Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crankshaft bearings  (Read 1498 times)

Tros

Crankshaft bearings
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:14:45 PM »

I read this the other day and wondered if it was true.

96 CID engines are known to have weak crankshaft bearings. For serious performance work these bearing must be replaced with the heavy duty bearings used in the CVO 110 engine. The 110 upgrade kit does not contain these  bearings.
Any 96CID based engine that is going to experience 'severe use' or is expected to produce over 110HP should consider this bearing upgrade. When the OEM bearings have a problem, the engine will experience a catastrophic failure.

Here's the url http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_performance_upgrades.htm  scroll down to "performance notes".  I was mainly interested in the Hot Exhaust Fix (HEF02) but the crank bearing thing caught my attention.  I didn't know there was much, in any, difference between the 96 & 110 bearings.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Crankshaft bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:05:04 PM »

Any of the twin cam motors built since 2003 can have a bearing problem. A lot of people are doing the timken bearing up grade and removing the roller bearing from the left side of the case.

Most aftermarket engine builders reccomend that any Twin cam motor produced from 2003 and up that produces over 100 ft lbs of TQ should have the Timken upgrade. Not seeing the inside of a CVO 110 as of yet I would think the MOCO has put a heavier roller on the left side.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Tros

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:38:46 PM »

OK, thanks.  I rekon I'll visit my parts guy and have him check the left side part numbers. 

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »

OK, thanks.  I rekon I'll visit my parts guy and have him check the left side part numbers. 

I see that the '07 110's have a unique part number for the left main bearing; although the flywheel assembly is the same as the 96" machines. I don't have other specifics yet.

djkak

Tros

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »

I see that the '07 110's have a unique part number for the left main bearing; although the flywheel assembly is the same as the 96" machines. I don't have other specifics yet.

djkak

Well thank you much.  I hadn't gotten around to paying a visit to my parts guy.     

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.