Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cylinder Fins Pitting  (Read 2695 times)

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Cylinder Fins Pitting
« on: May 18, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »

I tried to post this earlier and it hasn't posted yet, so I Will try again. Sorry if it duplicates.

I have some pitting on the fins on the front jug. The pitting is primarily on the front and left side. I do live in a salty environment-St Pete-but the bike is wellmaintained and it is covered when it is not being ridden. It has been in rain twice; first time when I took delivery in Pa(9/11/06) and second time was on a PGR in Orlando last November. Need input/advice before I go to the dealer. he bike has 5100 miles.

Don S

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
Re: Cylinder Fins Pitting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:54:12 PM »

Hate to tell you this, but it sounds like salt and sand pitting to me.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:00:11 AM »

I tried to post this earlier and it hasn't posted yet, so I Will try again. Sorry if it duplicates.

I have some pitting on the fins on the front jug. The pitting is primarily on the front and left side. I do live in a salty environment-St Pete-but the bike is wellmaintained and it is covered when it is not being ridden. It has been in rain twice; first time when I took delivery in Pa(9/11/06) and second time was on a PGR in Orlando last November. Need input/advice before I go to the dealer. he bike has 5100 miles.

Don S

Is it still under warranty - if yes get it to the dealer and plead ignorant

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:25:38 AM »

Black motor or silver?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 10:59:46 AM »

The bike is still in warranty.

The engine is the black one with the edges of the fins silver.

Thanks

Don S

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 05:34:54 PM »

I live just across the bridge from you in Bradenton, No pitting on my fins, But I wash the bike at least once a week. I know some others here who think they take good care of there bikes, but they have pitted fins, they all spray motor with S-100 and rinse, this will not clean salt residue from bare alloy. So much salt in the air that you can not relax, must wash very often, fins are bare alum and they are gonna pit. I would love to know what Jims HD says when you take it back and mention warranty to them for cyl pitting.

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 06:31:57 PM »

DW
    I went by Jim's yesterday and the Asst SM says he "thinks" it is a warranty item but he is sure that the MoCo will want pictures. I have an appointment at Jim's for 6/8. In the meantime, I am going to take it to Fletcher's and get a reading from them. I stay after the bike and I did not see that pitting until after I put the bike up for six weeks while I was out of town. The bike was garaged and covered. Neither my 01 Ultra or my 05 Fatboy exhibited any of this pitting. It is really a bummer.

Don S

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 09:21:14 PM »

Hope all works well with the scoot.

DW,  you mentiond S100 not removing the salt residue, what type of cleaner do you sugest with salt. I'll be moving to Okinawa, Japan later this year and I'm trying to prepare my self for any future isses with salt.

SOKOOL

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 10:00:50 PM »

Today I got my bike from the dealer. They cleaned all of the pitting off using 1400 grit paper. Actually they had the detail guy do it. The service writer wrote it up as "no charge-warranty item". Today when i picked it up, it was no longer a warranty item. Seems the service manager got involved and said it wouldn't fly as a warranty issue. So I had to pay to get it out but thats Ok. I don't mind giving on the little ones.
    Don S

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 11:37:56 PM »

Today I got my bike from the dealer. They cleaned all of the pitting off using 1400 grit paper. Actually they had the detail guy do it. The service writer wrote it up as "no charge-warranty item". Today when i picked it up, it was no longer a warranty item. Seems the service manager got involved and said it wouldn't fly as a warranty issue. So I had to pay to get it out but thats Ok. I don't mind giving on the little ones.
    Don S

Don, it's good they got it taken care of.  It's rather poor, however, that they told you it would be a n/c job then made it a charge job apparently without first getting your approval to proceed with the work.  If they were going to spend your money shouldn't they have been expected to at least ask you first?

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 07:09:25 AM »

I live just across the bridge from you in Bradenton, No pitting on my fins, But I wash the bike at least once a week. I know some others here who think they take good care of there bikes, but they have pitted fins, they all spray motor with S-100 and rinse, this will not clean salt residue from bare alloy. So much salt in the air that you can not relax, must wash very often, fins are bare alum and they are gonna pit. I would love to know what Jims HD says when you take it back and mention warranty to them for cyl pitting.

Your spot on with your call here, some of the guys in the UK use S100 products and don't wash there bikes, they claim "dry miles only"  and I have seen this on some of the older ones but the "only" way to clean and rid the bike of salt is H20 

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 08:06:17 PM »

Don, it's good they got it taken care of.  It's rather poor, however, that they told you it would be a n/c job then made it a charge job apparently without first getting your approval to proceed with the work.  If they were going to spend your money shouldn't they have been expected to at least ask you first?
2lner
      When I first took my bike to the dealer a service writer came out and looked at the corrosion. He deferred to the sm who told me that it was not a warranty issue. When I returned to the dealership to get the work done a second service writer-very experienced one at that-wrote up the work order. He had no idea of what had previously transpired. So when the sm overturned his input I kind of expected it and wasn't too upset. I do agree with you totally that they should of called me and told me it was going from n/c to full charge. I'm OK this time.
     Don S

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 08:22:10 AM »

You have to watch them very closely @ Jims HD. The service people all have a different idea as to what to do, then the tech gets involved with his opinion and then Greenie (dealer mgr)or Jamie (female owner) will override all of them if they think the warranty ratio is to high that month.
They have so much turn-over there in employees that you can literally drop your bike off in the morning with one guy and have another deliver it back that afternoon.
I bought 3 new bikes there between Feb '99 and Oct '04, spent thousands on parts and as of today, I only know of one guy there who would have any idea who I was if asked, everyone else has quit or been fired. (Most now work @ Fletchers HD) Sales mgr I bought my SEEG from now drives a school bus, last I heard.
If you get pitting on cylinders, take a 3M scuff pad (green or red) and using a soapy solution it will easily come off. No reason to pay Jims.

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »

DW
    I probably should have been more clear about the dealerships. Jim's did not work on my bike. I took it to Fletcher's whom I do trust. I have some of the same feelings about Jim's as you do. My feelings extend to the sales group as well.  All of my major services are done at Fletcher's. I may take it to Jim's for an opinion or something but not for work.

Don S

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »

I think the people @ Fletchers are good to deal with. Artie in parts is tops, has 30 years experience, used to be service mgr @ Jims, until Jamie decided he was to smart and might know more than she did, so she demoted him. Tommy Deegan in sales is very good guy. I bought a couple from him when he was @ Jims and intend to buy my new one from him now @ Fletchers.
Glad you have the same opinion. They are good people, Fletcher family still seems to want your business. Jamie could care less @ Jims.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.