while the shaft is solid you're about to lose it (stipped on the inside). I've no idea why they don't put a grease fitting on it.  :nixweiss:

On the new bikes the bushings are replaceable. On my '99, there is a zerk fitting in the boss, but no replaceable bushings. I guess there's more money in replacing worn out bushings than simply putting in 1/10 oz. of grease at each service.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 02:00:44 PM »

If you only use a toe shifter, they make a cap to cover the end of the shaft. This will help keep the toe shifter from coming off. You do without your heel shifter with it. But it's an option for keeping the toe shifter on the bike at least! Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Tros

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 02:02:17 PM »

I mean in the bushing area not the splined area.  I just put a few drops of oil on the bushing from time to time.  

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 07:05:08 PM »

Hmmmm....AutoClutch or...

"old school"

I'm not being a smartass, just offering alternatives. ;)

bet ya dood wants one with a 9 ball. :pumpkin:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Tros

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 07:30:27 PM »

With the auto clutch and cruise control you could have hands free riding.  :huepfenjump3:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »

Never heard of this happening before. They shifter levers come off all the time ( usually in the middle of nowhere) but that's one of those things that endears us to our Harley's so much - - - - - - - - NOT I'd be on my dealer about this for full warranty coverage big time. Make the MoCO pay hd dude's bill 

B B
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.