Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Ambient Temperature Gauge  (Read 9597 times)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Ambient Temperature Gauge
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 05:57:26 PM »

Let's see they (HD) put a gauge on the bike that is meaning less then have an upgrade kit (Oil Gauge) to sell you to make the whole in the farring usable.  ;D No wonder their laughing all the way to the bank  :D :D My gauge works (doesn't sit on 0) and as close as the gas gauge :) it shows what it's like in the farring and that's good enough for me  :confused5:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 06:04:14 PM »

Let's see they (HD) put a gauge on the bike that is meaning less then have an upgrade kit (Oil Gauge) to sell you to make the whole in the farring usable.  ;D No wonder their laughing all the way to the bank  :D :D My gauge works (doesn't sit on 0) and as close as the gas gauge :) it shows what it's like in the farring and that's good enough for me  :confused5:

Never thought about it really, but why do they put two rain gauges in?  (air/gas)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 10:57:02 PM »

I understand now...its a fairing gauge. Must have been a typo in my owners manual, so now we can put this thread to rest. I wonder if Harley looks at this site.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »

I understand now...its a fairing gauge. Must have been a typo in my owners manual, so now we can put this thread to rest. I wonder if Harley looks at this site.

Many here believe they do.  That's how the passenger headset plug was relocated, just to name one item we think they got here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:20:13 AM by Rjob749 »

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 10:17:25 AM »

Thanks Rjob749, It would be great if one of the big shots would post. This forum has seems to respect the opinions of all who enter.  Grandpadoc

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 04:49:54 PM »

Never thought about it really, but why do they put two rain gauges in?  (air/gas)

One is actually dry bulb temp and the other is wet bulb, Rog...if you have both those readings you can figure out with your handy-dandy psychometric chart what the relative humidity is.  Tip: if it's 100%, it's probably raining... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »

One is actually dry bulb temp and the other is wet bulb, Rog...if you have both those readings you can figure out with your handy-dandy psychometric chart what the relative humidity is.  Tip: if it's 100%, it's probably raining... ;)

Thanks for the explanation Terry, now I know I need to carry more of my computer stuff with me to do it.

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 05:25:36 PM »

With an air temperature drop compensator chart everyone should be able to adjust the analog reading to the temperature just 16 inches above the tank.  I know that's what I do and I'm never wrong. My  watch has the built in compensator and reads dead on from 0-120mph. Above 120 I have trouble reading the numbers with my hands shaking and all :pineapple:
5 P's = Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 07:54:53 PM »

Aha! At last the true explanation.

I was misled by the official MoCo explantion that the fairing temperture gauge also known as the rain gauge also was the oral and/or rectal temperture of the fairing gnome that screws up my Harmon Kardon 147 feature radio from the depths of hell.

Of course many CVO owners have already upgraded to the fairing gremlin and the rare few have upgraded to the fairing hobogoblin.  Their HK radios only work when the humidity is perfect.  Those gauges are the indicators. ;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »

Aha! At last the true explanation.

I was misled by the official MoCo explantion that the fairing temperture gauge also known as the rain gauge also was the oral and/or rectal temperture of the fairing gnome that screws up my Harmon Kardon 147 feature radio from the depths of hell.

Of course many CVO owners have already upgraded to the fairing gremlin and the rare few have upgraded to the fairing hobogoblin.  Their HK radios only work when the humidity is perfect.  Those gauges are the indicators. ;)

iski,

I never tire of reading your posts. You have a great talent, being a smart a$$, to make your total BS actually interesting to read.

This may sound like a slap or crack on you, but I'm serious. I love your wacky posts.

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »

What you guys don't understand is that the temp guage is HD's secret weapon to assure complete dominance of the goldwing/bmw crowd.  On my SEUC, even if the ambient temp on the goldwing next to me is 45 degrees and  he's  freezing your A$% off, Iwon't be cold or feeling a thing  on MY harley; the temp is always 85!  So the next time you need to explain to a goldwing guy why HD is better, forget the tattoos, beer and dress like a pirate stuff.  Just tell them that harley makes sure it's always warm when you're riding.....
I rode from SoCal to the sierras over the weekend;700 mile round trip went from Santa Monica, at 75 degrees and sea level, to Mammoth Lakes, at 8500 feet and 45 degrees.  Went through the high desert where the ambient temp was over 100. 
But not on MY harley.  If I felt hot or cold all I had to do was look at my temp guage to be reassured; it was always 85. 
What a great bike.........
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 12:14:11 PM »

I didn't know the rain gauge did all that chit  :nixweiss: .  I still ain't putting mine back in  >:( .

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 01:19:57 PM »

iski,

I never tire of reading your posts. You have a great talent, being a smart a$$, to make your total BS actually interesting to read.

This may sound like a slap or crack on you, but I'm serious. I love your wacky posts.

Chief,
That's just the Fla. cracker comin' out in him.....  :P  ;D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »

Chief,
That's just the Fla. cracker comin' out in him.....  :P  ;D

Well, I'm one of them there crackers too. Transplanted to GA after roasting my noodle in the FL sun for 30 years. Maybe I got out just in time.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

I didn't know the rain gauge did all that chit  :nixweiss: .  I still ain't putting mine back in  >:( .

Don, obviously you did not purchase the HD Air Temperature/Rain Gauge/Fuel Gauge Supplemental Service Manual, part number FYITAOMT-DW?, $69.95, which includes the tiny wet condoms needed to place over the temperature sensor to read the wet bulbous temperature so you can accuately determine the temp/RH of whatever environment you are about to enter.  Critical information...the ommision may lead to serious injury, or Death.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.