Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Laconia 2007  (Read 4539 times)

SPIDERMAN

Laconia 2007
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:37:19 PM »

I know I know, I live in San Diego, why the hell am I starting a thread on Laconia ?  Well I lived in Maine for 44 years before coming out here in January of 98. I went to Laconia for my first time in 1972 and every year thereafter up till the time I moved here. My last time was two years ago in 05 when I rode from San Diego to Laconia and - - - - - -well part of the way back. Anyway for all those years I lived in Maine, every year about this time I'd start to anticipate heading out with my bros and old friends for the long Laconia weekend. Back in those days it was pretty much a Thursday to Sunday event; now I know it's been turned into Laconia Motorcycle Week. C'est la vie eh ? Anyway, old habits die hard and I'm sittin here reminiscing about Laconia's past and realize just how much I miss it. For those of us from the Northeast, it was always our Sturgis, our Daytona. AND, it's the oldest event of all of them. SO, I thought I'd start this thread and sit back and read the posts of those of you fortunate enough to be heading to Weir's Beach and surrounding environs in about 6 weeks. Wish I could join you

B B

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
Re: Laconia 2007
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »

You know I will be there BB. Hopefully sometime soon you can make the trek back east for Laconia Bike week and we could put on some miles going to your old stomping grounds in Maine and get us some lubstah! Be Good, Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 10:20:40 AM »

Another for ya. I know you like this one.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »

JQ,
     What a perfect metaphor for Laconia, the Weir's sign with a cop van in the frame. I cannot think of Laconia without thinking of cops, cops and more freakin cops. I swear to the almighty that every copy from NYC to Ft Kent Maine is on duty in the 50 sq mile area that surrounds Weirs. Thanks for reminding me of what I hated about Laconia. But I still miss it. There was one NH State Trooper I looked forward to seeing every year. He looked like Don Rickles only with really crooked teeth. Shaved his head light years before it was a fashion thing. He rode himself ( Blue Knights) and was cool in a way most cops wouldn't understand if you wrote them a book on how to be that way. Man the memories come flowing back like the stream in the background of your bike ( Snow Falls by the way) Thanks buddy

B B

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 03:38:25 PM »

I miss going to laconia too,,,,went for years also, now live in South West Fl {FT Myers}....its too cold up there, been down here in the south for 9 years now, and I dont do cold any more, But I do miss riding the Kankamangus. So intead of Laconia...think I'll head south to the keys for weekend and do some diving, for anyone going please post after you return and let us know how it was...Sitting on Rt 3 in traffic...Ha...........have fun
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »

Dang, it's been almost 30 years since I went to Laconia back in the 70's.  I must be getting old!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »

Spiderman, any special joints you want me to checkout for you when I'm up there? :)
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »

I think we are making plans for a trip to the Connecticut Lakes on Thursday or Friday.

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »

... Anyway for all those years I lived in Maine, every year about this time I'd start to anticipate heading out with my bros and old friends for the long Laconia weekend. Back in those days it was pretty much a Thursday to Sunday event; now I know it's been turned into Laconia Motorcycle Week. C'est la vie eh ? Anyway, old habits die hard and I'm sittin here reminiscing about Laconia's past and realize just how much I miss it. For those of us from the Northeast, it was always our Sturgis, our Daytona. AND, it's the oldest event of all of them. SO, I thought I'd start this thread and sit back and read the posts of those of you fortunate enough to be heading to Weir's Beach and surrounding environs in about 6 weeks. Wish I could join you

B B

Just got back from Laconia.  Got soaked in both directions on Saturday, but managed to hit most of the vendors and get that out of the way while the crowds were light because of the weather.  Nothing like riding in the rain for a couple of hours at 10:00 at night ...  The crowds were SO light that we rode without stopping right onto Lakeside Ave. and parked smack in the middle without waiting at all. 

Sunday was excellent.  70's, sun and puffy clouds.  Spent the time people watching and sitting looking at the lake for a while.  Crowds were definitely up.  The stop-and-go into Weirs was bad enough that I thought the 110 was going to melt.  I ended up shutting it down on the downhills and coasting as we inched along.  We finally bailed, paid for parking and walked in.  Wanted to hit the Broken Spoke and some of the vendors over there, but didn't want to sit through the traffic to do it.  Maybe we'll come in from 104 next weekend.

The vendors were pretty disappointing.  I was hoping for more distributers, bike makers and manufacturers (seats and stuff).  80% of what's there is t-shirt vendors. Most of the rest is leather, patches, and misc., with only a handful of really interesting set-ups.  Why do the major companies bypass Laconia?  They're all over the other major events.

Paid the usual "special" prices for event food.  $5/beer at one!  Oh well.  Had a good time, in spite of the bitchin' above.  Didn't see a lot of colors or attitudes.  Hell's Angels had a pretty good presence, but most were hanging around the upper end of Lakeside at the bar next to the Mexican place.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »

thanx for the report BC....sounds like the same ole Laconia, Iffy weather lots of traffic..........still wish i was up there!!! :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
 RIDE SOBER

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 11:20:15 PM »

Well actually Laconia weather HAS changed some, because I always used to get drenched on the way home on Father's Day, but never on the way to a couple days earlier the day before FD (Saturday) was always a bazillion degrees.

The MMMC used to set up on the right side of the road just above the Water Slide. Back then there was a house where the Camel Tent is now. Anyway, we'd sit there with a couple garden hoses and cameras. People would be coastin down the hill barely moving and we'd offer conversation, beer to the ones that were cool and cajole the women into flashing or getting a nice cool shower. Lots of photo ops for the bros and plenty of good clean fun. No cops as they were all down the hill at Weirs.

Nothing ever stays the same. Last time I was there in 05 it seemed like Corporate America holding a picnic.You know sometimes I wish some of my friends that have gotten into the biker thing in the past 10 years could have seen it 30 years ago. Sure, the bikes are far superior now and riding coast to coast is something you can do without having to quit your job, but there was also more of sense of being an individual back then. Maybe more of a rebel. I think we all need that now and then you know. Having some small part of our life that allows us to feel free of the burdens of society. Sigghhhhhhhhh 

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 11:07:39 AM »

Well actually Laconia weather HAS changed some, because I always used to get drenched on the way home on Father's Day, but never on the way to a couple days earlier the day before FD (Saturday) was always a bazillion degrees.

The MMMC used to set up on the right side of the road just above the Water Slide. Back then there was a house where the Camel Tent is now. Anyway, we'd sit there with a couple garden hoses and cameras. People would be coastin down the hill barely moving and we'd offer conversation, beer to the ones that were cool and cajole the women into flashing or getting a nice cool shower. Lots of photo ops for the bros and plenty of good clean fun. No cops as they were all down the hill at Weirs.

Well, weather was better this weekend.  Took the long ride around the lake - beautiful and sunny, with a couple of stops to walk around.  We headed up to the Broken Spoke after that, spent an hour or so, then headed back.  Cooled off in a hurry. 

Never saw a flash all weekend.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 01:38:28 PM »

love that ride around the lake, would always stop in wolfboro for lunch, sounds cool BC....sounds like you had a nice time
2000 FLTRSEI
 RIDE SOBER

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »

Went last Sunday for the day and this Satruday-Sunday.  Way too many cops, we saw more arrests for no cause last night.  It was disgusting.  We sat on the road down to the bridge (11B) from Governor's island with chairs and beers around 5PM and the traffic moves good.  We saw a dude on a Dyna ridin on the single seat with a girl on the seat (He was back seat driving) whoa, the cop coming the other way saw it and made an attempt of a u turn on a busy street without light ons and almost had three or four bros pile into him.  Seconnds latter, Barney caused this dude and dudette to go off the road into the gravel and they went down.  She wend head first into the ground.  He was in bracelets in seconds.  Nothing like causing an accident.  It was a brand new Street Bob.  Girl to the hospital, guy to the pokie, bike..... who knows.

Like was already said, too many cops, university police, corrections officers,

On the road down from the Spoke to the bridge we counted 17 cruisers.

We saw less poice in the whole 31 miles of Myrtle Beach.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »

Went last Sunday for the day and this Satruday-Sunday.  Way too many cops, we saw more arrests for no cause last night.  It was disgusting.  We sat on the road down to the bridge (11B) from Governor's island with chairs and beers around 5PM and the traffic moves good.  We saw a dude on a Dyna ridin on the single seat with a girl on the seat (He was back seat driving) whoa, the cop coming the other way saw it and made an attempt of a u turn on a busy street without light ons and almost had three or four bros pile into him.  Seconnds latter, Barney caused this dude and dudette to go off the road into the gravel and they went down.  She wend head first into the ground.  He was in bracelets in seconds.  Nothing like causing an accident.  It was a brand new Street Bob.  Girl to the hospital, guy to the pokie, bike..... who knows.

Like was already said, too many cops, university police, corrections officers,

On the road down from the Spoke to the bridge we counted 17 cruisers.

We saw less poice in the whole 31 miles of Myrtle Beach.

That's the trouble with northern New England, the average cop doesn't get enough action, so even the more rational ones turn into a$$holes with a badge and gun during Laconia. Guess I don't miss it as much as I thought. I've seen what you described more times than I'd like to remember.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 25 queries.