Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Freeway (Interstate) Safety  (Read 5349 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Freeway (Interstate) Safety
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:59:52 PM »

Saturday afternoon I was riding with 6 other bikes down the freeway when we had a breakdown.  We all pulled over onto the shoulder to assess the situation.  Unfortunately, the broken bike (mine) needed to be trucked since it wasn't able to move under its own power.  While on the side of the road, one of the other rider's gloves blew off of his seat and was moving along the right edge of traffic.  Even though we told him to forget about the glove, he attempted to retrieve it, causing the cars on the freeway to brake hard since they didn't know what he was doing.  One car, which was behind a truck so he couldn't see, couldn't stop so he veered onto the shoulder to avoid crashing into the truck. He veered right into us!  I don't know how he missed the bikes and us, but we had to scramble to avoid being run over!  We almost lost our lives and/or our bikes due to someone worrying about a frigging glove!   By the grace of god we were all spared, but it was a matter of inches!  After getting the bike towed, we had a serious conversation about safety and getting everyone off of the road that doesn't absolutely have to be there, and if they want me to ride with this person again he will not pull a stunt like that again.

Bottom line people, the shoulder of a freeway or interstate is a very dangerous place so get everyone off that doesn't absolutely need to be there!  You may want to reinforce this with the people that you ride with.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Freeway (Interstate) Safety
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:04:06 PM »

I hope you didn't mince your words with him.  having someone act like that in your group ain't very helpful, if you wanna get home in one piece.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 03:17:16 PM »

Thanks for sharing....
Excellent advise.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:20:23 PM »

I'm glad everyone was ok..  Thanks for the safety lesson.  Berms are not a very safe place.  I always say a prayer for a person changing tires on the traffic side.  Too many officers have been killed too this way.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »

I'm glad that nobody was hurt and no damage to the bikes (outside of the initial breakdown).  The next thing that comes to mind is.........do I know this person? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »

Ernie, what failed on your bike?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »

Good advice, Ernie...it scares the chit out of me to be on the side of the interstate.

What broke on your bike?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:56:09 PM »

I am glad no one was hurt.
I know things are going to vary since it's different for an organized run or event compaired to a small group of friends out for a fun run. On larger or organized runs we try to just have one or two bikes stop for a breakdown or problem they are usually in the back and the rest of the group continues on the run or they stop at the next safe place off of the roadway. That is when CBs help in keeping the group organized and safe. In our group we discourage everyone from stopping since it increases the chance of problems since someone may run into you if you try to stop not just cars or trucks either.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 05:03:05 PM »

I am glad no one was hurt.
I know things are going to vary since it's different for an organized run or event compared to a small group of friends out for a fun run. On larger or organized runs we try to just have one or two bikes stop for a breakdown or problem they are usually in the back and the rest of the group continues on the run or they stop at the next safe place off of the roadway. That is when CBs help in keeping the group organized and safe. In our group we discourage everyone from stopping since it increases the chance of problems since someone may run into you if you try to stop not just cars or trucks either.

Glad to hear no one was hurt also.

On our organized rides the tail gunner will stay with a bike on the side of the road and the group continues forward to either the next stop or the next safe place to stop.  Too many bikes on side of road = disaster waiting to happen.  The group leader evaluates the situation at that point and someone stays or all go, depending on what happened, where, etc.

Too many times on the side of the road I have seen a cage cell phone yakker almost take bikes/cars out plus you have flying debris from passing trucks, etc.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 05:37:16 PM »

Know the theory, thanks for the reinforcement.  Glad everyone did indeed get off the highway with life and limb.  Could have been a horrible tragedy.  Hope you bike is getting fixed. 

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 06:41:14 PM »

I don't know what broke on the bike yet, but I think it has something to do with the clutch.  It was feeling really weird so I decided to go home and park it, but I didn't make it.  Jim just trailered it to his house so I should know more soon.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 08:32:21 PM »

Glad no one was hurt !
Wow...

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »

First, I wish your scoot a speedy recovery, 2nd, thanks for the safety lesson, I'm sure we all get a little complacent at some point, this just gives us that reminder. Just glad you all came out safe in the end, could have been a tragedy.

Ride safe

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 12:42:21 AM »

Picked up Ernie's bike today, Here is what happened:

First I pulled the derby cover and found the hub loose. I expected to find the nut backed off. Then i removed the clip that holds the clutch rod in and pulled the rod out. Looked inside to find the internal clip floating around (see pic). Checked the nut and it was tight. tried to loosen nut and the shaft just spun. I had to put the bike in gear to remove the nut with the imact wrench as that held the tranny main shaft. Normally the shaft is held by the clutch hub and locking tool.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 12:51:36 AM by hd-dude »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.