Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Pictures of your garage/workshop  (Read 64037 times)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Re: Pictures of your garage/workshop
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »

This thread's been inactive for a while now but it looked like the right place for this.

I just replaced the two incandescent lights in my garage with 4 foot LED's and they really light the place up!

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »

This thread's been inactive for a while now but it looked like the right place for this.

I just replaced the two incandescent lights in my garage with 4 foot LED's and they really light the place up!
So Joe, who belongs to the RK?
The "TAZMUN"

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2016, 10:40:33 PM »

So Joe, who belongs to the RK?

That would be my new toy.

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2016, 11:17:58 PM »

Joe,
How many miles on your SE8 ?
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2016, 05:53:47 AM »

That new workbench looks good!
And it looks like it's getting plenty of use.  The lighting came out nice too.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

ultrarider123

« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »

Great looking garage and as it should be....the bikes inside and the 4 wheeled animals allowed to remain outside.... :2vrolijk_21:
I like the new RK, Joe.  How are you liking the ride? 

I almost went LED's in the garage but went with 2, 4 bulb T5 White High Output Fluorescent route.  Going from standard fluorescent to these was actually a night to day difference.  I wanted the LED and at some point may move up to that.  Happy with the T5 currently.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2016, 10:57:27 AM »

Joe,
How many miles on your SE8 ?

Hi Lars,

I've got about 15,000 miles on it. My wife had a rough year with her health in 2015 so it sat lot. This years gonna be better, she's already talking about riding and the MV GTG!

That new workbench looks good!
And it looks like it's getting plenty of use.  The lighting came out nice too.

A really good friend of mine gave me the counter top and it worked out great!  :2vrolijk_21: I had it full of stuff before I was done building it. The shop is finally getting together. I'm sitting here now waiting on the trucking company to deliver my milling machine. Ordering my TIG welder next and I should be set!

Great looking garage and as it should be....the bikes inside and the 4 wheeled animals allowed to remain outside.... :2vrolijk_21:
I like the new RK, Joe.  How are you liking the ride? 

I almost went LED's in the garage but went with 2, 4 bulb T5 White High Output Fluorescent route.  Going from standard fluorescent to these was actually a night to day difference.  I wanted the LED and at some point may move up to that.  Happy with the T5 currently.

Thanks Howard! Janet hated pulling the car into the garage because of the narrow door but I was trying to protect the paint . Once I gave up and let her leave the car outside I realized that the garage was now all mine! Don't know what I was thinking before.

I actually went over to buy fluorescent light when I got the LEDs. I didn't even know they made the 4' units until I saw them at Lowe's. They were a little more expensive ($50 for the hanging unit and $70 for the flush mount) but I'm really happy with the results. I put the hanging unit between the two ceiling mounted ones and use it when I'm cleaning/working on the bikes. I had/have a four bulb fluorescent over the bench to the right of my tool box and put the 2 bulb unit that was in the middle under the shelf above the new bench. When I turn all the lights on, it looks like an operating room. I think I'm going to add one more LED to light up the back end of the lift and then I'll be done.  I was putting a Yaffe license plate frame on the RK this weekend and I noticed the back end is shadowed a little.

Riding the RK is a LOT of fun. It feels more like the metrics I grew up with. I love my Ultra and the RK isn't as fast as it but it does feel way more sporty. So far, I'm really happy with the purchase.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »

my milling machine. Ordering my TIG welder next

RK isn't as fast...

What kind of milling machine and TIG welder are you getting?

When is the RK headed south?
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »

What kind of milling machine and TIG welder are you getting?

When is the RK headed south?

I bought this mill from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-horsepower-heavy-duty-milling-drilling-machine-33686.html . I uncrated it a little while ago but it's still sitting on the pallet. I'm impressed with the look of it, it's much more substantial than I thought it'd be.

I think I've settled on a Miller Diversion 180 TIG welder. It'll do anything I want to do in the garage and it only weighs about 50 pounds.

Hopefully I'll be making the trip soon. Every time I think about going something comes up here at home. Can't wait to get her "tuned up".

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »

I think I've settled on a Miller Diversion 180 TIG welder. It'll do anything I want to do in the garage and it only weighs about 50 pounds.

Before you buy, take a look at the Htp Invertig 221 sold by USWeld.com.  Superb equipment and customer service can't be beat.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »

I bought this mill from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-horsepower-heavy-duty-milling-drilling-machine-33686.html . I uncrated it a little while ago but it's still sitting on the pallet. I'm impressed with the look of it, it's much more substantial than I thought it'd be.

Hopefully I'll be making the trip soon. Every time I think about going something comes up here at home. Can't wait to get her "tuned up".

Joe, the Miller unit you refer to, is that going to be a scratch start TIG?  Or pedal or hand control amperage?

I have an older very little used Lincoln Square Wave 185 TIG and it has the foot pedal to start the arc.  I had a high freq box mounted to a new Lincoln 225 amp AC/DC stick welder with all the gas valves setup, but that one I had to start the arc by scratching and I just could not get used to the scratch to start.

Good luck with your purchases, they look great.

When I moved down to the greater St. Louis area from mid Michigan back in 2002, I had a old but nice Atlas lathe and used it on the street rods quite a bit.  But ever since I tore it down to pieces for the move, it's been up in the garage attic storage area.  I've times when I "could" have used it, but it takes up way too much floor space for such little use.  When I retire in a few more years I plan on having an actual workshop again instead of just a three car garage with three cycles and two cars occupying it all the time.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2016, 09:39:07 PM »

Before you buy, take a look at the Htp Invertig 221 sold by USWeld.com.  Superb equipment and customer service can't be beat.

Thanks Pete, I'll check it out.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »

Joe, the Miller unit you refer to, is that going to be a scratch start TIG?  Or pedal or hand control amperage?

I have an older very little used Lincoln Square Wave 185 TIG and it has the foot pedal to start the arc.  I had a high freq box mounted to a new Lincoln 225 amp AC/DC stick welder with all the gas valves setup, but that one I had to start the arc by scratching and I just could not get used to the scratch to start.

Good luck with your purchases, they look great.

When I moved down to the greater St. Louis area from mid Michigan back in 2002, I had a old but nice Atlas lathe and used it on the street rods quite a bit.  But ever since I tore it down to pieces for the move, it's been up in the garage attic storage area.  I've times when I "could" have used it, but it takes up way too much floor space for such little use.  When I retire in a few more years I plan on having an actual workshop again instead of just a three car garage with three cycles and two cars occupying it all the time.

The Miller has a foot pedal control. I've attached their brochure. I used bigger Miller welders when I worked in machine shops and they always did the job, that's why I looked at this one. It's small but it's going to be a hobby welder so I'm pretty sure it'll do all I need, but I am going to take a look at the unit Pete suggested before I buy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2016, 09:59:16 PM »

The Miller has a foot pedal control. I've attached their brochure. I used bigger Miller welders when I worked in machine shops and they always did the job, that's why I looked at this one. It's small but it's going to be a hobby welder so I'm pretty sure it'll do all I need, but I am going to take a look at the unit Pete suggested before I buy.

Joe, strictly for fwiw but I've made the mistake of thinking "oh, a 'little' welder is fine" for the garage or hobby shop at home.  And it may be for tacking a mower deck back together or other similar chores.  If the welder is there, however, sooner rather than later there will be some off piece of heavier material you'd like to stick.  It'll annoy you.  So if budget allows and you're choosing between a "little" welder that will do all those chores you've convinced yourself you need to (to justify the purchase now) and spending not that much more to get something a little bigger just bite the bullet.  It'll save you wanting to kick yourself in your own butt later on.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2016, 11:18:17 PM »

Joe, strictly for fwiw but I've made the mistake of thinking "oh, a 'little' welder is fine" for the garage or hobby shop at home.  And it may be for tacking a mower deck back together or other similar chores.  If the welder is there, however, sooner rather than later there will be some off piece of heavier material you'd like to stick.  It'll annoy you.  So if budget allows and you're choosing between a "little" welder that will do all those chores you've convinced yourself you need to (to justify the purchase now) and spending not that much more to get something a little bigger just bite the bullet.  It'll save you wanting to kick yourself in your own butt later on.

Yeah, I know exactly what you're saying. That's why I haven't bought a welder yet.

I went through the same thing with the mill. "This one should be fine (but a Bridgeport would definitely do anything I'd ever want)." The side work I've done over the past 10 years could all be done with the smaller machines, and that's what I'm trying to base my selections on. One thing that I've got going for me is that I still have access to the shop I used to work at and they've got all the gear I'd ever need. This smaller mill and whatever welder I end up with should eliminate most of the runs to Nashville I've made for a "30 minute job". I will admit, I'm trying to save a few bucks here so I can get a little work done on the Road King soon.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.